[SOLVED] Dolby ATMOS + 7.1.X + Sony Bravia (2020 model see below) + Windows 8/10 PC

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello,

I have never used a Surround system, Sound bar or Sub, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions :p

Can you please be very clear about listing versions of standards/systems that you are talking about to avoid confusion as I'm not up on this stuff.
Eg if you were talking about Bluetooth you'd list which type you were referring too etc... same kind of thing.

PLEASE NOTE - I am mainly asking about all this regarding using My TV as the main playback source - but I also have a Windows 8/10 Desktop PC which I'll probably use with it too. Eg play stuff from their either directly from the PC or send through the TV? Does this sound fine? Any issues with these plans? Don't currently have a fancy sound card but have in and out and mic etc - good enough for intermediate recording/mixing etc. Again - can upgrade the PC Sound card stuff if needed.

I'm also planning on Mostly watching 4K / 2160p Movies/TV Shows - usually as MKV - sometimes other formats... and I'll also use other apps/sites etc such as Youtube, Spotify, Local TV Streaming etc etc

I own a 2020 model Sony Bravia 55" Android Smart TV. Model no is listed as 3x variants around the world but they're all the same TV
Sony X90H Sony X900H Sony X9000H.

The TV has Dolby ATMOS built in but the speakers are super weak on this model cause the TV is soo thin - so I'm tempted to upgrade to external speakers?

I'm not super clear on all the different 'systems' eg with external speakers does Dolby ATMOS mean 7.1.4 ?
Can my TV do other 7.X.X systems too? I'm confused about all the different Dolby formats and other similar things that my TV can also do - or that I should also consider?

I know a lot of the TV Shows and Movies I watch have 7.1 at least or 5.1 at very least... that's why I'm considering this?

I don't like blowing money unnecessarily - but if it's worthwhile and good value I am down for it!

I'm wondering if I can get the Dolby ATMOS and/or 7.1.X system working with SECONDHAND Surround Speakers/Sound bars/Subs etc?
There are LOADS of Surround Speaker Systems, Sound bars and Subs for sale second hand a lot cheaper!

I'm wondering if I can mix and match speakers from different systems to cobble together a functioning Dolby ATMOS or 7.1.X system that sounds almost or just as good as a brand new standalone system?

That way I can save a lot of money - which would make sense especially because I really don't know how much I'll like Surround - or how well it will sound in the room I'm in (small bedroom). That's one other reason why I'm hesistant to spend big straight away. That and I'm cheap unless there's something I really want.

As far as I understand it - if I don't use Sound bars - I'll need to mount some speakers on the ceiling... that might be ok with me if small I guess?

Just how good do proper ATMOS or 7.1.X Surround Sound bars with or without Subs actually sound compared to a proper external Speaker system OR just plain Stereo System?
Is it crap or pretty damn good? Should Sound bars be an option with subs or part of the overall mix with other Surround Speakers?

Or should I just go for all external Surround Sound Speakers and Subs?

I've also heard something about it being better to use 2x Subs because of issues with standing waves and stuff? Is this necessary or a thing at all?
Any other specific things I should know about Surround set ups with any kind of speakers/receivers etc - remember I'm totally green!

I'm thinking I'd heavily lean to wired systems as I know wireless often means lag or other issues... but what do you think?
Would wireless sound in this case use Bluetooth or Wifi or both or something else? I have 100mbit Wireless but no Bluetooth for the TV or PC yet - but could get them if needed?

One thing I'm not clear on - I know before smart TV's - people needed to have a Large Surround Sound RECEIVER (like amp/decoder thing?) and all the speakers plugged into that....
But do you still need those these days with surround systems for what I want?

My TV says it does ATMOS - so does that mean I don't need a RECEIVER to decode the sound into the speakers?
The TV has various sound outputs - which I don't fully understand. for example - eArc, Passthrough, PCM and others etc etc?

Another thing I'd love clarification on...

I watch most of my Movies/TV shows off a HDD plugged into the TV or Wireless from a HDD plugged into the Router... is this going to prevent me from utilising these ATMOS and 7.1.X systems etc?
Is the issue below going to be a problem?

BTW as far as I know my TV has HDMI 2.1 ports with HDCP 2.3 (or upgradeable from 2.2?) ?

So the end of the bit above is this....
I came across this Reddit post... Read the first OP and the 3rd Post to begin with and then the rest if you have time...
The 3rd Post being from ENSLAM where it starts off saying "Its actually a firmware bug. "
Reddit - HDCP/HDMI issue with ATMOS or 7.1.4 etc?

So is this relevant to me or not? If yes - any ways around it?

BTW - will old fashioned 2/2.1.X or even 5.1.X etc and other Dolby's and other systems still sound excellent in a Dolby ATMOS or 7.1.X setup?
Or will they sound awful if your just using stereo for example?
Not sure how that would work - would it only use a few speakers instead?

I also love Recording/Mixing/Producing my own music in my DAW/PC - will that sound ok in Stereo through the system (I know not for mastering or anything just listening back for pleasure) ?

Likewise I play Guitar and Digital Piano etc, have guitar pedals, mics for singing etc.. I assume I can't play live through the Surround Sound Systems etc or it'll damage them? Too weak?
I do have a PA so that's fine if it's the case - but I am curious if it might be ok or loud enough or actually sound good?

So - any other problems or interesting/useful things I need to consider or be aware of that you could tell me about? Remember I'm new to this stuff!
Any pitfalls to avoid? Bad Brands?

Please make your replies as detailed as possible.
I think that's all the questions I have for now (i'm sure you were hoping for more :homer:

Thank you for your time and help!

Dylan Beckett

Solution
First thing, how much are you looking to spend. You can buy a $100 used soundbar with good enough surround sound, a sub and rear speakers to be happy with or a $5,000 receiver and speaker setup.

I went with a used Vizio sound bar, wireless sub with rear speakers, cost me like $70 and sound just fine. Unless you are big into home theater and audio in general, going past the good enough level is likely a waste of money unless you just have enough to go out and get the best even if it's not really needed or you have not listed to anything else to compare to see if it's worth it.

Go to a store that sells audio equipment, listen to some stuff, talk to the people there.
Let's begin by talking about output ports on your devices. The good news is that your TV is supposed to have a toslink optical output port on the back. Can you confirm that its there? Alternately is there are HDMI output port? Also what type of output ports do you have on your computer. An optical output port is obviously best but you may have to make do with standard HDMI or wired ports and we need to know what they are and how many channels they support. So we need to figure out what ports you've got. Add in all of the output ports from your other devices, keyboards, DAW, etc. since you could eventually wire them all into on huge system.

Now normally best case scenario you would connect the optical output ports on your TV (or cable or satellite etc. box) and computer to an AV surround sound receiver. This would decode all of the channels and power the respective speakers. How many channels you have is up to you. If you're going full out, you could have as many as 11 channels, left, center, right, left atmos, right atmos, left side, right side, left rear, right rear, left subwoofer and right subwoofer. Its up to you and your budget. But first you'll need to figure you what all your inputs are going to be and then plan from there.

First thing, how much are you looking to spend. You can buy a $100 used soundbar with good enough surround sound, a sub and rear speakers to be happy with or a $5,000 receiver and speaker setup.

I went with a used Vizio sound bar, wireless sub with rear speakers, cost me like $70 and sound just fine. Unless you are big into home theater and audio in general, going past the good enough level is likely a waste of money unless you just have enough to go out and get the best even if it's not really needed or you have not listed to anything else to compare to see if it's worth it.

Go to a store that sells audio equipment, listen to some stuff, talk to the people there.

Solution