Question Dolby atmos for home theater no longer works on PC.

Larsn2k

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
So I bought a Sony HT-ZF9 3.1 Dolby Atmos a few months ago to use on my PC and for the first weeks everything was fine. I was playing games and watching movies with dolby atmos without any problems. Then all of a sudden for some reason I can no longer setup my soundbar in the "Dolby access" app. Dolby atmos for home theater does no longer show up in the spatial sound tab.
I've noticed that under properties and supported formats it only says DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital. Previously there was listed A LOT more under encoded formats including Dolby Atmos. There was also listed a lot more under sample rates.

HDMI-cables and soundbar have been tested with other devices and are working as intended.

This has to be a driver issue, right? I've tried to reinstall nvidia drivers, sound drivers, the dolby access app and even Win10 but nothing works. Does anyone know how to fix this. I've searched everywhere but can't find any solutions.

Win10 professional
Asus rog strix b450-f gaming
MSI RTX 3070 Suprim
Sony HT-ZF9 3.1 Dolby Atmos

Try this: ( see if it helps)
  1. Win10 Control Panel -> Apps -> Dolby Access
  2. Reset App
  3. Uninstall App
  4. Start -> Power -> Restart (reboot)
  5. Wait for reboot, login
  6. Right click on sound/speaker icon in lower right corner
  7. Mouse to speaker selection section in the middle, it should show "Stereo, 5.1, 7.1" as well as "Dolby Atmos for home theater"
  8. Select "Dolby Atmos for home theater"
  9. This will cause the windows store to pop up on the Dolby Access app item.
  10. Click "Install" to install the Dolby Access app
  11. Windows will download it and install it.
  12. After install, it will say something like "To enable Dolby Atmos a reboot is required"
  13. Reboot the system
  14. Wait for reboot, login
  15. Right click on sound/speaker icon in lower right corner
  16. Mouse to speaker selection section in the middle, it should show "Stereo, 5.1, 7.1" as well as "Dolby Atmos for home theater"
  17. Select "Dolby Atmos for home theater"
  18. At this point, the selection should work, and it should STAY on ""Dolby Atmos for home theater"
  19. Test by running the Dolby Access app
  20. It will take you through some intro screens, click through 'em
  21. When it appears, click on "Dolby Atmos for home theater"
  22. When you click on this, new page will come up.
  23. It will either be the setup page that has you go through and enable spatial sound, or, it will be the Dolby Access app page.
  24. If it goes to the app page showing videos and demos and such, and the graphic at the top right depicting a home theater system is highlighted, Atmos should be working. Test by playing a few videos/demos. Your receiver should be showing an Atmos bitstream when you click on whatever button shows you info
  25. If it goes tot he setup screen, enable spatial audio, and hopefully it will work/stick, and things should work from there.

Larsn2k

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. I never get the option to choose "Dolby Atmos for home theater". After uninstalling the "Dolby access" app the spatial sound tab didn't say "Dolby atmos for home theater" but "Dolby access", and after installing the app again the only options I have in the speaker setup tab is: stereo, 5.1, 7,1, windows sonic for headphones and dolby atmos for headphones.