Domain vs Workgroup

I have a client who needs a 10 PC network, 3 networked printers and a file
server. Internet access and email is provided through a cable ISP
connected through a cable router. The client does not have any technical
staff and wants a simple solution. I was planning on using W2000 as a
workgroup server as opposed to a domain server. However a friend mentioned
that there is a limitation of 10 PCs in a workgroup. Can you shed some
light on the subject?

Tom Deckert wrote:
> I have a client who needs a 10 PC network, 3 networked printers and a
> file server. Internet access and email is provided through a cable
> ISP connected through a cable router. The client does not have any
> technical staff and wants a simple solution. I was planning on using
> W2000 as a workgroup server as opposed to a domain server. However a
> friend mentioned that there is a limitation of 10 PCs in a workgroup.
> Can you shed some light on the subject?

There is indeed a limit to ten concurrent connections on Win2k/XP Pro (XP
Home is 5).
I'd look into SBS2003 - it's really easy to set up, and if it's set up right
(with decent server hardware, scheduled backups, antivirus, firewall, etc)
it will pretty much run itself most of the time.

Just to clarify Lanwench's comments, if you're talking about using Windows
2000 Server in a workgroup config, then the 10 user limit doesn't apply. It
applies to shared resources on the workstation products. In fact, Windows
XP Home is limited to 5 connections.

I'd second Lanwench's suggestion of Small Business Server 2003
(www.microsoft.com/sbs).

Regards

Oli