Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if i'm part of a domain. What is a domain?

strange_girl978@yahoo.com

A domain is a network managed from a server. One of the servers in the
network is the Domain Controller. You find such networks in enterprise
environments, although sophisicated users sometimes have home domains as
well.

You should choose the Workgroup option. If you have more than one computer
you can create a workgroup home network later so remember the workgroup name
you choose here. I believe that workgroup names are case-sensitive but
don't hold me to that. A workgroup can be created or changed with the
Networking Wizard.

<strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if i'm
> part of a domain. What is a domain?
>
> strange_girl978@yahoo.com

Gordon

<strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if i'm
part of a domain. What is a domain?

> strange_girl978@yahoo.com

If you have to ask, then you don't have one.

pops

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:eWk1VafkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk
>> configuration, it ask me if i'm
> part of a domain. What is a domain?
>>
>> strange_girl978@yahoo.com
>
> If you have to ask, then you don't have one.

If you have to respond that way, you DO have a problem;
of acting stupid.

Hi, PopS:

Could you please, then, supply the answer to the OP's question?

Thanks.

Tom
"PopS" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

| "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
| message news:eWk1VafkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| > <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| >> Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk
| >> configuration, it ask me if i'm
| > part of a domain. What is a domain?
| >>
| >> strange_girl978@yahoo.com
| >
| > If you have to ask, then you don't have one.
| >

| If you have to respond that way, you DO have a problem;
| of acting stupid.

Gordon

"PopS" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if
>>> i'm
>> part of a domain. What is a domain?
>>>
>>> strange_girl978@yahoo.com
>>
>> If you have to ask, then you don't have one.
>>

> If you have to respond that way, you DO have a problem; of acting stupid.

Oh deary me!

Well, i'll be nice and make it easy for you to understand.

A domain is a collection of all entities that takes part in a central trust
of security. You can think of a Domain as a perimeter of trust. In which,
every machine in the domain trusts someone called the domain controller.

Imagine Domain Controller can central security office. If you try to access
another computer, the computer will ask Domain Controller if the user is a
valid user and thereby granting accessing to resources. So in short, a
domain is a collection of security entities that controls access to
resources.

Think of it like a office building where you have a security office that
says, yes you can enter the building because you are an employee, or says
"No, you cannot enter because i don't know you."

If you want to know more, do a search on google.

Cheers,
/Dennis