Domino's UK Uses RC Helicopter to Deliver Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Having own several rc helicopters, I'd say that this is impossible unless Dominos uses military drones that uses satellite gps navigation which means each drone would have to cost tens of millions of dollars. Most rc helicopters don't have that type of range and can't carry that much weight without being affected by even the slightest bit of wind. The only way this would work is if you lived about 100 yards away from a Domino's Pizza store.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
That is hilarious, I would have liked to see someone fishing in that canal/pond that the Domicopter was flying over...look up with a puzzled look on their face. That would be a crazy sight to see.

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I love this idea, I'd much rather deal with a drone than the overweight acne scarred teenager in the primer colored 89 Civic that usually delivers my Medium 2-Topping Handmade Pan Pizza.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

Wow dude. You're beyond clueless.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
They're using a German MikroKopter Okto designed primarily for aerial photography. It certainly could be used to deliver a pizza. However, I don't think that's what the manufacturer had in mind. Airtime would largely depend on the number of toppings you order.

G

You sir are an idiot. Look here: https://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/Purchase

There you go, a remote guided UAV copter. Cheapest is only around $500. They used a camera copter in the video which is used to take pictures and video, because it can handle the weight. Then just that the cost of that copter and add $179 for the Remote Guidance System, available separately on the site I mentioned above.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Go ahead and buy it dipsh!t and see how far you can fly it before it goes out of range. You're truly a moron. Also, let's see you fly that with 10 pounds with wind blowing. You believe everything you see on the internet as real?

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Wow, dude go f yourself then jump off a bridge.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006

You should expect people to disagree with you, because you are wrong for multiple reasons:

1) These aircraft can be automated and travel waypoint to waypoint. Even hobby RC aircraft can do this, just look at any serious FPV kit and they usually feature GPS and can at least use it to return to the pilot if the signal is lost. Travelling to a set destination is NOT a wild and unrealistic possibility limited to "military drones". Shit, I built a controller to do this myself. It accepts data from GPS receivers and air pressure sensors and mixes transmitter input with its own to control the multicopter's attitude and flight.

2) Even if it were piloted manually, the range can be enormous, in the tens of kilometres, with equipment costing significantly less than "millions of dollars". There are numerous examples of multi-kilometer FPV flights on YouTube for you to peruse and see what I mean.

3) The carrying-capacity of multicopters can be enormous. They can easily have 1-3 kilowatts of power at their disposal. Enough for a couple of pizzas and a couple of miles.

4) I get the impression you don't own any of these seeing as you're talking about wind having a large effect on the aircraft. This isn't really all that likely, as the control systems, depending on which you choose, can be incredibly effective at counteracting wind. I even have a tiny palm-sized quad that cost peanuts which is capable of flying steadily in winds my more "traditional" helis would struggle with.

Status
Not open for further replies.