DONE Latest 'Star Citizen' Video Shows Procedurally Generated Planets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2015
So after 10 (yes, 10) years, this is what we get? I mean it looks nice, but I want to see more than a bunch of glitchy dogfighting and a procedurally generated planet.

larkspur

Distinguished

A year and a half ago I threw down $45 (USD) toward the game. That got me alpha access, beta access, squadron 42 and star citizen (taking a quick look at the store, it appears that price is the same today). I've since spent many hours playing arena commander and am having some fun with the new Alpha 2.0 (when it's actually working that is!). I've been burned by many AAA games that cost $60 for roughly 20 hours of gameplay before they get boring. Or AAA games that are so buggy upon release that I just say, "meh, I'll try it again after a year of patches". While SC is very much a WIP, backing it has still provided me value. I'm not sure what you mean about SC not having availability or a cheap price. If it ever gets finished Squadron 42 should be worth $45 on its own, not to mention the SC persistent universe. If you are referring to buying big fancy ships with real money then yeah, obviously you can drop thousands... I think that is silly. I sure as heck won't be spending more than my $45 pledge and can still get the big fancy ships the conventional way. Obviously by backing SC you take a risk that the whole thing will either: a) never be completed or b) will just plain suck when its released. But I feel that I've already gotten good value out of my $45 pledge and if the game gets finished and is at least decent, then the $45 I spent will be a real bargain.

Roger_7

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Looks nice, but what bothered me since the beginning still bothers me today: the prices for the nicest looking ships is crazy expensive. I saw packages that cost $15,000. I get the sourcing model Roberts is using, but is this going to be a "pay to have fun" model where those with the deeper pockets get more of the game than the rest of us?

Last I looked at the emails coming to me before unsubscribing, they were selling modules for ships.. MODULES? So if the ship wasn't expensive enough, you can then pay additional cash for storage bays. Hmmm.

I'm worried about this model, and if it's accurate (I hope I am wrong), will successfully keep players like me away from the title. I want a nice ship, but am not willing to spends hundreds or thousands of real cash on a game, even if it does well blurring the lines into sim.

I played the original Wing Commander series. All of them, when they were out. Some of the best titles ever made, btw. I've no lack of respect for Chris Roberts.

Jean_2

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Those who call it spam was calling it vaporware still a few month ago. As a backer, I am currently playing (Alpha 2.1) in a vaporware system, flying a multiplayer vaporware high resolution ships, close to a vaporware Station a la 2001 Space Odyssey, fighting multiple vaporware Pirate ships...

Best experience ever in an Alpha game. Solo game Squadron 42 will be out end 2016 and MMO unisvese end of 2017. All for as low as 35$! Everything done by the man who made the Game Wing Commanders and was producer of Lord of War movie (among others)

Jean_2

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Pure lie. It is sad that some haters jump from forum to forum to spread false rumors.

CIG was created and crowfunded on November 2012, which translate in 3 years... not 10. Go make some math.

Jean_2

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Solo game Squadron 42 will be out end 2016 and MMO unisvese end of 2017. All for as low as 35$! Everything done by the man who made the Game Wing Commanders and was producer of Lord of War movie (among others)

Jean_2

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Do not lesson no sayers or haters. Game cost as low as 35$. You got solo game + MMO for that price at release (2016 and 2017). You do not have to buy anything else.

Jean_2

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

I have a 1050$ PC (I5 with 4 cores and GTX780) and it works great, in its current none optomised Alpha state.

Status
Not open for further replies.