[DONE] Maingear Launches AMD-based Mini Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

exfileme

Splendid
That was a typo sorry. As for the Gigabyte comparison, I changed the link. I swear I didn't see that model when I was digging through Gigabyte's website. Thanks for pointing that out! -KP

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
SSD's up to 1GB, that sucks! Also faster RAM is a must for an APU

Anyone in their right mind should know it was probably a typo. I've seen 4GB SSDs but not 1GB. You're also right that faster RAM is a must for an APU, but the reason for that is because the IGP uses the System RAM. In this case the Mini PC has a dedicated mobile GPU that probably has its own GDDR5 Memory. So you're wrong.

I wish someone would make a motherboards for Mobile CPUs in Mini-ITX form factor. The day my laptop dies I would love to reuse the I7 3632QM in the laptop to make a mini gaming PC.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Anyone in their right mind should know it was probably a typo. I've seen 4GB SSDs but not 1GB. You're also right that faster RAM is a must for an APU, but the reason for that is because the IGP uses the System RAM. In this case the Mini PC has a dedicated mobile GPU that probably has its own GDDR5 Memory. So you're wrong.

I wish someone would make a motherboards for Mobile CPUs in Mini-ITX form factor. The day my laptop dies I would love to reuse the I7 3632QM in the laptop to make a mini gaming PC.
You started off making sense but then you went off the deep end. :D Most if not all modern laptops have the processor soldered to the mainboard. That's why AM1 recieved some attention, even though it's basically yesterday's budget mobile chips repackaged - it's serviceable and (potentially) upgradeable.

With that being said I really hate that they used mobile chips for the exact same reason. I'd rather the case was a bit bigger and they used an FM2+ ITX board. Sure it'll use more power and generate more heat... but a $700 starting point I expect either more performance and upgradeability, or just finish the job and make it a laptop.

alextheblue

Distinguished
That A8 will bottleneck the beast of that R9 M275X

Not really. The R9 M275X is a laptop chip. It's actually slightly slower than a desktop R7 250X. Granted it has an impressively low 50W TDP, and so it has impressive performance/watts, but it's still not really a "beast".

What qualifies as a "GAMING" system anyway?

These specs are NOT a great gaming system and the following is completely misleading:
"The SPARK is an extremely small and powerful gaming box that will make gamers think twice about small form factor performance,"

How about you just show me some benchmarks compared to say a GTX760 rig that show me just how awesome this is.

DragonFireXY

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
What qualifies as a "GAMING" system anyway?

These specs are NOT a great gaming system and the following is completely misleading:
"The SPARK is an extremely small and powerful gaming box that will make gamers think twice about small form factor performance,"

How about you just show me some benchmarks compared to say a GTX760 rig that show me just how awesome this is.
Coincidentally there is a Gigabyte Brix that has a desktop GTX 760 but it extremely slowed down due to getting really high temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.