[done]Microsoft UK Shows Off 383-inch Surface Tablet in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Might pick it up when the slash the price... But, does it have an HDMI out?

Heh, didn't the whole Surface brand start out with massive tabletop computers like, a decade ago?

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Hard not to notice angry birds on a 10 meter screen during a speech, but more power to you.

Replace the slingshot with rolling chairs, replace birds with interns, and then the bosses can stand in for the pigs :D

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I'm guessing you'd prefer Windows 7 on a tablet? Seriously, they have Windows 7 tablets out there, and most of them are on discount to get rid of old stock. You should get one and tell us how *awesome* Windows 7 is using your finger.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@stingstang: Help me out here. 20" x 20" = 400 sq in. This looks a LOT bigger than 20 inches square. At the same time though, it doesn't really look like it's anywhere near 16 feet high... so how big is it really?

Anyone on here live in London? Is this display really 4.5 - 5m high?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009

Look at the picture, it's pretty big

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@back-by-demand: Thanks. I did. There's a guy in a neon-yellow vest in the lower-right corner. If you extrapolate his height (his legs are hidden behind something blue), then it looks like he's about as tall as 1/2 the height of the display. If we assume him to be 6' tall (a conservative assumption in this case), then the display looks to be only 12' tall. A 16:9 display that is 12' tall would measure sqrt(12^2 + (12*16/9)^2) = 24.5' on the diagonal, which is only ~2/3 of the stated 32'.

So as I said, it doesn't really look like it's anywhere near 16' high. I didn't want to get all math-intensive on this - just observing something that looked exaggerated. Perhaps the bezel is being included in the 32'.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I did the consumer trials. But recently got a new travel PC, although it small; it is a conventional laptop with keyboard and pad(& yes win 7).

Friends of mine have bought tablets(Android & IOS). They even used them once on a 3 hour flight out to California. Mainly thou(I think) it's the feeling of belonging and friendship with the lines of ppl they see on TV outside the Apple stores. Lol, not sure why though? They don't know any of those ppl and personally I hate lines. But MS may be on to something with this UK promo.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Wdm, you'll notice I said "tablet." We're talking about tablets, not laptops, and not desktops. You cringed when you saw a tablet with Windows 8.1 on it - I'm asking, would you prefer Windows 7 on a Surface Pro to Windows 8 or 8.1?

Windows 7 is great for laptops and desktops. That's what it was designed for. It is mediocre *at best* on a touch screen tablet format. Tablets aren't for everyone but, if you want a Windows tablet, you'd be *crazy* to want Windows 7 over 8 on it. So, why are you cringing at a Windows 8 variant on a tablet? And again, a new conventional laptop with Windows 7 is dandy - but it's not a tablet, and that's what we're talking about.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Your correct.
I just cringe whenever I see 8, as I automatically think conventional PC.

Appears MS is moving more tablet after the price cuts. And profits are up across the board (except for the Windows division).
http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/24/technology/enterprise/microsoft-earnings/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.