Question Done with my MBP, looking to buy a new production/gaming laptop. Need advice please.

rastas

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hi all,
Looking to buy a new laptop to use on the go for production as well as casual gaming, mostly Apex and RE2 type. I am a visual effects artist and believe it or not, I've been making due with a MacBook Pro 17" early 2011 model, its been serving me well, I've uped the ram, slapped an SSD on it and its been running good. The logic board burned like 4 times during the years but Apple fixed for free. Anyway, its time to move on to better things.
I tried the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme but wasnt fully satisified. I loved the build, weight, keyboard, screen was ok (4K is too much for a 15", my scaling was at 200%). I would buy a 17" X1 in a heartbeat.

Here is what I'm looking for and figured out so far:
  • I need a 17" inch screen. The X1 Extreme 15" just wasnt enough.
  • A 1440 or above display would be best. This will be hard I'm finding most laptops are at FHD at this moment. Honestly my Macbook Pro is pretty good at 1920x1200 on a 17".
  • I dont need Quadro/true workstation graphics. Most software I use Adobe, Foundry and C4D runs fine on consumer level GTX and RTX graphics. Plus I would like to game on this machine.
  • My current macbook is 6.6lbs I believe according to specs. I'm wiling to go up to the weight but not above. Ideally lower would be best, 5lbs like the X1 would be a dream.
  • A slick, productive look would be great, with slim bezel and good keyboard. Loved the Thinkpad X1 extreme look.
  • Upgradeablity would be great, access to ram or a second nvme. Is it possible to upgrade screen panels?
  • Battery is my lowest priority as I'm ok with being plugged in for heavy tasks.
So far my eye is on these laptops. If I can get the community's feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Alienware m17 - RTX2060 version with 1440 120mhz panel and the bigger battery. Not a big fan of the shape and large bezels and logo head. But so far the best fit.
  • Razer Blade Pro 17 - waiting for this to be released. Looks fantastic, fits everything except the screen is only FHD.
  • MSI GS75 or Prestige - waiting for this to be released as well. Again only FHD screen and stupid ram in on the other side of the mobo. Looks like a hassle.
  • ROG zephyrus s gx701- not sure about this keyboard situation.
What do you guys think. I'm open to shifting my priorities if it will serve having a workstation/gaming machine.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rastas

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Thinking about getting i7-8750H, RTX2060, QHD (2560 x 1440) 120Hz TN, 90WHr battery upgrade.

Read a lot of reviews (honestly, most are not favorable). I figured I should ask hand-ons users with personal experience.

rastas

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Thinking about getting i7-8750H, RTX2060, QHD (2560 x 1440) 120Hz TN, 90WHr battery upgrade.

Read a lot of reviews (honestly, most are not favorable). I figured I should ask hand-ons users with personal experience.
referring to the Alienware m17 here