Don't believe the hype, Use VISTA.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

august777

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Some serious fanboys on here. If you already upgraded to Vista great, if you didnt great. If I remember correctly most OS's are buggy upon release and have minimal support for drivers or whatever. Tru they get worked out over time. XP has become the best OS released by MS yet. Will Vista be even better? I can only hope so.

But statements like "Laugh at me if you want, I'll be the one laughing in 6 months when all these compatibility problems will be solved." is pretty useless. What exactly will you be laughing at?

To the clown talking about DX10, sure vista will be great when DX10 is fully implemented with vendor supported optimized drivers. But if thats the main reason you upgraded and you are fanboying vista because of it, you are a bit premature.

Few if any of my apps work in Vista. I dont have a PC to show it to my friends I have it to accomplish things and since I can't do it in Vista im not upgrading. Does it make Vista bad? Of course not, its just not time for me to upgrade yet. For those of you who did, fantastic.

I just find it odd how people try to find happiness in PC forum posts by bragging or flaming people. Its a friggin OS. Go out and get laid for once. Who cares if you have a shiny new aero interface or you still run DOS 6.

darkangelism

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
vista is good when it works...just bad nvidia drivers and lack of certain other drivers being the main issue. performance wise i see no difference.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Here's some more lovers of Vista, (see my OP in this thread):

I've downloaded and installed Vista drivers for this card, but PVR application is not working....says XP support, no Vista mentioning.
Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a workaround?
I can't watch TV!!!
No likey!!
From almost every forum I have looked, everyone but a few are having problems with driver support and tuner cards. I know my NVTV doesn't work either. You can look around the web, and there may be hacked drivers...but in all honesty, I would wait until SP1.
on this thread:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Leadtek-D200H-Vista-ftopict227374.html

W00t!! 400 posts; almost a member.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Laugh at me if you want, I'll be the one laughing in 6 months when all these compatibility problems will be solved.

Why not just hold off on Vista for 6 months, and do the laughing then without being a guinea pig for the next half year?

Because I purchased my new PC 3 weeks ago. I have dual-boot and don't feel shy at all. Believe me when I say that I really prefer Vista over XP and use the later only when absolutely necessary.

It's that simple.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Some serious fanboys on here. If you already upgraded to Vista great, if you didnt great. If I remember correctly most OS's are buggy upon release and have minimal support for drivers or whatever. Tru they get worked out over time. XP has become the best OS released by MS yet. Will Vista be even better? I can only hope so.

But statements like "Laugh at me if you want, I'll be the one laughing in 6 months when all these compatibility problems will be solved." is pretty useless. What exactly will you be laughing at?

To the clown talking about DX10, sure vista will be great when DX10 is fully implemented with vendor supported optimized drivers. But if thats the main reason you upgraded and you are fanboying vista because of it, you are a bit premature.

Few if any of my apps work in Vista. I dont have a PC to show it to my friends I have it to accomplish things and since I can't do it in Vista im not upgrading. Does it make Vista bad? Of course not, its just not time for me to upgrade yet. For those of you who did, fantastic.

I just find it odd how people try to find happiness in PC forum posts by bragging or flaming people. Its a friggin OS. Go out and get laid for once. Who cares if you have a shiny new aero interface or you still run DOS 6.

Sentences like that come exactly from user saying Vista user were, basicly, a bunch of moron. When attack... regular human either coward or retaliate. I usually tend to retaliate. I'm very happy with Vista... most of my applications work perfectly with it, there is finally some basic controls for kids on the PC, etc... Well, you know, I have kids and get laid often. So it's good to have that considering I got my new PC 3 weeks ago and I'm gonna keep it for the foreseeable future.

I remember considering getting WME when I gt my first PC in 2002 after seeing benchmark showing XP slower in most games. Luckily I went for XP anyway for the long term. It's all the same for poeple getting a PC today.

I know I've been rude... and sorry. I guess I'm just fed up with poeple shooting at Vista but for sure didn't put their hands on it. It's that simple.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Need any more be said??

Now, according to a ZDNet blog, the Intel CEO confirmed his firm won't upgrade to Vista until that first service pack is delivered.

Otellini told the Bank of America Technology conference in San Francisco: "I know of no organisation doing an upgrade before SP1."

"Intel isn't upgrading either," he added.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38064

This is like beating a dead horse. In this case, a dead thread.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Vista is a DOG and is SLOW!

in order to make it fast like XP you need to turn off superfetch and windows search which are the 2 most stupidest services microsoft ever invented!!!!

try turning these services off before you even try to flame me.

im sure the difference in performance after turning these 2 services of will put a grin on you're face

runswindows95

Distinguished
I've been around every Windows launch since 98(not SE, THE crappy 98 ). Overall, it takes six months for EVERYTHING to work on the new Windows. Right now, I work in a computer store and we have printers, software, and scanners that don't work on Vista. I've also seen that SLI doesn't work.

Far as I go, I just ordered a laptop with Vista Basic (I don't need the MCE capability or the Aero crap). From what I've seen and heard, Vista will piss me off unless I turn off the UAC crap. I don't need my OS asking me if I'm sure I want to run "msconfig" or "services.msc" or do I trust running CPU-Z. I'm going to run Vista, but I still feel I will be installing XP or Linux on it within a week. I don't need an OS asking me "Are you sure you want to do that, Dave?" when I want to tweak msconfig!

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Vista is a DOG and is SLOW!

in order to make it fast like XP you need to turn off superfetch and windows search which are the 2 most stupidest services microsoft ever invented!!!!

try turning these services off before you even try to flame me.

im sure the difference in performance after turning these 2 services of will put a grin on you're face

I agree with turning off windows search as that makes your hard disk grind away all day (and I know where my files are thanks), but definitely not superfetch as that actually helps you by loading stuff into memory that you probably would have loaded anyway.

My experience of Vista has been very positive and it actually feels faster than XP to me - probably because of superfetch. I have been very impressed with the OS startup time too, especially as i have it on a slow hard disk.

gloppppp

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Eh, whatever.

I'll just wait before upgrading to Vista. I don't really see any necessity for it yet.
I'm still waiting for Divx for Vista. I also have yet to see ANY vista game (Other than the chess and cardgame that comes with it).
Wake me up when something happens. :arrow: Good point.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Last I checked the "Hype" is coming from M$? Don't believe their hype? Then why bother with Vista at all?

Fact remains, Vista is half-baked and not ready. Who want to do free beta-testing from M$? Good for you, you enjoy bending over and getting shafted by M$!!

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
haha shafted by microsift!!!!

since im a network admin and employee of the company i work for i have acces to vista and office 2007.

how did i get shafted. i didnt have to pay for anything!

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
haha shafted by microsift!!!!

since im a network admin and employee of the company i work for i have acces to vista and office 2007.

how did i get shafted. i didnt have to pay for anything!

Shafting, especially the most obvious version, does not necessarily require money.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
This just in from the "Other Components" front:

I have vista since day one and I'm extremly satisfied....one of the rare lucky ones to who everything works. Except TV tuner...
Let's see, what immediately comes to mind? Holy Hell, Fast Food Restaurant, Military Intelligence, oh yeah, and my favorite -- Microsoft Works. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006

I have vista since day one and I'm extremly satisfied....one of the rare lucky ones to who everything works. Except TV tuner...
Let's see, what immediately comes to mind? Holy Hell, Fast Food Restaurant, Military Intelligence, oh yeah, and my favorite -- Microsoft Works. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

twofoot

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007

Let's see, what immediately comes to mind? Holy Hell, Fast Food Restaurant, Military Intelligence, oh yeah, and my favorite -- Microsoft Works. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:Confused? Go look up the word "oxymoron"

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
bottom line: i need my computer to do direct sound stuff.
like movies and all the fun things my soundcard does to fill my living room with sound (my PC is used as a HTPC and a gaming rig)
the vista perks are not woth the headache for me, in 18 months or so i will look into building a new rig that runs vista (once ddr3 is up and running well). and also once creative figures out the new sound bits now that direct sound has been kaiboshed.

DarkPheonix

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Well, I feel very VERY special indeed, after the amount of virtual slapping i've read on Vista I feel honoured to get the only working version. Ahh sarcasm, no i'm sure i'm not the only one who has good things to say about Vista. I think it's great, I use Vista Home Prem myself and apart from the UAC which can be turned off in 'msconfig/tools' it runs perfectly. It's about time Microsoft upgraded, XP is Old and dull in my opinion. I'm sure i'll create a bit of virtual flapping from the XP club but i'm glad it's dying but thats just my view.

What do you think?

ive been running ultimate since Jan 30 and its sweet. so much better than XP. I kept UAC turned on cause i dont think its that annoying. there have been a few incompatibilities, but not that many. vista f***ing rules, anyone who tells you different is a retard who cant install anything right: i put ultimate on a 3 year old Dell lappy with a 1.7 GHz Banias, 2 GB RAM, ATi 9600 Pro 128 MB, and 0 running probs whatsoever, AND Aero runs like glass, pun intended :)

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
there have been a few incompatibilities, but not that many. vista f***ing rules, anyone who tells you different is a retard who cant install anything right
So... the "few incompatibilities" prove you are a "retard"? Very honest I suppose.

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I do have to wonder about the purpose of this thread now. Half the people seem to be voicing serious concerns as to why they havent upgraded to a new and still unproven OS, and the other half is bashing the 'non-belivers' for not upgrading.

I've played about with vista, and I dont exactly find it to be a 'must have' upgrade. Not yet. I've heard horror stories about incompatible hardware drivers, and a few friends have had nothing but trouble when testing it on their machines. I have no desire of yet to move to vista, its offering me nothing XP doesnt do.

As for the people who seem to think its necesary to move to vista right now... why? Its been said before, DX10 isnt a good reason yet, no games, not yet fully implemented. I could be quite happy running a GeForce 8800GTX under DX9, and the performance would rock. Give me a concrete example of when DX10 has improved your gaming experiance...

So yeah. To all of you who've had luck with it, well done indeed. You must all have cutting edge hardware, something that NASA would be proud of. And if thats the case, then I cant see the extortionate cost of vista being a barrier to you. Just accept 90% (approx... dont be a pedant) of the worlds computers wont be running vista just yet.

After all, if Intel is too scared to run it yet, then why should we? :D

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
With a modern config with 1.5-2Gb of ram Vista is not dog slow. Not appreciating the widow search says more about how use the PC rather than the feature. Start managing tens of thousand of documents with multiple revisions and you will see the benefit. It doesn't cause the hard drive to constantly chatter away constantly either. Indexing does take awhile but once it done no issues.

What are all these "bugs"? The O/S is not as buggy as 2000 or XP. Driver support is more about the 3rd parties. This would go much faster if M$ wasn't cashing in on it.

Also we live in a world were basic print driver are 14+Mb and a full feature one is over a 100Mb. Just about everyone writes bloated code. It would be nice with all the cheap overseas programmers that M$ employ they could lead by examples.

Unless you're buying a new PC or in IT then there isn't a real good reason to upgrade.

Speaking of features.

How about the Reliability and performance monitor. This will really help with the supporting of Vista. Those O/S is some what hardware agnostic which should make image management and upgrading easier. I have yet to test these feature but they sound good.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Even if you buy a new PC there is no good reason to have it loaded with Vista. You'll save money on both memory and be able to cross shop components to your hearts content and save money along the way. If you were trying to get a value ($500-ish) laptop for work or business, the money saved can get you the XP pro upgrade from XP home. Resist M$ attempt at screwing everyone over. Them fools don't understand that bloatware with crapola DRM is NOT in the best interests of anyone in the community, or even society at large. We should NOT help M$ put another ugly toll booth on the internet. And to be happy about paying for doing so is just simply "NUTS"!

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I have heard a lot of hype from both sides in this forum. My own feeling on the matter is after 5 years of development, I would of thought vista would of been more ready for primetime. My own opinion, if it was not for all the drm stuff in vista complicating all the software and hardware, we would have had a kick ass os years ago without all the expensive hardware requirements. Not to say I am necessarily against vista or drm, only that drm really complicates every aspect of the pc in both hardware and software and increases the cost. It would of been nice if two versions of vista would of been offered --- one without drm and one with so as to allow a choice amongst consumers.

The present situation is not good as it really takes a new system with 2 gigs of ram to run vista. To be honest with you, I was really looking forward to putting vista on my existing systems prior to reading all the crap about it. Not saying its all true--- but have read enough from sources that I respect to know its not for any of my existing pc's --- for a new pc might be another story --- but even then it makes any new pc costly if you want the same (or you would expect "better") performance as xp. I'm not even going into the directx10 stuff as I think this was born of necessity because of drm and not necessarily in an attempt to find a "better" video driver spec.

One curious article can be found here:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

In vista's defense, I can say its new and this always happens when a new os is released; but with 5 years of development already done and the problems that vista still has --- one has to wonder how long it will be before vista becomes as rock solid as xp.

vexious

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I got vista for free from the PT campaign, i overall enjoyed it, but i couldn't stand the fact some programs i use weren't working. I don't think all hardware is truly compatible and in a year or two i plan to upgrade.