Status
Not open for further replies.

twbg4cq

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Unless everything was liquid cooled it would be too noisy. Four case fans, GPU, CPU and PS fans make a lot of noise.[/citation]

Well, throw out the case fans, since it's open-air. CPU, GPU, and PS fans are typically temperature-controlled, so I'd think the reduced air temp would make for a lower core temps and therefore lower fan speeds. Yes, I agree, you'll hear those 3 fans more, but in their defense, they should be spinning slower than if they're in an enclosed case. (in theory)

I'd think watercooling would be loud too... haven't come across a pump quiet enough for me, especially to have sitting on my desk while running.

Xlick

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]twbg4cq[/nom]A while back I saw a pic of someone that just mounted everything on his wall behind his monitor. I'll see if I can find the pic...edit: this isn't the exact pic, http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_dec [...] mputer.jpg but the same idea. The difference was that everything was spread out a lot more and was mounted on a plank of wood. Looked cooler than this one.edit2: Looked more like this: http://www.chadabarrett.com/images/wall_1.jpg[/citation]

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.diylife.com/media/2007/07/pcguts03-by-visual-velocity-pc.jpg

"Don't Buy a PC Case, Go Open Air!"
I hope you don't have any kids, besides all other things that could happen in an open case (drop water, drinks, dust, something could fall into the fan, etc).
I thinks is a good thing for someone alone or a PC tech.

G

What about the Antec Skeleton Case. i have it or a daily machine and it works well and above normal temperatures have never been a problem. dust however is problem but a can of dust off does the trick.

P.S. Watch it if you have cats

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Unless it was in its own air conditioned room (which I guess would mean it does have a case), this is a rather silly idea. Let's see - spills, pets, noise, ugly, --- ya no thanks, absolutely no reason not to have a case.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
One of the issues I have with our open air testing rigs is the passively cooled pci/pci-x cards. They tend to rely on case fans moving the air around and without them some of those cards start to get a little toasty. It usually results in me stealing the little fans people clip on the walls of their cubicles to get some air movement over the boards.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Are there any links to people who did actually *nice* looking open-face computer case setups? Like with finished wood, and not cardboard, a metal grate, or some sort of ugly painted fiber board?

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Let's see... I have an old house, two dogs and two cats. Within one week, this computer would look like a giant alien hairball with weird lights and whirring noises.
Within one week and one day, it would be as useless as a giant alien hairball. No more noises, no more lights.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]One of the issues I have with our open air testing rigs is the passively cooled pci/pci-x cards. They tend to rely on case fans moving the air around and without them some of those cards start to get a little toasty. It usually results in me stealing the little fans people clip on the walls of their cubicles to get some air movement over the boards.[/citation]
I believe there is something called a ceiling fan.....

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Well, throw out the case fans, since it's open-air. CPU, GPU, and PS fans are typically temperature-controlled, so I'd think the reduced air temp would make for a lower core temps and therefore lower fan speeds. Yes, I agree, you'll hear those 3 fans more, but in their defense, they should be spinning slower than if they're in an enclosed case. (in theory)I'd think watercooling would be loud too... haven't come across a pump quiet enough for me, especially to have sitting on my desk while running.[/citation]
Crysis makes my 4870 hit 97, case closed. Both sides opened, it sits on 85. 87 in JC2 to 80. Ambient - 41.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]Let's see... I have an old house, two dogs and two cats. Within one week, this computer would look like a giant alien hairball with weird lights and whirring noises. Within one week and one day, it would be as useless as a giant alien hairball. No more noises, no more lights.[/citation]
My old P4 workhorse never had it sides closed. Lost the sides while moving :p. Mind, it still worked for a year and a half like that before I replaced it with my current rig......

Status
Not open for further replies.