Don't buy Sandy bridge until you read this

I may be jumping the gun here but it looks like there is going to be a recall on possibly all Sandy Bridge motherboards due to a faulty chip in the SATA controller. There are a few other threads about this but I wanted to put this here as an obvious warning.
For more info see
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/intel-hit-with-chipset-design-flaw-in-sandy-bridge-rollout/44257
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/engadget+(Engadget)
or just google intel recall

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Once word gets out to the retailers... I'll be curious if they pull the LGA1155 motherboards off the shelves... or sell them anyway telling people they'll get a new board in a couple months...

Anyone see empty shelves at stores?

daship

Distinguished
Cry babies that cant afford it are the only ones concerned. I was going to buy one tomorrow, but newegg seems to have pulled them. If I could buy one this week, I will. I can always RMA it later if need be. It definitely wont make me buy older tech. If I can I'll buy now, if not I'll wait til March/April. I am still going to purchase the rest of my build, I can use my current mobo CPU for a couple months if need be.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Just wondering, but is LGA1366 still Intel's flagship/highest end designated socket and LGA 1155/1156 the midrange level sockets or has it changed?...just wondering because prices and cpus are kind of mixy in these sockets and its confusing. So which socket currently is "Considered" as the highend/flagship?

LGA1366 is still considered the highest end (enthusiast) until LGA2011 or 1356 comes out. Whichever Intel says.

LGA1155/1156 is mid range to high end.

The difference is LGA1155/1156 support only dual PCIe 2.0 x8 while LGA1366 supports dual PCIe 2.0 x16 so its still considered high end even though on a clock per clock basis, Sandy bridge will wipe the floor with Nehalem in everything but highly threaded apps which is where the 6 core comes into play. Also SB still uses DMI while LGA1366 uses QPI and tri channel memory resulting in a higher overall bandwidth intercore and memory.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Any idea when LGA2011 or 1356 or whatever its called is due to come out?

And what kind of CPU's are we looking at for the new socket...8 Cores or much more powerful six cores?

honj90

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
One site I know (Germany) has already removed the motherboards, although it still has the CPUs.

I was waiting really a long time for a new build based on these, and I'm quite desperate with my current computer.

Do you think I should go on and buy one if I can find it and then replace it when they offer the return?