News Don't Buy Scammy $100 16TB SSDs on Amazon

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Amazon has been increasingly negligent towards policing their third party marketplace. This has been a problem for years, and it's getting worse. Fake SSDs, fake GPUs, fake game consoles, wrong region discs, hilariously small chairs that look enormous in photos, opened returns sold as new, and more.

I'm finding it hard to justify paying for another year of Prime. Best Buy isn't great, but they seem to be competing on price better, and I don't have to worry about a delivery going to the wrong house like Amazon keeps doing. Everything else is probably cheaper at Home Depot compared to Amazon.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well if you think you can buy a 16TB for 69 bucks(lowest price seen) that's your fault.
All of them are sold buy a 3rd party but shipped by Amazon at least you can get your 70bucks back.

You would think Amazon would catch on to this stuff but they could be so large of a company since you can buy everything from them they can't keep up with the scams.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
And guess what hap[ens if you try reporting that the product has totally irrelevant / wrong reviews?? You hit Submit and nothing happens!!

As if Amazon doesn't want to know about this scam!!

Reactions: bigdragon

KyaraM

Admirable
Hahaha 100 for 16tb HDD...
Thats like at least 50% less than the cheapest 14tb hdd.
Not even HDD, though even that is dumb enough. It's an SSD, which makes this even more dumb tbh. Like, a quick search should show you what such an item would actually cost. Why buy the one entry that falls completely out of line with all else? For that money, you get 1TB of SSD regularly, maybe 2TB if it's cheap. I'm really not sure why people believe they can get 8-16x that much for the same price... and with such generic looks and no brand names to boot.

EDIT: Also, this is a prime example of why you always should have a quick look in the actual reviews.

Last edited:

Matrix1776

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Wait, is it possible that Rolex for $200 is also a sham?! This is pointless research. Amazon should remove such obvious frauds, yes, but the consumer needs just a baseline of common sense. Not a lot, just the bare minimums for life. If every other one is in the thousands, and this is $70, no flags get raised?

Now let me get back to buying Amazon gift cards before the IRS agent arrests me.

Wait, is it possible that Rolex for $200 is also a sham?! This is pointless research. Amazon should remove such obvious frauds, yes, but the consumer needs just a baseline of common sense. Not a lot, just the bare minimums for life. If every other one is in the thousands, and this is $70, no flags get raised?

Now let me get back to buying Amazon gift cards before the IRS agent arrests me.
you cant buy rolex even if you have money lol

Jan 26, 2023
So, I am one of the reviewers that Amazon banned. Why? Because I was letting people know that these 16TB SSDs were a scam. Now, I didn't run around like a crazy mad-man. I wrote about 20 reviews of these because I was actively trying to prevent people from falling victim.
For the last several months, I have been trying to get the ability to write reviews back. If you follow the channels that Amazon suggests, you will never hear back from anyone. Ever. It's a black hole. So you have to spend hour upon hour chatting with CSRs getting bits and pieces of information until someone (probably makes a mistake and) tells you another method of contact.

So far, the best I have received for a response is that my post "violated community guidelines." It doesn't. And they will never tell me which of the guidelines I violated. It's like a cop saying "You're under arrest because you broke the law." "Which law?" "You broke law." Very not helpful.

In fact, I'm going to share one of the reviews that violated community guidelines here, now. I can certainly understand why someone at Amazon wouldn't like my review, because I was clearly pointing the finger at them, but there is absolutely nothing in the community guidelines or conditions of use that says that's a problem.

Here you go.
-------

Hello,

I'm sorry we haven't been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction. However, I won't be able to offer any additional insight or action on this matter.

We removed your posting privileges because your most recent post violated our guidelines and Conditions of Use. You previously violated our guidelines on 2022/10/14.

Review Title:
A great way to lose your data!

Review Text:
This device is not what it claims to be. If you buy it, it simply will not work. Ever. For anyone. Ever. This is a scam, or more to the point, consumer fraud. A real 32TB SSD drive would cost several thousand dollars. So what is the scam? These “drives” usually contain a micro SD card, usually about 64GB, along with a card reader and a modified controller device. That controller will (deliberately) misreport the amount of space available as, in this case, 32TB. You can probably copy a few files and not notice a problem. However, once you get above the physical limit of the chip, it simply can’t store more information. Nevertheless, the controller keeps trying. It may get really slow, or you may get an error message. Regardless, once you remove the device and plug it back in, your data will almost certainly be destroyed. Hold Amazon accountable for its part in this scam. They hold these fraudulent devices in their warehouses, then ship them (quickly) to you. This practice is so rampant that Amazon must be aware of it, and is simply turning a blind eye. I’m guessing that most people don’t even request a refund, so both Amazon and the scammers profit at your loss.

We won't reinstate your posting permissions for this account.

For more information, see our Community Guidelines:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GLHXEX85MENUE4XF

You can also review our Conditions of Use here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GLSBYFE9MGKKQXXM

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
Yaseen
Amazon.com