Don't give PPro BS anymore!

G

when discussing P4, ppl always come up with an example that they consider as very handy: Pentium Pro.

they say, look at PPro. once it was an underdog to the Pentium MMX when reviewed in a 16bit environment. however, shortly after that, it was proved to be the x86 32bit processing king. they believe P4 is on the same route to overcome its competition someday.

i laugh out loud and say, you could say that as you like when Intel was still "the" CPU manufacturer in the PC world. at that time, if Intel said, "Be PMMx for 16bit applications but never 32bit" and "Be PPro for 32bit apps and more profit", it really would work. there was *NO* competition. it was only Intel's *internal affair* as to decide which PU be made more suitable for a certain area. Intel could simply stop enhancing or even hamper PMMx's performance under 32bit environment and only give PPro the life with 32bit apps.

but now, it is no longer the case. how Intel categorizes its own PUs won't prevent AMD from continuing to make more balanced, all-arround PU's .

Intel can continue to say, "Be P4 for Quake3 and multimedia but nothing else." it will still work on Intel's own PUs. however, it won't stop AMD happily making more and more PUs that can both do "Quake3 and multimedia" and anything else very very well.

time has changed, "good" ol days gone by and monopoly over...

we love the game!

-----------------------------
Some are ignorantly happy,
While some, happily ignorant.

G

still no replies...:(

or does everybody agree with me?

G

hoho~~~

sorry, maybe i should have put some background info first.

my purpose is to refute the sort of excuse for Pentium 4's disappointing performance that the Pentium 4 is somewhat like the Pentium Pro, it would need some time and an optimized environment to show its real potential.

no deny that Pentium Pro survived that way, which as i said in my first post was due to Intel's absolute monopoly in the x86 CPU industry. Intel ensured his younger child (Pentium Pro) to win his elder child (Pentium MMX). Intel was almighty to do that.

however, this time is different. the competition is no longer inside the Intel family but between the family and another very seriuos competitor. so the old way can't work now.

read the reviews and forums. pro-Intels always raise the Pentium Pro example as to prove that Intel will ensure Pentium 4 to win over Athlon just as they did Pentium Pro over Pentium MMX. No! Intel may be almighty, but the "almighty" only happens within his own family.

you may say, would Intel be that stupid to make a mistake on the Pentium 4 to put his future in risk? i'd say, why would he not? just spare a few minutes and visit the following site: www.FACEIntel.com

as it always says, "Failure starts from inside."

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure you meant "Failure starts from 'INTEL inside'" : )

Sorry, had to do it. Long live competition!!

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

G

:)))...you are killing me...surly you can say that agian.

i should say you've got me right 100%.

G

Oh gees another AMD fan..... you people get religious about this stuff. It's just a friggin piece of silicon. AMD, Intel, nVidia, 3dfx, .... it's all good. Each has it's strengths, it's weaknesses.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm, someone has some insecurity problems. Don't worry I wasn't really attacking your precious life line company with any real arguments or anything, I was just making a joke that was to easy to pass up. Try not to take it so personally and just giggle with everyone else.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"

G

why are you so serious about this?...a non-fan like me can never understand that..:)

i am not an AMD fan at all. i am not a fan of any single type of commodities. i am not a fan of any single manufacturer. die-hard Intel fans always lable those who are talking about Intel weaknesses as AMD fans. i really can't see the reason.

there is no reason for the Intel fans being so die hard. they are very similar to the Mac fans.

surely you have the freedom of "religion". religion is incompatible with debate. that's why Intel fans just can't help giving that PPro BS to support P4. they still believe that their almighty Intel can do anything, and they've been ready to sacrifice their hard-earned cash and time for the "sacret" cause of boosting any product Intel released.

G

Let me clarify a few things. First, as I've already stated, I am NOT a fan of any particular company. I'm the proud owner of a Duron and a Celeron, and like them both just great. I AM a fan, however, of whatever chip gets me the most bang for my hard-earned jack.

"die-hard Intel fans always lable those who are talking about Intel weaknesses as AMD fans. i really can't see the reason."

The reason is because, more times than not, AMD fans ARE the ones bashing Intel. Not ALL the time though, perhaps not in your case. I had just never heard that particular argument about people 'excusing' P4's performance by comparing it to PPro, so I just wrote it off as just another
AMD fan having too much time on his/her hands. I apologize if I got you wrong. But that brings me to my next point....

The whole reason I posted my original message was because I've grown tired of having to sort through all the biased crap that people write these days while I'm in search of legitemate information. Not just in this forum, but also other forums and websites. Yeah I know, freedom of speech, freedom of opinions, yadayadayada. But you know what they say about opinions.

"there is no reason for the Intel fans being so die hard. they are very similar to the Mac fans."

Ya know, I haven't seen near as many die hard Intel fans as I have AMD fans. Maybe I just scour the wrong message boards...? But anyway... I don't think you can compare anyone to Mac fans. I work with people that still try to preach the Apple IIe gospel to me. And in public you can always identify the Mac fans because they are wearing Mac memorabilia. Do you ever see people wearing AMD or Intel stuffz? I don't, but I'm sure they're out there... but anyway my point was only that from what I've seen, Mac enthusiasts are the most devout computer users I've ever seen.

Maybe I just opened up a new can of worms....

Regards,

-Gromas

G

hehe, Gromas,

you are still so serious....;)

yes, i do understand you. actually, i am a happy owner of two Celeron machines. they are not bad. however, it doesn't mean i don't want better machines. if i built a new PC now, i would denfinitely choose the Durons.

my using of low-end machines doesn't stop me from getting interested in the leading-edge stuff. i am esp. into the P4 issue for this is the first time Intel faces *REAL* competition and takes a serious reaction since its ruling in the PC industry.

my observation is that generally speaking, Athlon supporters (not fans, for fans don't care that much about money...:) are more into the technical side of the issue, while Intel supporters only trace back in the history for what "crisises" Intel has overcome and hence believe that this time Intel will win, too.

i saw such-like Intel supporters whereever i surf the Internet. and my post is "dedicated" to this group of people.

just like you, i also prefer technical and constuctive topics much more than flame begging ones. now i know you are not an Intel fan, neither an AMD fan. that is just great!