[SOLVED] Dont have 8pin

stefansteva

Honorable
Dec 29, 2017
Hello so yeah im using kinda old Psu, and problem is i have only 1 6+2pin cable to power up my gpu, but on my mobo i have one more 8pin i guess that's for cpu? i just reused this psu from old system that had 4pin on mobo. So my question is it bad if i put 4pin to 8pin adapter and use that, what could go wrong ?

Solution
Hello so yeah im using kinda old Psu, and problem is i have only 1 6+2pin cable to power up my gpu, but on my mobo i have one more 8pin i guess that's for cpu? i just reused this psu from old system that had 4pin on mobo. So my question is it bad if i put 4pin to 8pin adapter and use that, what could go wrong ?
"what could go wrong ?"

Well, you could kill whatever components are connected to this old and substandard PSU.

USAFRet

Titan
"what could go wrong ?"

Well, you could kill whatever components are connected to this old and substandard PSU.

Solution

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I don't know about that. That link was to a 600W power supply? Definitely try the adapter before going out to buy a new power supply. If it isn't enough power, it will just crash under load. You probably wont fry the card.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't know about that. That link was to a 600W power supply? Definitely try the adapter before going out to buy a new power supply. If it isn't enough power, it will just crash under load. You probably wont fry the card.
"You probably wont fry the card."

That's an awful strong statement when you're using other people parts.

Just having "600w" printed on the case is meaningless. A substandard PSU, when pushed beyond its limits, can easily kill multiple parts.
Not having the needed connectors is the definition of "substandard".

stefansteva

Honorable
Dec 29, 2017

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Not having the needed connectors is the definition of "substandard".
That is not true. They bundle that adapter cable with a many GPUs in retail. It was common to use them while PS manufacturers caught up with the switch to two power connectors for PCIe. Those GPUs are engineered to crash if the power dips, he is unlikely to fry the card..
EDIT - your computer doesn't fry if the power in your house goes out.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
That is not true. They bundle that adapter cable with a many GPUs in retail. It was common to use them while PS manufacturers caught up with the switch to two power connectors for PCIe. Those GPUs are engineered to crash if the power dips, he is unlikely to fry the card..
"unlikely"

Again, risking other peoples parts.

The "it was common" days are long past.

Some people here actually HAVE had parts die, due to a poor power supply.

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
The "it was common" days are long past.

Some people here actually HAVE had parts die, due to a poor power supply.

The "it was common days" applies to THAT power supply. He has a power supply rated at 600W. It is sufficient for his needs. There is no reason not to try it before wasting money on something that he does not need. It is not like I am recommending he try it with a 400W power supply. I would say not only is unlikely, it highly unlikely. Unless he is running a GTX 2070 or more, the 600W should be fine.

EDIT - You don't know that power supply supply is substandard. Judging it by its lack of connectors is not scientific or logical.

bignastyid

Titan
The "it was common days" applies to THAT power supply. He has a power supply rated at 600W. It is sufficient for his needs. There is no reason not to try it before wasting money on something that he does not need. It is not like I am recommending he try it with a 400W power supply. I would say not only is unlikely, it highly unlikely. Unless he is running a GTX 2070 or more, the 600W should be fine.

You are making a very dangerous assumption that a PSU labeled as 600w can actually deliver 600w where it counts. There are many so called 600w units that can't deliver half their advertised rating on the 12v rail( most important rail for a modern system).

Also when a PSU kills components it's not from a sudden loss of power it's usually because of a surge of power or out of spec voltages and/or ripple that can slowly damage components.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its part of our moderation policy to confront dangerous and poor advice very specifically. This advice here you have been giving is both bad and dangerous. There is a multitude of resources available here on this site to confirm as such. Please refrain from responding to this thread any longer and as well giving this type of dangerous advice in the future. Further transgressions will result in official warnings/sanctions.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
we don't actually know what psu he has, making ANY assumption is not a good idea. the only assumption it is safe to make is that "if it does not have the proper connections, then you need one that does has the proper connections"

we are not just trying to get him to buy a new psu for no reason. we've all been doing this a long time and have seen what can happen. feel free to take all the risks you wish in your own house, with your own system and your own money. but when suggesting others make dangerous choices, you are quickly going to be corrected.

what i would do is to educate yourself a bit more about how a psu works, think a bit about what an adapter actually does (simply changes the way a connection looks but DOES NOT MAGICALLY CREATE MORE POWER) and then ask some questions if you still don't understand what is happening.

we are more than happy to help educate if you're willing to learn :)

stefansteva

Honorable
Dec 29, 2017
Hey so yeah, in old pc i used old i5 3570 that used like 80w old mother board too, and ofc imma reuse my gpu rx 570 it says (150w) , when i checked everything on psu calulators online its same wattage or voltage how ever u say it, those old components even draws little bit more than new components.but as i said it only has 1x4pin and 1x8pin that im using for gpu that's why i asked is it safe to try with a 4to8pin The only thing i know about psu is Chieftec iArena 500w as i said its old and not good