Don't have permission to delete my own files?!?! Are you serious?

Snouzer

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hi, so I use Avast (free version) as my antivirus and I've just noticed a new icon on my desktop called Avast SafeZone Browser. I've checked, and it's legit from Avast, but I don't want it!

So I went to programs/features to uninstall it, and it isn't there. So I went to 'C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\' and found the stupid browser in a folder, that I didn't ask for, nor install at any point today. It's just randomly appeared. Anyway, that is not the point of this post...

When I right clicked on the folder located at 'C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SZBrowser' I just get this:

b703397b908152936748c6e15bf56566.png

This isn't the first time I've encountered permission problems, but I've only just decided to ask about it, as I'm pretty pissed-off right now, and in need of a good ol' rant.

Why is this happening? I'm the only user on this PC. There are no other accounts, just mine. And yes, I've checked that I am the administrator, even though I'm pretty sure that if there is only one user, they are automatically made the Administrator.

Why the hell do I not have the right to do whatever I want with MY data on MY personal computer? Is it possible to remove whatever stupid rules Microsoft have put onto my Hard drives, to allow me complete unrestricted access to everything? Because I encountered permission problems a few months ago when trying to move some of my Steam games between my HDD and my SSD.

Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.

Solution
Is Avast on your list of installed programs? If it is just select it and use the button marked Modify to remove that part of the software. If not, it may just keep coming back.

2wfmyxw.jpg

Yes I just tested this to see what it was about.

Strange thing is that is normally a Payed version feature, but my Avast FREE came with it too.
try this to take ownership of it

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

though since its part of the anti virus it may resist being deleted

though cant see any reason you wouldnt just delete the desk top icon and forget about it

Starting with Windows Vista they imposed some restrictions for security sake.

LOTS of unwanted software and viruses got into computer because admins ALWAYS had elevated permissions. This feature got lots of hate, but truth be told other operating systems work in much the same way.

You are an administrator, but your account is not always elevated(allowed to use all that power).

You CAN disable UAC and have pretty much almost uncontested control(This includes running all software in an elevated state), but it is a huge security hole.

You can take ownership or add your user to the folders you want to modify or open another program elevated and perform your actions from that program. For instance you can just open notepad(or any program with an open window) as administrator(right click and run as administrator or control + shift + enter on its icon) and use its open dialog to do anything in program files.

You will run into other things on the system you can not mess with such as some registry entries and system folders(all can be bypassed when needed. Taking ownership is the common way to do this).

I would NEVER delete software that is running because it can cause issues on future startups. See if Avasts own remove option allows this to be removed instead.

Correct the folder you are trying to delete is in use by windows.
A process or a task is running in windows linked to the folder.

You will have to alt control and delete, click on task manager of windows and terminate the running process or task.
Then you can delete or uninstall it.

Or the other way is to run windows in safe mode by selection of the F8 key while your system is booting.
Since no second or third party software is run as a task in windows safe mode just the core windows system tasks and processes ok.

Then uninstall the program from add remove.

Snouzer

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

Ok thanks. I will terminate the task when I get home.

Regarding uninstalling it: It's not on my list of 'installed programs' so I'm not sure how I can uninstall it?
If it's not on "Uninstall a program" list, I figure the next best thing I can do is just delete the folder that contains all of the SZBrowser's files.

Is Avast on your list of installed programs? If it is just select it and use the button marked Modify to remove that part of the software. If not, it may just keep coming back.

2wfmyxw.jpg

Yes I just tested this to see what it was about.

Strange thing is that is normally a Payed version feature, but my Avast FREE came with it too.

Solution

Snouzer

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

Ah, thank you Nukemaster!!!