[SOLVED] Don't know how to get 144hz on my monitor.

Jan 8, 2022
Hello guys. I have rx 470 and i only have dvi port, and on my monitor I can only plug in HDMI and DP. How will I get 144hz? Maybe adapter dvi to hdmi? I got a hdmi cable with the monitor so I think its 2.0 one. Does anyone know what to do? (My monitor is samsung odyssey crg5)

Solution
First, check to see if your DVI port is dual-link DVI. If it is only single-link, you won't be able to run 144Hz. Depending on your RX 470 card this may be different between manufacturers. Here's a diagram that shows DVI pinouts:
main-qimg-46511abf5d172e03ff77383be2ddc3f8

Yours must be either DVI-D Dual Link or DVI-I Dual Link to support 144Hz.

If it is indeed dual-link DVI, in order to get the full bandwidth and run at 144Hz, you'll have to buy an active adapter like this one from Amazon. They are a little bit pricey though, so you may want to wait till it's on sale if you don't need it tomorrow.

Note that all adapters of this type are DisplayPort; HDMI to dual-link DVI adapters simply don't...
DisplayPort is a much better option than HDMI in most cases.
but if you card doesn't offer either DP or HDMI then you may just be out of luck.
you can try an adapter but many have issues with them. make sure you read any reviews and that there are multiple users stating that it works in the scenario that you will be using it; at your resolution and at your refresh rate.

you may need to enable 144Hz in your monitor's OSD menu.
and you may need to also enable it through Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings.

and make sure your card's specs state that it can actually achieve 144Hz at whatever reolsution you are using.

Jan 8, 2022
First, check to see if your DVI port is dual-link DVI. If it is only single-link, you won't be able to run 144Hz. Depending on your RX 470 card this may be different between manufacturers. Here's a diagram that shows DVI pinouts:
main-qimg-46511abf5d172e03ff77383be2ddc3f8

Yours must be either DVI-D Dual Link or DVI-I Dual Link to support 144Hz.

If it is indeed dual-link DVI, in order to get the full bandwidth and run at 144Hz, you'll have to buy an active adapter like this one from Amazon. They are a little bit pricey though, so you may want to wait till it's on sale if you don't need it tomorrow.

Note that all adapters of this type are DisplayPort; HDMI to dual-link DVI adapters simply don't exist.

Hope this helps.

Solution
Jan 8, 2022
Hey mine is dual link. But what are those adapters hahahah. I didnt think I will need that expensive one.
"Note that all adapters of this type are DisplayPort; HDMI to dual-link DVI adapters simply don't exist" also I dont really understand this, can you explain?

Jan 8, 2022
Hey mine is dual link. But what are those adapters hahahah. I didnt think I will need that expensive one.
"Note that all adapters of this type are DisplayPort; HDMI to dual-link DVI adapters simply don't exist" also I dont really understand this, can you explain?
I don't understand this either. I have a PC with dual-link DVI output and a 75Hz monitor with only HDMI and VGA, which I can't fully utilize because of this. It's very irritating and means I'd have to use not one, but TWO adapters in my case, to DisplayPort and then from there to HDMI.

Again, they are quite pricey, so wait for a sale if you can run 60Hz for a bit.