Question Dont know if i chose a good motherboard Please help

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
I will be building my first pc for gaming and having no experience of building pcs before, I did some research but now it seems that I messed up something. Below are the components i chose for pc.

Motherboard- ASUS Prime H310M-R R2.0
RAM RAM DDR4 KINGSTON HyperX Fury 8GB 2666mhz
PSU- Thermaltake Smart BX1 550W power supply 80 plus bronze
a good cabinet - dont know the brand
SSD- GoodRam CX400 SSDPR-CX400-256GB solid state drive
CPU- INTEL Core i5-9400F BOX 2.90GHz LGA1151 processor

Graphics card didnt buy yet but thinking for 1060 3gb or something better in similar price (you can suggest)

Everything is bought and delivered to me just the GPU i will buy in one two days so please suggest if 1060 3gb is fine for this build or anything else in same price range.

But the main concern is motherboard here. So here it goes. In the intel website i checked it says that h310 chipsets have pcie 2.0 and bus speed is 5 GT/s DMI2, where all other chipsets supporting this processor have PCIE 3.0 and bus speed of 8 GT/s DMI3.
But here is the trick, When i was buying this asus chipset i noticed in sellers website that it has PCIE 3.0 so i bought it, I thought may be its Asus prime some model where asus is giving PCIE 3.0 revision. I went to asus website but there i cannot find this products specifications, they show only support for this model but not specifications. When i got the box it was not asus box but some white plain box with asus sticker and ean etc written in which mobo was packed . I didnt find unboxing of this product on youtube either to be sure if i am supposed to get asus box or the same white box. Everything would be fine if i just get to know about this 3.0 or 2.0 PCI express revision. Actually i dont know what difference it makes and if it is really important but if it will change anything in performance of my pc then i am ready to pay abit more to order a better mobo. I do not want to over clock for now but i do not want my mobo to be a bottle neck for my GPU or CPU. I heard on youtube some people were saying it will be a bottle neck better to buy b360. But seeing the specifications on seller page i thought it have PCIE 3.0 so i bought it now i just want to reconfirm. If its not a good one for me then I can return within 14 days and buy another one. I just want to buy a good mid range mobo suitable for this processor and gpu to use full power of my gpu and cpu. I can live with less ram slots but i do not want to compromise on any type of performance. Please help

Sorry for writing a big story.

Buy the 1060 6gb or 8gb 570/580. 3gb is a limit.

The GPU will work fine with that board. The gpu will run with pcie 3.0 directly connected to the CPU, bypassing the chipsets 2.0 restriction.

The motherboard may need a bios update before supporting the 9400f aswell. With the wrong bios you will need and 8th gen cpu to update the bios.

H310 chipset is as low end as it can be. Very limited connectivity options, max 2 ram slots, lower count of sata and usb ports.
I'd suggest going with B365 chipset board instead.
Asus PRIME B365M-A, ASRock B365M Pro4 - for example.

chipsets.png

Your motherboard supports a i5-9400F if it is at bios level 418 0r 616.
It is not clear to me why there are two different levels.
If the motherboard is new stock, it will have the most recent bios level already installed.
I think you are in trouble, I suspect this is not a new motherboard.
I5-9400F is a very nice gaming processor, stick with that.
Budget about 2x the cost of the processor for your graphics card.
I might suggest a GTX1660ti.
Do not worry about pcie 2/3. They are both forward and backwards compatible and there is marginal difference in performance that only shows up with the very strongest graphics cards.

550w is fine for the psu, but I would also return the psu. It is a tier 6 unit on this list:
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.
Buy a quality unit like a Seasonic focus 550w unit:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189

Lastly, if you only will be gaming and not multitasking, 8gb is ok.
Buy a 2 x 4gb kit so you can run in faster dual channel mode.
Do not plan on adding a second 8gb stick later, ram must be in matched kits.
Better to buy your 2 x 8gb kit up front. Speed is not that important.

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
If the motherboard is new stock, it will have the most recent bios level already installed.
Do not worry about pcie 2/3. They are both forward and backwards compatible and there is marginal difference in performance that only shows up with the very strongest graphics cards.

550w is fine for the psu, but I would also return the psu. It is a tier 6 unit on this list:
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189

Bro Thanks for the reply. you really took your time to inform me about everything.
I understand your point. The thing is that I bought everything on emis. And if i return few of them there will be a mess for the emi, either i will need to return the money to the bank and adjust emis as pay advance prepayment or I can simply use the refunded money and add more bucks to buy a better part. I do not prefer to get into this all because my plan was to buy everything on emi and pay slowly, adding a costly psu will add to my pocket that is hard. If i use this psu, since it is 80 plus bronze, it wont be a good fit?? If really there is a potential harm then i can return THE psu. i I live in Poland so all these parts are much more expensive here. I just want to ask you again to be sure. I can upgrade but it will be a hard to manage thing. I read in many places that 80 plus bronze is fine and thermaltake is good brand. The one you suggested is a 80 plus gold. The one that i bought is for some 140 polish zloty and the one you recommend is abot 400 which changes a lot for me. So is it really necessary to buy a 80 plus gold or i can buy 80 plus bronze. I can buy a better 80 plus bronze if you recommend any. If it is really required to change. My budget is 50 dollars max. This one i bought is for 55 dollars.

Now about chipset i wanted to confirm again because this was the main issue for me. There is also something called bus speed which for my motherboard is 5 GT/s DMI2 and for every other is 8 GT/s DMI3 this also wont change anything ? just asking. I can buy only either amd rx 570 or 1060 3gb at this moment as my budget is not going further. That too if i get a good deal or i am considering a used one atleast 24 months warranty. So having this gpu if my mobo wont bottle neck my cpu and gpu then i am okay. I can just get the bios updates by some friend or someone, if in case i will need to return the mobo then please suggest best possible b360 i am looking at
MSI B360M BAZOOKA let me know if i should change my mobo even or its not required. I want to play all AAA games with atleast 70 avg framerates. I know its achievable with the graphic cards i am looking at but not sure about mobo, some says it will bottle neck the processor and gpu and others says its fine. Bios is not that big problem for me. Still please let me know if msi mobo i suggested is good or any other good b360 mobo. I dont think i will upgrade to 32 gb ram anytime soon so 4 ram slots are not required for me but i dont want any performance lag in any other case.

Thanks for your time bro :)

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Buy the 1060 6gb or 8gb 570/580. 3gb is a limit.

The GPU will work fine with that board. The gpu will run with pcie 3.0 directly connected to the CPU, bypassing the chipsets 2.0 restriction.

The motherboard may need a bios update before supporting the 9400f aswell. With the wrong bios you will need and 8th gen cpu to update the bios.
Hey man.
Hi guys need urgent help.

My specs of new build. I am a first time builder

I assembled the pc, have bought gtx 1060 6gb. My pc is not working. not booting at all. I switch on the button it gives a hit kind of fan moves, doesnt spin but moves like minor very very minor and nothing else i press the power button again and it doesnt even move anymore. No beeps nothing happening, same with gpu fan it moves slightly thats it. Checked everything Checked with seller he said my cpu is having rev SFR06 that should work with this mobo without any update as its out of the box working he tested in his i5 9400f that is sfr06. I have same revision cpu. Seems probablem is not bios in this case. Even if the bios is the issue you think fan wont even react after slight reaction on 1st attempt? I checked cpu, gpu, plugging everything ok. ram is placed tightly. Its been two days now, dont have any idea what to do. Seller says i can send back mobo but i dont want to. May be something wrong i am doing. I checked even the hdd +- and power plugs on mobo. DOnt know whats wrong. Everything is fine as i checked many many times. can you help and tell me why the hell this cpu gpu fan just move dont even spin just move a little and then stop. they dont move the second time i click power button until i unplug and plug the power cord again. Please help. I even tried to boot putting usb drive doesnt work.

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Hi guys need urgent help.

My specs of new build. I am a first time builder

I assembled the pc, have bought gtx 1060 6gb. My pc is not working. not booting at all. I switch on the button it gives a hit kind of fan moves, doesnt spin but moves like minor very very minor and nothing else i press the power button again and it doesnt even move anymore. No beeps nothing happening, same with gpu fan it moves slightly thats it. Checked everything Checked with seller he said my cpu is having rev SFR06 that should work with this mobo without any update as its out of the box working he tested in his i5 9400f that is sfr06. I have same revision cpu. Seems probablem is not bios in this case. Even if the bios is the issue you think fan wont even react after slight reaction on 1st attempt? I checked cpu, gpu, plugging everything ok. ram is placed tightly. Its been two days now, dont have any idea what to do. Seller says i can send back mobo but i dont want to. May be something wrong i am doing. I checked even the hdd +- and power plugs on mobo. DOnt know whats wrong. Everything is fine as i checked many many times. can you help and tell me why the hell this cpu gpu fan just move dont even spin just move a little and then stop. they dont move the second time i click power button until i unplug and plug the power cord again. Please help. I even tried to boot putting usb drive doesnt work.

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Try to reseat the ram.
Also, reseat CPu and check for bent pins.

Check your psu fan spins. That isn't a good unit at all.
Could have gotten a much better Corsair CXM for the same money.
Reset you mean reinsert? I tried to reinsert the ram to both the slots, I have one ram stick of 8gb as i am planning to buy another 8gb so thought to buy only one stick. So if reset means reinserting then i did both, I reinstalled ram and cpu both, checked properly I am sure about ram and cpu that they are put properly.

What you mean bents in pins? Which pins of cpu or mobo.? How to rectify?

Psu fan doesnt spin at all. Only cpu and Graphics card fans move they dont spin please note. They just move a bit as if you just touched a wire for a second and untouched it . it doesnt even complete on round spin just not even half they just move very very minor as i said. Psu fan doesnt spin at all. I did losen the psu as someone told me to not tighten it to the case fully but that didnt work . Wondering what you mean about bending pins.

Thanks for your reply bro.

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Your CPU doesnt have pins. Are there any pins on the motherboard? You can only see the pins with CPU removed
Okay, I will remove the cpu and check again, btw psu fan doesnt spin at all only cpu fan and gpu fan. If bios is issue do you think it will prevent the system to be a total failure like this that after first movement it doesnt move at all until you unplug and plug again/

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
PSU issue
I have another working pc. But the psu is only 400 watts no 80 plus ratings, can i check that psu on this just to know if it boots, but i cant exclude gpu since its 9400f (without integratd graphic) So i will need to include gpu gigabyte dual oc 1060 6gb. Should i test if it boots on this psu just concerned if it wont harm my new build. If i wont play any games i think it should fulfill the need of the pc just for booting anyway. What you think?

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
400w is enough. It will be fine just to test if it will boot.
Okay thanks man I will check tomorrow and let you know. Thanks a ton. Btw if psu is failure i would like to change to other, can you tell me which one i should buy. My budget is not more than 80 dollars. I would prefer 650 watt this time, but if there is a better deal just let me know.

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019

Hey man just wanted to know What if i buy a same 8gb stick later? that would also be a problem/?

You have to be very careful when inserting the cpu into the cpu socket.
You should drop it in straight.
If you smoosh it around to get seated, you are liable to bend some of the socket pins.
They are very delicate.
If you find no other reason, take the cpu out and look closely at the pins in the socket.
If you see one that is bent or out of place, you might as well try to straighten it out.
Use a needle, or go to a jeweler who can do delicate work.
Bent pins are not a valid reason to return a motherboard, they are assumed to have been bent by the consumer.

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZR...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020176-na
They have some good deals running on 750w Corsair Vengence PSUs.

This is a bit better quality 650w. Cost a bit more tho.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wr...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx
Hey man very nice suggestion. I changed the psu and it works. Thanks bro. :)

One problem though . Cpu fan works seems everything is fine but gpu fan works for few seconds and then stops dont know what can be wrong. This is why i cannot see any screen. Can you help in this case. Previously I put this gpu in my old pc also from which i took the psu, in that one also gpu was stopping after the spinning of fan few seconds. The interesting part was that I was not able to see any screen on that pc as well but that pc has integrated gpu still if i was putting this 1060 gpu the screen was stopping getting displayed. could you please help. Hope the gpu is fine. I bought it second hand , it was in working condition and looks good from its body too. Do i have to set anything before using it/?

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
You have to be very careful when inserting the cpu into the cpu socket.
You should drop it in straight.
If you smoosh it around to get seated, you are liable to bend some of the socket pins.
They are very delicate.
If you find no other reason, take the cpu out and look closely at the pins in the socket.
If you see one that is bent or out of place, you might as well try to straighten it out.
Use a needle, or go to a jeweler who can do delicate work.
Bent pins are not a valid reason to return a motherboard, they are assumed to have been bent by the consumer.
It works bro. Now just want to know how to see the display gpu fan works for few seconds and stops cpu fan is working all the time. Can't see any display what to do?

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Try booting on one ram stick. Clear CMOs?
hey man my pc worked that day. I realised my psu is also fine as I was plugging a wrong wire on the mother board (external fan wire on external fan slot but dont know why it was preventing system from booting) Finally I played some games. But that time i complained about my psu and i got the reply that they are ready to return the money. Should i still consider buying a new better one or this one would be fine. I will be playing games AAA games and will be streaming as well. Both from the same gpu. If it is really necessary then i will replace the psu other wise let me know if i can use this one only.

Angeesivan

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
If i will return then i am thinking to buy
Corsair TX650M 650W 80 + Gold
difference in amount is not too much but offcourse i want to not spend useless way. You think 550w is fine or i should go for this 650 w? I dont know in pc part picker it shows 320watt total wattage if i upgarde ram put after market cooler upgrade two more hard disks. So i should go for 650 or 550?