Don't know if I should worry...

....but I am confused. Just as a heads up to anyone who
subscribes to Simshost--this morning in my email, I
had two emails from their subscriber support giving
me my password, as if I had requested it from them.
Not only did I *not* request my password, I haven't
even been to the Simshost site in over a week. I
don't know if this was some sort of glitch, or if
it was a clumsy attempt by some rube to steal my
password, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else
experienced this.

Laura

Rainbow

Laura Castellano wrote:
> ...but I am confused. Just as a heads up to anyone who
> subscribes to Simshost--this morning in my email, I
> had two emails from their subscriber support giving
> me my password, as if I had requested it from them.
> Not only did I *not* request my password, I haven't
> even been to the Simshost site in over a week. I
> don't know if this was some sort of glitch, or if
> it was a clumsy attempt by some rube to steal my
> password, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else
> experienced this.
>
> Laura

Just a couple of hints - you should email the site yourself, do NOT use
reply, as the address may not be correct, and ask if the email was
genuine. Plus, change your password as soon as possible.

Rainbow

I did email them. I will change my password right now--
thanks.

Laura

> Just a couple of hints - you should email the site yourself, do NOT use
> reply, as the address may not be correct, and ask if the email was
> genuine. Plus, change your password as soon as possible.
>

> Rainbow

I had the same thing happen. I just changed my password as well, but
where can I find the right address to email them about it?

Thanks
Dianna
------------
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:21:00 GMT, Laura Castellano
<laurita_castellano@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...but I am confused. Just as a heads up to anyone who
> subscribes to Simshost--this morning in my email, I
> had two emails from their subscriber support giving
> me my password, as if I had requested it from them.
> Not only did I *not* request my password, I haven't
> even been to the Simshost site in over a week. I
> don't know if this was some sort of glitch, or if
> it was a clumsy attempt by some rube to steal my
> password, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else
> experienced this.
>
> Laura

Scratch that request, I found the email address and have already recieved
this reply;

Hi Dianna,
It appears that someone using the netvision.net.il service was
intentionally
working mischief, either hoping to hack into SimsHost accounts or perhaps
just
being an annoyance. Since your account information is sent only to your
address, your login information would not be compromised by this.

All the best,
Nancy
Subscriber Support
SimsHost Division
The Lunar Resources Company

Thought I would share. :)
--------------------------------
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:48:40 GMT, k-n-d <k-n-d@nospam.com> wrote:

> I had the same thing happen. I just changed my password as well, but
> where can I find the right address to email them about it?
>
> Thanks
> Dianna
> ------------
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:21:00 GMT, Laura Castellano
> <laurita_castellano@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ...but I am confused. Just as a heads up to anyone who
>> subscribes to Simshost--this morning in my email, I
>> had two emails from their subscriber support giving
>> me my password, as if I had requested it from them.
>> Not only did I *not* request my password, I haven't
>> even been to the Simshost site in over a week. I
>> don't know if this was some sort of glitch, or if
>> it was a clumsy attempt by some rube to steal my
>> password, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else
>> experienced this.
>>
>> Laura

Happened to me too this morning. I wrote them and got the same answer you
did.

"k-n-d" <k-n-d@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Scratch that request, I found the email address and have already recieved
> this reply;
>
> Hi Dianna,
> It appears that someone using the netvision.net.il service was
> intentionally
> working mischief, either hoping to hack into SimsHost accounts or perhaps
> just
> being an annoyance. Since your account information is sent only to your
> address, your login information would not be compromised by this.
>
> All the best,
> Nancy
> Subscriber Support
> SimsHost Division
> The Lunar Resources Company
>
> Thought I would share. :)

Me too.
I changed my password, but still am quite nervous.

"Lucy Buckley" <gdfairy@comcast.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Happened to me too this morning. I wrote them and got the same answer you
> did.
>
> "k-n-d" <k-n-d@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Scratch that request, I found the email address and have already
recieved
> > this reply;
> >
> > Hi Dianna,
> > It appears that someone using the netvision.net.il service was
> > intentionally
> > working mischief, either hoping to hack into SimsHost accounts or
perhaps
> > just
> > being an annoyance. Since your account information is sent only to your
> > address, your login information would not be compromised by this.
> >
> > All the best,
> > Nancy
> > Subscriber Support
> > SimsHost Division
> > The Lunar Resources Company
> >
> > Thought I would share. :)

Laura Castellano waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
(OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> ...but I am confused. Just as a heads up to anyone who
> subscribes to Simshost--this morning in my email, I
> had two emails from their subscriber support giving
> me my password, as if I had requested it from them.
> Not only did I *not* request my password, I haven't
> even been to the Simshost site in over a week. I
> don't know if this was some sort of glitch, or if
> it was a clumsy attempt by some rube to steal my
> password, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else
> experienced this.
>
> Laura

The word I got is that the SImshost site was attacked by a hacker, and that
they are changing stuff to prevent this type of attack in the future.

--
--- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)

Rainbow

If you changed your pasword AFTER the hacker "was caught" or
preventative measures have been taken by the site, then you should be
ok.
If the original email quoted your password, then the hacker obviously
had access to your account. You need to change it, or ask the website to
give you a totally new account as soon as possible.

Rainbow

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)