Question Don't know what maximum RAM support

Aug 11, 2019
I have an ASUS X407UF with 4GB RAM DDR4 2400mhz SO-DIMM

I wanted to upgrade it from 4GB to 16GB. The problem is, I'm confused whether the maximum amount supported is 8 or 16 GB and I tried to use Crucial and Kingston's memory upgrade assistant tool. But both sites showed different results. Crucial stated maximum support is 16GB while Kingston stated 8GB. Now, I don't know what to believe and what to buy. Also, the results showed that the slots available for use is only 1 while CPU-Z and Task Manager stated that I have 4 slots available but when I opened the RAM module compartment, I saw 2 expansion sockets. What do I believe and what should I do?

It's highly unlikely a DDR4 laptop would be limited to 8GB unless the RAM was soldered and not replaceable. I took a quick look and it shows the laptop has 1 slot for RAM that can be up to 16GB, according to Crucial. Can you share your findings from Kingston?

Aug 11, 2019
It's highly unlikely a DDR4 laptop would be limited to 8GB unless the RAM was soldered and not replaceable. I took a quick look and it shows the laptop has 1 slot for RAM that can be up to 16GB, according to Crucial. Can you share your findings from Kingston?

Here is the findings from Kingston.

And for comparison, here's the findings from Crucial.

This is what ASUS has put up in their site which made me confused then.

There seems to me to be two upgrade options.

1. Keep the original 4gb and add another 4gb giving you 8gb total.
ryzen ram needs to be matched.

2. If you want 16gb, you need to replace the original 4fb with a 2 x 8gb replacement.

I really doubt that there will be 4 actual ram slots; the space in a laptop is just to valuable for such an option.

Take the back off and look for yourself, or look for a video on how to upgrade ram for your specific laptop.

There seems to me to be two upgrade options.

1. Keep the original 4gb and add another 4gb giving you 8gb total.
ryzen ram needs to be matched.

2. If you want 16gb, you need to replace the original 4fb with a 2 x 8gb replacement.

I really doubt that there will be 4 actual ram slots; the space in a laptop is just to valuable for such an option.

Take the back off and look for yourself, or look for a video on how to upgrade ram for your specific laptop.
There is only 1 slot in that laptop.

Here are the specs for the asus X407UF:
In particular:
Memory
DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM, 1 x SO-DIMM socket , up to 8 GB SDRAM
DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM, 1 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion, up to 16 GB SDRAM(On selected models) up to 16 GB Intel® Optane™ memory

Here are the specs for the asus X407UF:
In particular:
Memory
DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM, 1 x SO-DIMM socket , up to 8 GB SDRAM
DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM, 1 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion, up to 16 GB SDRAM(On selected models) up to 16 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
I saw that.. I guess I was reading it wrong.