Question Don't know what part of my system is doing this...

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
0ver 20 years ago, when my boyfriend bought my first PC, everything I learned, I learned from forums. Now, I have a Dell XPS 8930 that's been driving me insane -- and, I've previously gotten help from Tom's Hardware Forum. My present problem is this: Occasionally, and (so far) only when I'm on the internet, the monitor screen will black out for a few seconds, and then return to normal. This has been happening for at least two or three months. I don't want to waste anyone's time, but following is a bit of history, in case it would do you some good.

Until I got the XPS, I was in love with Dell. Now, not so much. This computer has had problems from get-go. Dell set it up with the OS on the HDD, as opposed to the SSD, and it had to be returned. When I got it back, it was better, but still had various problems, most of which I've forgotten by now. Just before the warranty ran out, Dell finally sent a Dell certified technician to look the situation over. He was very nice and very good. He said the motherboard and the SSD were both faulty (and this was when the computer was only about 2 1/2 years old), so he replaced both, and then everything started working very well. Recently (maybe 2 weeks ago) the mouse stopped working. While I was trying to get a response by using spare mice, the computer told me to "reinstall Windows." I did so -- but ended up with two OS's. They were both Windows 10; one was on the SSD and one was on the HDD. This wouldn't have bothered me, except that it slowed the system down, and that bothered my boyfriend. I finally called a local tech; he got rid of the HDD OS, and now everything in on the SSD. This is what I want, and actually did get it that way, myself, at one point. But, after the "reinstall windows," I couldn't get it back on my own.

The occasional blacking out of the monitor started well before the local technician did his magic, and, just today, it happened again. If anyone has any thought on this, I'll appreciate your response.

Doesn't sound like this blackout issue has any relation to Windows. It might be related either to the monitor or the GPU which could cause this issue, or one of the cables related to them.
See if it leaves any trace in Event Viewer or Reliability history. That can further confirm whether there is any relation to Windows.

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
I would also perform a clean reinstall of your display drivers and make sure you have the correct ones installed.
Thanks much for your response. I tried a couple things based on what Hellfire 13 said, because the blackout happened this morning again. I checked Event Viewer, did some internet research, and now I'm waiting to see if the blackout happens again.
Doesn't sound like this blackout issue has any relation to Windows. It might be related either to the monitor or the GPU which could cause this issue, or one of the cables related to them.
See if it leaves any trace in Event Viewer or Reliability history. That can further confirm whether there is any relation to Windows.
Hello again. I did have the monitor blackout this morning, and checked the Event Viewer. Saw a lot of stuff that meant nothing to me, of course, but internet research presented some possibilities. I decided to try the easier ones first, ie: switch to high performance mode, turn off hardware acceleration, modify TDR. Now, I'll wait to see if it happens again; if so, my research recommended some other things. Thanks again so much.

Thanks much for your response. I tried a couple things based on what Hellfire 13 said, because the blackout happened this morning again. I checked Event Viewer, did some internet research, and now I'm waiting to see if the blackout happens again.

Hello again. I did have the monitor blackout this morning, and checked the Event Viewer. Saw a lot of stuff that meant nothing to me, of course, but internet research presented some possibilities. I decided to try the easier ones first, ie: switch to high performance mode, turn off hardware acceleration, modify TDR. Now, I'll wait to see if it happens again; if so, my research recommended some other things. Thanks again so much.
Can you elaborate more on what exactly happens, maybe sequentially. Might help us get some insight. Also, let us know how it went.

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
Can you elaborate more on what exactly happens, maybe sequentially. Might help us get some insight. Also, let us know how it went.
I'll definitely let you know how it goes. It might be awhile, though, as the black screen hasn't been happening frequently. I knew it was wrong for that to happen, though, and was hoping I might be able to do something before it goes black and stays that way.

About all I can add for now is that the black monitor screen happens only when I'm on the internet, and, even then, it doesn't happen every time I'm on the internet. Below is something I got from the Event Viewer. (I was going to insert it here, but found out I couldn't, so I'm typing it in.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Critical 9/8/2022 6:16:48 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

"Critical" sounds critical, of course, but this was before the computer black-screened. If the system rebooted, I couldn't tell that it did so. I'll check this out more when I turn the computer on tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error 9/8/2022 6:23:40 AM nviddmkm 0 None
The description for Event ID 0 from source nviddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on your local computer.

The following information was included with the event
\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID 100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning 9/8/2022 6:23:41 AM Display 4101 None

Display Driver nviddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ralston18

Titan
@Raena92 .

What is the current make,model, wattage, and condition (original, new replacement, refurbished, used) PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

= = = =

I will offer some additional suggestions:

Also look in Reliability History. Much more End-user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

If you see increasing numbers of errors and varying errors then that (to me anyway) is suggestive of a faltering and failing PSU.

You can click on any given entry for more details and information. Those details may or may not be helpful but worth a look.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters: the troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Plus, if performance is an issue take a look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Either one or both may reveal some ongoing problem(s).

Display Driver nviddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered
Could be a driver issue. Can use this to verify...
https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Some fixes you can look into. Don't attempt the BIOS fix for now. Its more complicated and the most unlikely cause than the other ones...

Also, a detailed parts list would help.

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
@Raena92 .

What is the current make, model, wattage, and condition (original, new replacement, refurbished, used) PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

= = = =

I will offer some additional suggestions:

Also look in Reliability History. Much more End-user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

If you see increasing numbers of errors and varying errors then that (to me anyway) is suggestive of a faltering and failing PSU.

You can click on any given entry for more details and information. Those details may or may not be helpful but worth a look.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters: the troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Plus, if performance is an issue take a look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Either one or both may reveal some ongoing problem(s).
Hi, Ralston. Thank you for your response. Below are a couple things I got from the Reliability History:

Problem 8/27/2022 Windows was not properly shut down. 5:43 AM

Description The previous system shutdown at 7:44:28 PM on ‎8/‎26/‎2022 was unexpected.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem Sim City. exe stopped responding 8:28 6:12 AM 2022
Origin.exe stopped responding 8:28 6:12 AM 2022
Windows was not properly shut down 8/28 6:42

Description The program SimCity.exe version 10.3.4.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 3ae0
Start Time: 01d8bacee623ed10
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCity\SimCity.exe
Report Id: 7909cdcf-4fce-4c14-ba99-38442a3bf84d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

The previous system shutdown at 6:17:55 AM on ‎8/‎28/‎2022 was unexpected.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My own note to Forum I'm a dope at knowing how to do a lot of things. Is there some way I could do a screen shot of info that may be pertinent, and send that to the forum? Otherwise, there will be a lot more typing than I can do.

For now, I'll say this: I don't play games, but my boyfriend does. He doesn't remember any time that Sim City or Origin stopped responding. Also, he's not into heavy gaming; there's no video editing; and I don't even know what bit-mining is.

As far as shutdown goes, it's always done the same way: Right click on Windows logo; "Shut down or sign out" appears; in the pop out window that follows, we click "Shut down."

Is there another way the shut down should be accomplished? From 8/22/2022 through 9/08/2022, the Reliability Monitor shows 8 times that the shutdown was not done properly. But, it's always done the same way.

Also, I don't "get it" regarding the times, ie: Problem 8/27/2022 Windows was not properly shut down. 5:43 AM

Description: The previous system shutdown at 7:44:28 PM on ‎8/‎26/‎2022 was unexpected.

So it sounds like the 8/27 "improper shutdown" was caused by the 8/26 "unexpected shutdown." But nothing like that happened. There was no "unexpected" shutdown, I mean.

I couldn't copy or insert here what I found on the PSU. I can tell you it's all OEM. I haven't replaced anything. Well, the certified Dell technician did replace the SSD and the motherboard when he discovered they were faulty (barely 2.5 years after I received the computer, which Dell had screwed up from get-go, and even admitted as much.) Oh, and the PSU is 460 watts.

Thanks again for your help -- and thank you to everyone who has responded to my question. Seems like there should be a way I can send a thank-you to everyone, but, if there is, I haven't found it yet.

Basically, I'm totally lost, and starting to think if the black screen ever appears and stays, I'll just have to call my local tech again.

Oh, and so far today, I've had no black screen appear. I'll post again to let everyone know how things are going.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU's provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components.

Any failure or faltering in that provision can make Windows crash and often the crash is just deemed an "improper" shutdown.

For the most part, to me anyway, increasing number of errors/problems and varying errors and problems make the PSU a likely culprit.

Especially if the PSU is old, has been heavily used for gaming, and may have been a low-end, budget product to begin with. May be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

If most of the errors are associated with Sim City then a reinstall would be a good starting point.

In any case, unexpected shutdowns can and do corrupt files. Are you able to run "sfc /scannow" and "dism"?

If the problems continue then the next step would be to open the case. Hold on that for now and determine what problems, if any, occur.

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
Thanks again for your response. The XPS 8930 I have cost about $4000, so there shouldn't have been any "crap" in it, including the PSU. Then, again, it turned out the SSD and the motherboard were crap, so who knows? I'll run the "sfc /scannow" and the "dism" and will let you know what comes of the situation. Regards, Raena

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
PSU's provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components.

Any failure or faltering in that provision can make Windows crash and often the crash is just deemed an "improper" shutdown.

For the most part, to me anyway, increasing number of errors/problems and varying errors and problems make the PSU a likely culprit.

Especially if the PSU is old, has been heavily used for gaming, and may have been a low-end, budget product to begin with. May be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

If most of the errors are associated with Sim City then a reinstall would be a good starting point.

In any case, unexpected shutdowns can and do corrupt files. Are you able to run "sfc /scannow" and "dism"?

If the problems continue then the next step would be to open the case. Hold on that for now and determine what problems, if any, occur.
OK. I did the sfc /scannow, and it showed no problems. When I tried doing the DISM, it gave me four options, and I didn't know which to use. Maybe I should have used them all. Oh, and the problems aren't multiplying; in fact things seem to be getting better. No more black screens today, either. Thanks much

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
OK. I did the sfc /scannow, and it showed no problems. When I tried doing the DISM, it gave me four options, and I didn't know which to use. Maybe I should have used them all. Oh, and the problems aren't multiplying; in fact things seem to be getting better. No more black screens today, either. Thanks much
Hi, Ralston. Sorry it's been so long since I've been in touch. We've had some stuff going on here. Just wanted to let you know that I haven't had any black screens for a long time now. Hopefully, that will last. I'm going to enter here what I did, in case it would help someone else.

Switched to high performance mode
Turn off hardware acceleration
Modified TDR

Regarding the latter: According to my research, the TDR is supposed to be set at 0, but I read somewhere on the internet (specifically in connection with screen blackouts) that it should be set at 20. So, I followed these instructions:
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
Then right click any empty space in the right pane, hover over New and click QWORD (64-bit) Value
Name the new value TdrLevel (if the key already exists, double-click to edit the value)
Double click TdrLevel. Set its value data to 20, then click OK
Close Registry Editor and restart your computer

So far, so good. I'll just hope it continues that way. Thanks for all your help.

TRENDING THREADS