Commendable
May 19, 2019
I recently built this system:

Ryzen 9 3900x

MSI Meg Ace x570

Gskill Trident Z 3600c15d

EVGA RTX 2080ti black

Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ gold semi-modular psu

On first boot, I couldn’t post under XMP. I flashed new bios and was able to boot. However, system was unstable with dimm voltage at 1.35 V. When I upped voltage to 1.45, random reboots stopped (seemingly) and memtest stopped spitting errors.

However, at 1.45 V (dram, which I know is high) my PC force rebooted again. I am getting no error codes on motherboard.

Temps are normal and voltage readings from PSU in hardware monitor are normal.

These reboots also seem to be pretty random. I can be running meaningless tasks or be under load. I tried underclocking my memory to 3466 mhz at CAS 16 at 1.35 V and I was stable for a day. However, I did not understand why a ~100 mhz increase in speed should cause a reboot so I set memory to 3600 16-16-16-16-36. I passed memtest and prime95 for SEVEN HOURS before crashing overnight.

My event log around the time of the crash (restart) only reads as follows:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

-System

-Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID41

Version6

Level1

Task63

Opcode0

Keywords0x8000400000000002

-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2019-07-14T08:58:45.120220900Z

EventRecordID2951

Correlation

-Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

ChannelSystem

ComputerDESKTOP-SGCVL3M

-Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18

-EventData

BugcheckCode0

BugcheckParameter10x0

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30x0

BugcheckParameter40x0

SleepInProgress0

PowerButtonTimestamp0

BootAppStatus0

Checkpoint0

ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0

BugcheckInfoFromEFIfalse

CheckpointStatus0

I have read that other people experiencing this problem pinpointed it to a faulty outlet/irregular current, or plugging PC into a surge protector. I switched directly to wall outlet and no fix. Can my PSU really be rated too low? It is brand new and I know people tend to overemphasize wattage importance on psus, even in power hungry systems. I am stuck on what to do next.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I think resetting your BIOS by removing the battery for 1 minute and shorting the CLR CMOS jumper then booting into Windows with absolute nothing changed in the BIOS including XMP profile for memory.

See how it runs during benchmarks and gaming.
If it is stable then try your XMP profile for your RAM.
Again - run games or benchmarks yo test this then go back to the BIOS to change any settings you want to alter like voltage etc 1 at a time with a real good test after changing it.

This way you should be able to pinpoint which setting is causing your resets.
If your power supply is borderline sufficient as the 2080 ti draws a lot of amps under load and the Ryzen 3900X uses a bit more power than its previous 2000 counter parts then your over-volting could be pushing it too far.
It depends on your instability symptoms though as lack of power and over-volting differ.

What were your symptoms when you said 'system was unstable'?

Andy

Last edited:

thomasgreco0499

Commendable
May 19, 2019
I think resetting your BIOS by removing the battery for 1 minute and shorting the CLR CMOS jumper then booting into Windows with absolute nothing changed in the BIOS including XMP profile for memory.

See how it runs during benchmarks and gaming.
If it is stable then try your XMP profile for your RAM.
Again - run games or benchmarks yo test this then go back to the BIOS to change any settings you want to alter like voltage etc 1 at a time with a real good test after changing it.

This way you should be able to pinpoint which setting is causing your resets.
If your power supply is borderline sufficient as the 2080 ti draws a lot of amps under load and the Ryzen 3900X uses a bit more power than its previous 2000 counter parts then your over-volting could be pushing it too far.
It depends on your instability symptoms though as lack of power and over-volting differ.

What were your symptoms when you said 'system was unstable'?

Andy
Hey Andy. Thanks for the help. I have reset CMOS (using button) and booted using XMP (unstable). By unstable I mean I fail memtests, prime95, and get reboots. To me this seems like a power delivery problem, but I am not sure what memory errors usually look like.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Were all your BIOS settings at default after you reset it and the time displaying 00:00?
It should be an absolute full reset.

When you boot after this please do not go into the BIOS yet.
Just boot to Windows and run a game or benchmark.
We need to determine if it is memory or PSU related then you can alter the XMP profile once it runs stable.

Can you elaborate on 'unstable' - what is happening exactly?

thomasgreco0499

Commendable
May 19, 2019
Yes this is a fresh reset CMOS. I boot in XMP directly. I usually crash within a couple of hours. The system doesn’t completely shut off but it restarts to the windows login screen. I also fail memtests and stress tests at XMP. I beleive this is because geardown mode is disabled and ryzen doesnt like odd numbered cas latencies. When i switch to 3600 16-16-16-36 I pass tests and run stable for longer, but eventually force reboot. I posted the logs in my original post. 3466 16-16-16-36 at 1.35 V hasnt crashed yet, but I haven’t run tests. Am doing that now.

thomasgreco0499

Commendable
May 19, 2019
Were all your BIOS settings at default after you reset it and the time displaying 00:00?
It should be an absolute full reset.

When you boot after this please do not go into the BIOS yet.
Just boot to Windows and run a game or benchmark.
We need to determine if it is memory or PSU related then you can alter the XMP profile once it runs stable.

Can you elaborate on 'unstable' - what is happening exactly?
And I have booted without enabling XMP and it runs stable, just like when I run 3466 16-16-16-16-36. This was after a clean reset cmos 0:00:00

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Ok that's good news.
Run Windows Memory Test - type Memory Test into the search bar next to the Start menu.
There is an option for an intensive test but it takes hours so just the standard one.
If this shows no errors (takes a while to complete) then try the XMP profile.
Don't change any voltages though as the profile includes that.

thomasgreco0499

Commendable
May 19, 2019
Right
Ok that's good news.
Run Windows Memory Test - type Memory Test into the search bar next to the Start menu.
There is an option for an intensive test but it takes hours so just the standard one.
If this shows no errors (takes a while to complete) then try the XMP profile.
Don't change any voltages though as the profile includes that.
Right. My point is however that, for example, I can run a custom blend test in prime95 for 7 hours before crashing. The reboots are seemingly random. A two hour memtest is not going to tell me anything. I am currently running a custom blend for 12 hours. I am monitoring temps and voltages. If I pass, I’ll consider the system stable for now, however I am doubtful.