[SOLVED] Don't know what x570 board to get

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Hi, I have been working on my parts list for about 9 months now and I dont know what X570 motherboard to get or what GPU I want to get the 2070 Super but people say the 5700xt doesn't have drivre issues so i should get that. I also want to get the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WI-FI) but someone said it is worse than a b450 board so idk at this point I was looking at a gigabyte board but it wouldn't take the ram i wanted to put in the pc. So here is my parts list and I really just want to recommendations on my GPU but mostly my mobo https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dtT3CL

Solution
QVL lists are irrelevant. They don't tell you anything remotely like "only these will work on this board" AND, more importantly, not every kit listed on the QVL list will run at it's XMP speed. Most QVL listed kits are only tested at the default speed unless the QVL SPECIFICALLY SAYS that it was tested at the XMP speed. Just because it LISTS the XMP speed, doesn't mean that is the speed that the kit was tested at AND these days, the BIOS update improvements for Ryzen have resulted in just about any memory kit being able to work on most mid to upper tiered boards so long as the speed is compatible. For Ryzen, you want to stay at 3600mhz or lower kits.

And you don't ever want to run four DIMMs on a dual channel board unless you...
Is there a specific reason you are looking at X570 boards? Are you planning on getting and installing PCIe 4.0 compatible M.2 NVME drives? Because if not, there is basically no point to an X570 board. X470 or B450 boards offer as good, or better, performance and features. At least for features that matter. Current graphics cards don't even saturate the PCIe 3.0 bus much less 4.0. Waste of money.

Save your money and get an X470 or B450 board. Unless you simply don't want to have to deal with flashing the BIOS to support the CPU. Seems like a lot of extra money to spend just to avoid that. Even on boards without BIOS flashback, AMD has a CPU loaner program that will allow you to get a CPU from them in order to update the BIOS on any compatible existing chipset in order to make it compatible with Ryzen 3000. Or, most all repair facilities or places like Microcenter, Best Buy, Fry's, etc. will update the BIOS for a very modest fee. Usually between 10-20 bucks.

If your heart is set on X570 though, we can nit pick the build and make sure you get the most bang for your buck.

Last edited:

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
I considered that option but I may upgrade to a 3900X or 3950X down the line and I also may do some overclocking so I will consider the b450 option but I would just like to know what x570 mobo I should get cause every one is telling me different and my friend says to get an asrock and the Asus one I had on my list apparently sucks and I was looking at a gigabyte one but my ram wasn't on the qvl list so I just dont know what x570 board to get if i do get one

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
MSI has a nice x570 for 209$
Is there a specific reason you are looking at X570 boards? Are you planning on getting and installing PCIe 4.0 compatible M.2 NVME drives? Because if not, there is basically no point to an X570 board. X470 or B450 boards offer as good, or better, performance and features. At least for features that matter. Current graphics cards don't even saturate the PCIe 3.0 bus much less 4.0. Waste of money.

Save your money and get an X470 or B450 board. Unless you simply don't want to have to deal with flashing the BIOS to support the CPU. Seems like a lot of extra money to spend just to avoid that. Even on boards without BIOS flashback, AMD has a CPU loaner program that will allow you to get a CPU from them in order to update the BIOS on any compatible existing chipset in order to make it compatible with Ryzen 3000. Or, most all repair facilities or places like Microcenter, Best Buy, Fry's, etc. will update the BIOS for a very modest fee. Usually between 10-20 bucks.

If your heart is set on X570 though, we can nit pick the build and make sure you get the most bang for your buck.
I think what I should do is get the b450 mobo then for my birthday I can get an x570 taichi and if I can I will replace the money saved from the mobo to get 32gb ram or something

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019

I also want to get 3600 ram for my 3rd gen ryzen and I heard asrock is really good I don't think ill get a b450 or x470 cuz i will get a x570 soon after

Yeah, if you are going to get an X570 anyhow, later, then there is not much point in getting something else now. That too, would be a waste of money. As far as running 3600mhz RAM though, you don't need X570 to do that. There are many X470 and B450 high end boards that are less expensive than even a middling X570 board, that can run 3600mhz memory if a Ryzen 3000 series CPU that supports it is installed.

And when it comes to the memory keep one thing in mind. If you want 32GB, get it ALL at the same time. In ONE kit. Do not get 16GB now and then try to add 16GB later. Especially with high speed kits, memory not purchased together may require significant tweaking in order to get them to play nice together and in some cases, a lot of cases actually, may not do so at all. You also want to use as FEW DIMMs as possible. So if you want 32GB, then you want to get 2 x16GB, not 4 x8GB, because it is going to result in a lot less stress on the memory controller and will result in less heat in the CPU package.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Yeah, if you are going to get an X570 anyhow, later, then there is not much point in getting something else now. That too, would be a waste of money. As far as running 3600mhz RAM though, you don't need X570 to do that. There are many X470 and B450 high end boards that are less expensive than even a middling X570 board, that can run 3600mhz memory if a Ryzen 3000 series CPU that supports it is installed.

And when it comes to the memory keep one thing in mind. If you want 32GB, get it ALL at the same time. In ONE kit. Do not get 16GB now and then try to add 16GB later. Especially with high speed kits, memory not purchased together may require significant tweaking in order to get them to play nice together and in some cases, a lot of cases actually, may not do so at all. You also want to use as FEW DIMMs as possible. So if you want 32GB, then you want to get 2 x16GB, not 4 x8GB, because it is going to result in a lot less stress on the memory controller and will result in less heat in the CPU package.
My plan is to get a taichi mobo and 32gb of ddr4 memory at 3600 cas 16 and yea I agree that getting two different kits of memory is a bad idea and i avoid doing it if I find the ram and mobo are incompatible I will get the msi mobo that's around the same price as the taichi

Oct 6, 2019
I've an Asus x570 Tuf board and while I had a couple issues with it, overall it's a great, stable board so far for $200. 3800x boosts properly with latest bios and Issues I had are likely related to an older monitor and GTX 1060. If you are set on x570 then I'd easily recommend this board UNLESS you have a case with a front USB C port as this board is missing the header.

The slightly more expensive Asus Prime x570 has it but with a tradeoff of no built in wifi. Go figure.

Reactions: DMAN999

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
I think I know what I want to do, I will either get the kit with 4 8gb 3600 cas 16 ram that is trident z neo (I would have gone for 2x16 but i cant) or ill get 16gb cas 16 3600 that is not trident z neo but whatever so the choice is if i want 16gb ram or 32gb

If this machine is for gaming only, there is very little reason to spend the money on more than 16GB of memory. There is only ONE game I know of that supposedly recommends more than 16GB, maybe two, and that would be the new Star Wars and the Star Citizen game and both of them will play on 16GB easily as they have an 8GB minimum hardware requirement. Other than that, there are none that I'm aware of.

If you are doing other things that require more than 16GB, then you'll have to make that call.

To be honest, the Trident Z Neo memory seems to be problematic anyhow. I've seen a number of people with Ryzen systems that have had troubles with the Neo sticks. Pretty much all of the Ryzen platforms have been BIOS updated to the point where just about any memory will work in it now, within reason, so if you can get Ripjaws or regular Trident Z sticks, in the size and flavor you want, that should not be a problem as far as compatibility.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
If this machine is for gaming only, there is very little reason to spend the money on more than 16GB of memory. There is only ONE game I know of that supposedly recommends more than 16GB, maybe two, and that would be the new Star Wars and the Star Citizen game and both of them will play on 16GB easily as they have an 8GB minimum hardware requirement. Other than that, there are none that I'm aware of.

If you are doing other things that require more than 16GB, then you'll have to make that call.

To be honest, the Trident Z Neo memory seems to be problematic anyhow. I've seen a number of people with Ryzen systems that have had troubles with the Neo sticks. Pretty much all of the Ryzen platforms have been BIOS updated to the point where just about any memory will work in it now, within reason, so if you can get Ripjaws or regular Trident Z sticks, in the size and flavor you want, that should not be a problem as far as compatibility.
I want to get the 32gb kit because it's not too much more and it will help with workstation tasks that I may do. I want to get the 8x4 kit cause it's on the QVL of the taichi will this be a bad idea if I do? Should I just risk it and get a kit not on the qvl?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Dunno what msi was thinking, but their VRM's on the x570's aren't doing nearly as well as they did on the x470's especially on the 39 series until you get up into the rediculous price points. The best 2 x570's for the money are the Asus Tuf plus and Gigabyte Auros elite. Currently @ $190 for either.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019

Dunno what msi was thinking, but their VRM's on the x570's aren't doing nearly as well as they did on the x470's especially on the 39 series until you get up into the rediculous price points. The best 2 x570's for the money are the Asus Tuf plus and Gigabyte Auros elite. Currently @ $190 for either.
Asrock has kinda taken the lead for best x570 boards and that's why I am gonna get the taichi

QVL lists are irrelevant. They don't tell you anything remotely like "only these will work on this board" AND, more importantly, not every kit listed on the QVL list will run at it's XMP speed. Most QVL listed kits are only tested at the default speed unless the QVL SPECIFICALLY SAYS that it was tested at the XMP speed. Just because it LISTS the XMP speed, doesn't mean that is the speed that the kit was tested at AND these days, the BIOS update improvements for Ryzen have resulted in just about any memory kit being able to work on most mid to upper tiered boards so long as the speed is compatible. For Ryzen, you want to stay at 3600mhz or lower kits.

And you don't ever want to run four DIMMs on a dual channel board unless you absolutely have to. A LOT of systems will not be capable of running at their XMP speed rating with four DIMMs, ESPECIALLY on Ryzen. Some will, but if you want assurance that your memory can achieve it's rated XMP speed and timings, you want to stick to two DIMMs. It's also a hell of a lot easier on your CPU and IMC.

Solution
That is better. The memory manufacturers only have one thing to worry about, and that's whether THEIR memory works on a limited number of boards, rather than the motherboard manufacturers who would have an exhausting time of trying to make sure EVER memory kit out there worked on ALL of their motherboards. Not going to happen. Even testing all kits AT the XMP profile speed for just their flagship boards is unlikely.

The memory compatibility lists offered by G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, etc. are likely to be a much better tool than anything on the motherboard manufacturers product pages.

Reactions: DMAN999

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you actually stop and think about it...
Red ram is a different model number to black or blue or rgb, many times it's the exact same ram, just a different color.

Gskill has @ 3000 different model numbers just in the Trident-Z series. Add in the RipJaws, snipers, value, aries and the oddballs and you've got closer to 20,000 total individual models covering speeds, kits, colors, timings, rgb, sizes etc.

Then add all of Kingston models, Crucial, Patriot, Adata, Samsung, Toshiba, Amd, and everyone else and you've got a number closer to 300,000 individual model numbers, made from ram supplied by a handful of OEMs. Repeat after repeat testing of exactly the same ic's under different heatsinks. It would take a QVL 10,000 pages long and millions of man hours just to test all the ram on all the boards just Asus alone makes, and thats not going to happen. Ever. Asus would go bankrupt in a hurry.

QVL is nothing more than a few different kits from a few popular vendors, some owned, some donated, some prototype offered. All it says is a couple different vendors have shown that the claimed speeds of the mobo actually work.

QVL is Qualified Vendor List, not Qualified Ram List. Not Qualified as in Only these vendors work, but Qualified as in these Vendors did work, no guarantees on others.

That's a little excessive, considering that for any given board only certain TYPES of memory, as in DDR3, DDR4, are going to work. And only certain speeds as well. And if you further eliminate duplicate testing by removing models that only have different colored heatsinks, those three things will greatly reduce the number of models that might potentially need to be tested on a given motherboard or platform. Significantly reduce. Even so, no motherboard manufacturer is going to test even HALF of the numbers you outlined, so your point is still well taken and coincides with what I was saying as well, obviously. It's something the memory manufacturers need to do if they want to sell memory, but it is not something the motherboard manufacturers have to do in order to sell motherboards. Memory can't be changed later. BIOS support can be updated at any time for increasing compatibility.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Heh, those were just the DDR4 numbers....
Trident-Z there's 4 colors + rgb, there's 14? different speeds. 3 different Cas, 5? different sizes, 4 different kits and anywhere upto 5 or 6 different model numbers depending on whether they are single rank ic's, dual rank ic's, which vendor supplied the ic's, Ryzen certified etc. Adds up to somewhere around 3k different actual individual model numbers. Corsair lpx and vengeance isn't much different.

And that's not including all the vendors I've never heard of that pop up from time to time, especially in prebuilts.

300k might actually be a low-ball figure, all told.

But Samsung B-die is Samsung B-die, doesn't make a difference if it's 3200 Cas 14 gskill or patriot elite or Adata xpg....

Just a different paint job.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Avoid any MSi motherboard if you are planning to get a 95+ watt AMD CPU. The crappy VRMs overheat and thermal throttle the CPU... I have the problem with the Gaming Pro Carbon and MSi has not responded to any of my emails regarding this issue...