Don't know what's eating up my space?

paobreezy

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I have an 840 pro 128gb ssd which I put windows 8 on and program files. I have origin and steam on the ssd and I download the games to my hdd which is a 2tb. It seems everytime I download a game I seem to be losing space on my ssd and it seems to be eating about 1-2gb per game I download. Is this normal? BTW I have an asus p9x79 pro with a 3930k and gtx titan. I have the ssd connected on the gray sata 6 port and the hdd on the gray sata port also but the one that says ssd caching. Any help would be much appreciated. It's just the 128gb ssd seems so limited and I want to conserve as much space as possible.

P1nnacle

Distinguished
It could be your page file. Windows has a page file that is usually stored on the C:\ Drive with the main windows directory. This file is usually equal to the size of your ram but can be up to 2 times the amount. Has the space come back after a restart or is there no change?

P1nnacle

Distinguished
Yes, you could also check origin's downloads folder, you may have origin configured to keep the installers after the game is installed. I would highly recommend moving your games over to your D:\ Drive. it's the better way to do it in the long run.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

yeah, steam and its games have to be on the same drive. It doesn't work what you tried doing.

paobreezy

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
it actually does work. the steam and origin client are on my ssd and the games are saved on my hdd. how would i go about transferring steam and origin on to the hdd? is it as simple as drag and drop?

P1nnacle

Distinguished

This is not true, Steam recently added the ability to install games to multiple directories. So I could have Steam installed on my C:\ Drive, but have my games on the D:\ Drive.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

It's whatever your second hard drive shows up as. Maybe for your computer it isn't the D:\ Drive (although that is the most common) I was using D:\ Drive implying your 2 TB Drive. Which rereading I see that your game files are on the 2 tb drive. Check your steam and origin folders to see if any games snuck onto your C:\ Drive.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

It's whatever your second hard drive shows up as. Maybe for your computer it isn't the D:\ Drive (although that is the most common) I was using D:\ Drive implying your 2 TB Drive. Which rereading I see that your game files are on the 2 tb drive. Check your steam and origin folders to see if any games snuck onto your C:\ Drive.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

No you can't. I would back up your games folder and uninstall origin and steam, reinstall them and copy paste your games back into them. Then you should just be able to install them again, and steam/origin will find the files.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Dual drives are tough, but for the future I find the best way to set it up is to make a program files and program files x86 folder in the D drive, and just install everything to those, it makes it much easier to manage your files (if you want to get super fancy you can make a Game Program Files folder for steam and origin).

paobreezy

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
it seems the most space taking up my os is hiberfil.sys? it has 12.7gbs thanks to that guys recommmendation of spacesniffer

how would I backup my games? can i just drag the games folder to my desptop and then delete origin and steam?

P1nnacle

Distinguished
First try this, hyberfil.sys is the hibernation file, you should disable hybernating and that should get rid of hyberfil.sys.

You’ll need to open an administrator mode command prompt by right-clicking on the command prompt in the start menu, and then choosing Run as Administrator. Once you’re there, type in the following command:

powercfg -h off

hit enter and restart. Hopefully that fixes your problem.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

This is for hibernation, which is a feature you don't really need. Turning it off is really easy, and it will give you back the 12.7 GB it's currently taking.

Yes. Disable Hibernate on SSD is a must. I recommend you look up first time SSD user tips. I don't have a specific link but I learned about Disabling Hibernate due to the articles. SSD isn't quite like a HDD so you gotta disable some things that come enabled.

paobreezy

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I was actually able to disable it using samsung magician. but I havent restarted it yet. I was able to put steam on my hdd and now downloading a game to see if it will take up space on the ssd