Don't know which iso to use?

Nattress

Honorable
May 8, 2014
Hi i have a legit windows 7 professional 64bit copy of windows which wont install sp1. So i have been told to do a clean install of windows. i am downloading the iso to boot from a usb as i no longers have my disk. however i dont know which version to download. I am using this site to determine have already downloaded an iso and verified it using md5 and sha1.
https://tuhinsdecree.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/how-to-download-win-7-with-sp1-iso-and-verify-it%E2%80%99s-hash-key/
However i am not sure that it is the correct one. My windows was an oem version, so do i use:
en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso
(it has the u in there which i dont understand but may be universal?)
or another version.
Thanks in advance
Andrew

Solution
By legal he means from a reputable source.

Since the download is not coming from a Microsoft sponsored source, you have no guarantee that the image has not been modified. The cost of hosting something as large as windows for free to the public would be a very large cost, so you are unlikely to find a legit source to download from and would have to resort to torrents or other p2p. This is why he said we would not help with that.

In regards to the iso image itself, that build number appears to be an OEM image.
Don't fret the OEM/Retail thing though, you can use an OEM key on Retail disk, you will jut have to activate windows via phone.

bignastyid

Titan
The only legit(edit) means Microsoft had of downloading the OEM isos(Digital river) was taken down a few months ago. You'll either need to borrow a friends copy or purchase replacement media. Downloading from a non legit source is not something we will help you with.

Nattress

Honorable
May 8, 2014

it is legal as i have the product key to be used with the trial i am downloading!

By legal he means from a reputable source.

Since the download is not coming from a Microsoft sponsored source, you have no guarantee that the image has not been modified. The cost of hosting something as large as windows for free to the public would be a very large cost, so you are unlikely to find a legit source to download from and would have to resort to torrents or other p2p. This is why he said we would not help with that.

In regards to the iso image itself, that build number appears to be an OEM image.
Don't fret the OEM/Retail thing though, you can use an OEM key on Retail disk, you will jut have to activate windows via phone.

Solution

Nattress

Honorable
May 8, 2014

Thanks very much and dont worry i validated them with md5 and sha1 which is pretty much a guarantee

TRENDING THREADS