[SOLVED] Don't like my Temp, but are they normal?

Apr 12, 2020
I think my Temps are high, but I'm not sure If my expectations are reasonably set. Last thing I want to do is shorten the lifespan of my CPU too much, or cause unnecessary damage due to a lack of knowledge.

System
I7 7700k
(OC'd to 4.7Ghz on one core and 4.6Ghz on the others)

EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra

16gb Ram
(x2 Dominators) 3000MHz

Asus Z170-A

Corsair H100i
(2017 Model)

Corsair Carbide Case

My Temps are up to 80 Celsius at max load and even at 70 just running normal apps at 30% CPU usage. I do not like this at all and am thinking its my cooling. I'm running 6 Corsair 120mm fans.

At 10 - 15% CPU usage my temps are at 40 -50 Celsius
Voltage at 1.250V to 1.300V

Please help? Suggestions on overclocking are also welcome. Why are my Temps so High with a AOI water cooler?

I was expecting lower temps . . . like never seeing anything past 70 Celsius on high load and 30 Celsius Idling.

Solution
The sweet spot is around 65-75 degrees celcius if you're pushing your CPU, GPU to the limit. If it goes beyond 85 then you should do something about it, i.e. add some extra case fans to improve air flow or upgrade your cooler. 90 plus is just going to decrease the life span of your CPU so in that case your should act ASAP to drop those temps down. In your case 80 is fine so just keep an eye on your temp and make sure air flow is good and you clean any excess dust which doesn't help.

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
I think its fairly normal, I'm running a i5-7600k @ 5Ghz and 1.27V with a h100i pro and push pull on the rad. This gives me max temps of about 80C. Im not a expert or anything but i thing this gen of intel processors are thermally limited by the TIM thats between the processor die and the IHS. De-liding would fix this but is also kinda risky. I do however live in a hot environment (30-35C ambient temp) so it probably screws my temps.

Reactions: VulkanPrometheon
Apr 12, 2020
the goal is to overclock it enough to avoid as much bottle neck as possible. Deliding is way out of my scope of knowledge though. Thanks for the insight , thinking about going to a completely aluminium water cooled loop. Hows the stability and gameplay been? Ever get any throttling?

Mar 30, 2020
The sweet spot is around 65-75 degrees celcius if you're pushing your CPU, GPU to the limit. If it goes beyond 85 then you should do something about it, i.e. add some extra case fans to improve air flow or upgrade your cooler. 90 plus is just going to decrease the life span of your CPU so in that case your should act ASAP to drop those temps down. In your case 80 is fine so just keep an eye on your temp and make sure air flow is good and you clean any excess dust which doesn't help.

Reactions: VulkanPrometheon
Solution
Apr 12, 2020
2020-04-12.png

Apr 12, 2020
Those were the results after probably 6 hours of stress testing. Those max numbers were pretty rare, mostly cooling the cpu from about 73 degree's Celsius down to 68 under most 1440p 3dMark Benchmarks. At 4k benchmarks and heavy cpu stress (100%), it was in those lower 80's cooling down to the high 60's and lower 70's. I'm actually really happy with the results, this is after cranking all fans to full power in bios.
Thanks you guys!

Insight welcome on these results, please. I would have liked to get it to 4.8Ghz and higher, but I think its doing plenty for my 2080 TI. Custom Water cooling is definitely happening! It will be a while till I go for any 9900k's or anything.