[SOLVED] Don't seem to be getting the greatest frame rates.

ryan1983style

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Currently have an i75820K , 16 GB DDR4 3000, and GTX1080 in SLI ( when the game supports it ) But my question is in some titles like Forza Horizon 4 - When playing the game maxed out in ultra, and every other setting turned to extreme I am only getting about 60 fps. Resolution is 3880 x 1440 , 100 HZ monitor, gsync. Also in games where SLI is supported like black ops 4 - while playing zombies I see I'm averaging around 80 - 120 fps. Does this seem normal? Is it time for an upgrade? My CPU has a very slight overclock of 500 MHZ making it 3.8 GHZ. I've seen videos on youtube of people running similiar setup and are seeing around 100 fps on Forza Horizon 4. Who knows

Solution
I'm sorry yes I did mean to say 3440 x 1440. It's an Predator X34 and as far as I know all my drivers are up to date. Here is the link of the Forza video with very close to the same system I have, except the CPU is more overclocked.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_huiFyOOY&t=52s

I guess I didn't realise in the video its with a Titan X
Oh boy, you are comparing to a far different system than yours. He has a very OC'd 4th generation i7 that uses DDR3 memory and a Titan XP (Pascal) which trades blows with a 1080 Ti.
You got more 2 more cores and 4 more threads but at a MUCH lower clock (3,8GHz vs 4,7GHz). Just that makes a very big difference. You use a single 1080 and he has the...
Before you consider a problem on your system, let's discuss about what you are asking here.
A game that does not support SLI you believe that it should achieve more than 60 fps with max settings, at ALMOST the same pixel count as 4k (3840x2160), with a single 1080.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHutdCSraOQ

On this video he uses your CPU OC'd with a 1080 Ti at 4k and he can't achieve 60fps constantly.

Can you provide the link to the similar setup that performs 100+ fps at the same settings?

...at ALMOST the same pixel count as 4k...
Technically, that would be around 33% less pixels than 4K, so framerates would likely be roughly in-between 4K and 1440p. Though yeah, I wouldn't expect much higher frame rates at that resolution when only a single 1080 is getting utilized.

That's assuming the listed resolution is accurate though. What screen is this? Are you sure you don't mean something like 3840x1600 or 3440x1440? The first would only be around 25% less pixels than 4K, while the second would be around 40% less than 4K.

Forza I don’t know but I do game at 1440p with a 2080 Super which should be stronger than Sli 1080’s and there are games if I crank up the settings like you have I only average 100 FPS. So I’m not surprised that a higher resolution only gets 60 FPS.

As for BO4 although multithreaded I seem to remember it heavily relying on 1-2 cores. While you have a very nice cpu it’s not got the single core performance of newer CPU’s. I would not be surprised if 1-2 cores are hitting 100% and that is limiting the FPS.

Technically, that would be around 33% less pixels than 4K, so framerates would likely be roughly in-between 4K and 1440p. Though yeah, I wouldn't expect much higher frame rates at that resolution when only a single 1080 is getting utilized.

That's assuming the listed resolution is accurate though. What screen is this? Are you sure you don't mean something like 3840x1600 or 3440x1440? The first would only be around 25% less pixels than 4K, while the second would be around 40% less than 4K.
You are correct sir, I emphasized the word almost, for that reason. It's not as much but it's not 2k either.
I believe his framerate is as it's supposed to be.

I'm sorry yes I did mean to say 3440 x 1440. It's an Predator X34 and as far as I know all my drivers are up to date. Here is the link of the Forza video with very close to the same system I have, except the CPU is more overclocked.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_huiFyOOY&t=52s

I guess I didn't realise in the video its with a Titan X
Oh boy, you are comparing to a far different system than yours. He has a very OC'd 4th generation i7 that uses DDR3 memory and a Titan XP (Pascal) which trades blows with a 1080 Ti.
You got more 2 more cores and 4 more threads but at a MUCH lower clock (3,8GHz vs 4,7GHz). Just that makes a very big difference. You use a single 1080 and he has the equivalent of a 1080 Ti. You only have faster RAM.

In total, yeah, he has a better/fine tuned system than yours so it will perform better.

Solution

ryan1983style

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
You got more 2 more cores and 4 more threads but at a MUCH lower clock (3,8GHz vs 4,7GHz). Just that makes a very big difference. You use a single 1080 and he has the equivalent of a 1080 Ti. You only have faster RAM.

In total, yeah, he has a better/fine tuned system than yours so it will perform better.

What if I overclock my cpu some more? Say make it 4.4 ghz would it even be worth it? I would rather not upgrade for another couple years but I need my pc to be stable as I use it for other things. Or... Would upgrading my GPU to say a 2080 be a good idea? I take that it wouldn't be because of my current CPU clock speeds. I have a corsair h105 at the moment

Last edited: