Apr 30, 2021
Hello, I have a Ryzen 7 2700x and an RTX 2070 along with 16 GB of ram on a b450m gaming plus motherboard. I have had this PC since about 2019, I always expected my graphics card and CPU to be able to run around 240 hz. However, even on low settings for some games, I have trouble reaching 200hz consistently without frame drops. Is there something huge missing that I forgot to do to optimize my rig the best way possible? I just learned about XMP and turned that on yesterday in my BIOS.

Solution
Try disable full screen optimisation for both executables in the game's folder. Just read this helps. Setting for it under compatibility.

Have you enabled Xmp in bios? What speed is your ram supposed to be? Check with Cpuz under memory tab. If Windows is correct, they're currently running at 2133, that would hurt performance quite a bit also.
Apr 30, 2021
Games I try to run on 240- Valorant I run on mostly low settings, multithreaded rendering on, however I only run about 190 and even then its like 170-190 in game.

jackmarkey

Prominent
May 31, 2021
pc spec screenshot
On what speed is RAM running?
MB BIOS up to date?
hi this is jmark I accidently forgot password to my account. my ram is running at 1067mhz but that is through task manager. I have heard that it always shows less then what you are truly running at. And my BIOS has not been updated for my motherboard since I have gotten my pc, I will attach a picture.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try disable full screen optimisation for both executables in the game's folder. Just read this helps. Setting for it under compatibility.

Have you enabled Xmp in bios? What speed is your ram supposed to be? Check with Cpuz under memory tab. If Windows is correct, they're currently running at 2133, that would hurt performance quite a bit also.

Solution

jackmarkey

Prominent
May 31, 2021

wait sorry ca you explain the full screen optimization thing a little better? I am kinda new to pcs. I have enabled xmp in my bios and my max bandwidth is DDR4-2132 (1066)mhz

pc spec screenshot
hi this is jmark I accidently forgot password to my account. my ram is running at 1067mhz but that is through task manager. I have heard that it always shows less then what you are truly running at. And my BIOS has not been updated for my motherboard since I have gotten my pc, I will attach a picture.
That means your RAM runs at 2133MHz which is very slow (it's the minimum for DDR4) and that does greatly affects performance with Ryzen CPUs. If you also have a single stick of RAM or 2 placed in the wrong slots then you lose even more performance.

Run UserBenchmark and post the link to the results here please.

Reactions: jackmarkey

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
wait sorry ca you explain the full screen optimization thing a little better? I am kinda new to pcs. I have enabled xmp in my bios and my max bandwidth is DDR4-2132 (1066)mhz
Navigate to the folder where the game is installed, and look for the executable file. It should end in .exe or have an "application" tag on its right side.
The application itself is usually short in name, like Valorant.exe or something along those lines.
Right click on the application, click properties from the drop-down menu.
A small new window should pop up, then navigate to the "Compatibility" tab. There's a checkbox for enabling fullscreen optimization.
That said, my hunch is you're held back by the RAM. The fps drops sound like a slow RAM bottlenecking.

Reactions: jackmarkey and boju

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
You need at least 3000mhz ram with dual channel, and with xmp profile enabled, for optimum performance. You are bottleneck by the ram speed, since you use an RTX 2070 high end card, you need at least an 3000mhz ram. My 3600 with 3000mhz ram runs the game well.

Reactions: jackmarkey

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Would 3200mhz 16Gb Ram work with my build? I can purchase tomorrow at Best Buy. Or would that still bottleneck my cpu
Just buy 2 8gb sticks of the same brand and frequency for dual channel mode and enable xmp profile in bios. It will do the job or if you have a single 16gb of atleast a 3000mhz, just buy an another 16gb of the existing ram and latency to get dual channel mode.

Last edited:

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hello, I have a Ryzen 7 2700x and an RTX 2070 along with 16 GB of ram on a b450m gaming plus motherboard. I have had this PC since about 2019, I always expected my graphics card and CPU to be able to run around 240 hz. However, even on low settings for some games, I have trouble reaching 200hz consistently without frame drops. Is there something huge missing that I forgot to do to optimize my rig the best way possible? I just learned about XMP and turned that on yesterday in my BIOS.
Just refer the motherboard specs and bios for further instructions, mine is an gigabyte x570 ud, I didn't update any bios for dual channel, and my mobo supports upto 4000mhz, just refer the mobo manual for further information. For dual channel, two sticks of the same latency and speed is must that's, it other factors depends upon the motherboard.