DON'T USE AMD'S MOTHERBOARD COMPATIBILITY GUIDE

jgotts

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I'd like to warn everybody not to use AMD's motherboard compatibility guide. This guide is replete with errors and when AMD makes mistakes there is no recourse. Recently I spent nearly $100 on an AMD processor after using AMD's own compatibility guide:

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/DetailHandler/1,,30_182_869_4348^7923,00.html?queryID=2135

Mirror: http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts/amd-1.jpg

Some time between when I ordered my processor and when I installed it AMD realized their mistake:

http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/DetailHandler/1,,30_182_869_4348^7923,00.html?queryID=69047

Mirror: http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts/amd-2.jpg

My motherboard is an exact match for guide number one, revision 1.04 with BIOS 1014, so I spent about $90 on an AMD 3000+. After trying for several days to get it to work, including upgrading to a 500 W power supply from a possibly marginal supply, I thought something was going on. Lo and behold, that processor is no longer listed as compatible. I contacted AMD about their error and they said that they have absolutely no liability. So I'm out $90 and I may not be able to return my power supply either.

Buyer beware! Don't use this guide or you may be stuck with a processor you can't use and potentially be out hundreds of dollars. Hopefully AMD's refusal to own up to their mistake will wind up costing them thousands of dollars. From now on, I encourage you to think twice about purchasing products from this company.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Why would you go by AMD's compatability guide rahter than Asus'? ALmost sure that AMD got the list from Asus anyway, so if you want to complain to anyone, should complain to Asus, as they're the ones who made the board.

pat

Expert
Do you think AMD test their CPU with every board on the market??? That Asus who sent AMD wrong info, so instead of blaming AMD, then blame yourself for buying Asus. There is plenty of waaaaaaay better board than this one for an AXP 3000+

When I buy a board, I look at which feature I need, who make a board with them and which one have the better price/feature/perf. ratio. Then I look at which type of CPU is supported and decide which one I get.

Soooooooo, I never look at AMD site for opinion neither I buy Asus, especially their board with VIA chipset. Other board maker seem to be able to do good VIA board but Asus almost screw their's. I've used sSoltek board for my last 2 computers and my A64 3000+ is a perfect match for my nforce3 Soltek board.

Ohhh...it is better to ask here first for recommedation than coming here to complain...better be safe than sorry! You just learnt the hard way son!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
just another example of people blaming AMD for VIA's crap.

my two euros.

BIOSTAR M7NCG Athlon XP 2400+
ATI RADEON 9600SE
Adaptec 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI
2 x Quantum Atlas 10K3 18 WLS
WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
Toshiba 8x4x12x DVD±RW
AOpen Micro-ATX Desktop 200W

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, that board is junk. I'd still sell it if I got one free.

Anyway, are you CERTAIN you got the 333 bus 3000+ and not the 400 bus? Because AMD probably doesn't make the 333 bus version any more, and that's probably why they pulled it from the list.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Imp

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Consumers should be able to trust a manufacturer's information. If the list is not bulletproof, they should not even put it on their official company webpage. That's just bad policy.

jgotts

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
The motherboard is excellent. I've had nary a problem with my 2600+ (333 MHz) processor. I actually own two boards and this one had been in storage since I purchased it when it was top of the line. The board features SPDIF, Firewire, Serial ATA, software RAID, etc. Most A7V8X boards that were sold were stripped down, but not this one.

Since the board is a little bit old, it was important to me to get accurate information. If not for AMD's site then I would have bought an identical processor to the other motherboard. That's what I'll wind up doing but thanks to them I've wasted a ton of money.

Next time someone tells you X works with Y and you have no way to return X, see how you feel about it.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
"AMD makes no representations or warranties with respect to any information provided on this web document relating to the products of other companies, and expressly disclaims any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement with respect to such products. "

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
no one ever accused computer manufacturers of keeping their information correct. just look at any motherboard manual, there are always errors with their own product. not to mention the highly comical engrish.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!