Don't want to connect to extender, only router

Sandbag86

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Strange problem. I'm not a technical person btw.

I live in the top room (attic) of a shared house with 2 other housemates (below). Couple of days ago I got a connection problem with my laptop wifi. The wifi (internet) suddenly cut out (I was still picking up a signal from the router) and when I opened up a browser, a dialogue box appeared asking me for me for a username and password for some tp-link wifi extender thing (tp link ac750).

I don't want to connect to this. I don't trust it for one (another housemate could have installed it but I'm not sure). Secondly, my wifi signal strength is fine. I want to connect directly to the router but my laptop won't let me/I don't know how.

When I take my laptop physically down to the router and stand 1 meter away the laptop reconnects to the wifi. When I go back to me room (after 5 mins) I get the same problem as above!

Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
Windows 10?

I would go down near the router and follow THIS step by step guide to prioritize your wireless connection, making the router the number 1 priority. Then go back upstairs and check to see that it works.

If that doesn't work, although it should, ask the others if they have added the extender and see if they will share access or explain how they configured it so you can do a work around.

Sandbag86

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
No, windows 7, apologies.

Bit more information - The last time it did I noticed it changed the network name from TNCAP24AEBF (i.e. what it was before) to TNCAP24AEBF 3 (i.e. the same but with a 3 on the end).

Sandbag86

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Thanks realbeast, the confusion is that TNCAP24AEBF is already my preferred network connection. It appears that when I move away from the router it is just changing the network name of that same connection (or is it?). No new networks are appearing anywhere. To explain better I've included pictures;

This is how available networks appear AFTER the problem occurs.
ZhdWWtD.png

This is the dialogue box that appears
nFNNKaU.png

This is what appears in my 'manage networks' dialogue
z0VtIgn.png

http://imgur.com/a/VkoxC

RealBeast

Titan
It looks like they set up the device using a different user ID/password than the main router. You should check with the others to see who did it and get that information so that you can log on to the extender. If there is a cooperation issue you may have to install your own extender, although that would potentially interfere with bandwidth from both extenders so it is not the best idea for all involved.

Sandbag86

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hi Real beast,

After speaking with my housemates it turns out one did indeed install an extender recently. I've logged into the admin page for the extender and connected through there. So a non-technical solution has been found to the problem. Don't know If I'll have any problems in the future but hopefully this has sorted.

Thanks for taking time out to offer help, really appreciate it.