don't want to upgrade windows 8.1 but don't want to miss out on free windows 10.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I currently have windows 8.1. It works and I like it. I don't want to have problems and I don't want to change yet. But with windows 10 is only free for a little while longer (if anything hasn't changed, and if it did please tell me). Windows 8 wont support dx 12 so i will need to upgrade at some point. Is there a way to save a copy that can't be taken away when you can't upgrade for free anymore? I want to be able to upgrade down the road after the free upgrade has expired? I want to claim a copy to use later. Is there a way of doing this????

Solution
But you may be able to upgrade to 10, then revert back, keeping the 10 license for future use.

Is your copy of Windows retail or OEM?

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014
to anyone else who reads this but would making an install disk (non activated) and then upgrading when you want, would this work?

the best thing you could do is upgrade to windows 10 and try it out for a week or 2 and then downgrade back to windows 8.1 if you dont like it, you can find how to do this by going here

USAFRet

Titan

That is very much a 'maybe'. As we have not crossed the July 28 barrier yet, this process may or may not work.
Or it may work, but only for 30 days.

I would not count on this working forever.