Don't Worry, GameStop Will Sell You A Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Friends don't let friends shop at Gamestop. Sure, you can buy a Switch at Gamestop, but only after they hassle you to sign up for subscriptions, buy a bunch of used games, sign up for their club, pay extra for insurance, and the many other scummy things they do. Just wait for the Switch to be available from Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, or somewhere else more reputable. I'd sooner buy a Switch from Sears than Gamestop.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I have to disagree with you about GameStop being bad. I've shopped there since EB games got bought out by them (funcoland before that) and I have never been pressured into a purchase from them nor to sign up for their membership. Of course at check out they are going to explain the benefits of said membership and also ask you if you would be interested in picking up a strategy guide or season pass that's their job. They are in the retail business and sales is what drives the retail business. I feel most people that don't like best buy don't like that they only give them a couple dollars for a game they are trading in but I feel thats a little ludicrous imo because you don't have to take it and you could try and sell it yourself on Craigslist etc. I myself like to shop there when I can I like the atmosphere, talking about games with other gamers in a gaming retailer it's fun to me and I see them as a lone wolf.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Yeah, Gamestop's Canadian equivalent (Electronics Boutique, now known as EB Games) is fine. Yes, they try to push the used inventory, because of course they do: They're a business. But the people who work there are awesome, and I can't tell you the number of times I've accidentally had an hour go by because I'm too busy chatting about Pokemon, or Starcraft, or Civilization. I think a lot of their hate is because they're the biggest player in the games market.

ThinkGamer1337

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
Gamestop is great! I go there all the time to chat about the hottest games. I've never had someone be pushy or "hassle" me. The employees do tell customers about options when checking out. It's the same thing Amazon does by suggesting more items before checkout. It's their job to create more business! Why is it ok for Amazon to force you to look at a dozen products before checkout, but somehow bad for Gamestop to make a few promotional suggestions? Don't buy into the false media hysteria about Circle of Life. Pre-order a Nintendo Switch today before you miss out because of complaining.

Goolashe

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
Looks like GameStop is astroturfing again, judging by those first three comments and the negative marks on the 4th.

NOBODY I know of has had a good experience with GameStop in a long, long time. They really know how to stop the fun.

dstarr3

Distinguished
If you're buying new games or consoles, Gamestop has the same prices as everyone else. If you're buying used, they're hideously overpriced. There's just zero reason to buy from Gamestop. Not to mention how aggressive they are to sell used copies of current games to rob the devs/publishers of the revenue. They need to keep their business afloat, sure, but their business is pretty detrimental to the industry.

I generally don't think of piracy and buying used as being ethically equivalent, even though the creators of the products see the same revenue in either case. But piracy vs. Gamestop, both are just about as ethically bankrupt in my eyes.

Squander

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Everyone who gives concrete examples of their experience at gamestop over the years is being downvoted. Everyone who speaks in pleasant generalities is getting upvoted.

What ever could be happening?

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
When I look at the comments here is seems that everyone with something positive to say has an explanation for why they have thoughs positive rationales rather then ripping clever one liners and being negative without any actual explanation as to why they feel so negative. Maybe people are tiered of the whining and moaning over completely rediculaous reasons like sales staff trying to make a sale... I mean they most really lose it at McDonald's when the drive through attendant asks if they want to make it a combo and if they want to make it a large for 30¢ more.. omg the tragedy of it all, humanity is lost, the end is nigh. In the end it's all that $&@$*& MTV's fault.

bloodroses

Distinguished

Lucky! We used to have an EB here in Michigan. It ended up getting bought out by Gamestop and now it horridly sucks. :(

Seriously, why are people defending Game Stop? After everything they've done to destroy the game collecting scene? Why not look up their most recent shenanigans, with their Circle of life program? Look at all their horror stories behind their retro game sales. The quicker Game Stop collapses the better.

bloodroses

Distinguished

For sure. I remember talking to a Game Stop employee years ago asking what do they do with the old console games that people would trade in. They said after a while they get thrown into the dumpster to make room for other stuff. Imagine the super rare games that you'll never be able to get because it is now sitting in a landfill somewhere. When it comes to buying/collecting, support your local stores when you can. They have much more care than 'strictly profit' retail chains.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

Prove it... I'm just saying lots of accusations of fowl play but I have yet to actually see physical prof and I've never experienced anything remotely close to what people accuse them of in lets see I'm 28 so I've been shopping there since idk 8, 10, idk something along that line; so roughly 20ish years or so. I believe the worst thing that happened to me was being turned away from a purchase because I was too young for the ratting of the game life was tough at 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS