Doom 3 BFG Uses Rage Tech, Faster Gameplay Than Original

Status
Not open for further replies.

namtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Well Rockstar used the Rage engine for Max Payne 3 and I've hardly seen any bugs in that. Guess it depends how much time they've spent polishing the end product. Rage was horrible in the beginning. Then after a few patches it worked better. After the last patch they've made the game unplayable on my 5970.
Now I'm stuck with a game that I'd like to do another run through with, but is unplayable. Thanks ID.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
See now I almost want to buy this just to see if its actually worth it. The thing that irked me about idtech 4 and 5 engine were the ultra low res textures on the ground and things like phones and the like... random garbage if you will. Like they have no higher resolution than 16x16 or something. They have amazing textures on things like enemies and npcs (see: RAGE) and the outside world from a distance looks great... but once you get close it looks pixelated as all hell. Like it doesnt have that last mip level of detail. But now with dx11 and the concept of high res (if not photo-realistic) textures and the old style doom faster paced action (hopefully with more enemies on the screen as well) it just might be playable.

[edit]About Rage... the real reasons it sucked was the storyline wasnt compelling and just sort of stopped all of a sudden, the afore mentioned detail/high res textures missing, and the inability to pick a genre and go with it... or as carmack called it "messaging" as to what the game was supposed to be... So in a world accustomed to mass effect like storylines and fallout like rpg elements in an FPS we got a half assed version of both of those with some "death race" thrown in for color. I never experienced the bugs that some complained about but those are game issues not engine issues.

So Id essentially putting doom3 on the idtech 5 engine and updating the textures and lighting could make doom3 really fun! [/edit]

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]namtrooper[/nom]Well Rockstar used the Rage engine for Max Payne 3 and I've hardly seen any bugs in that. Guess it depends how much time they've spent polishing the end product. Rage was horrible in the beginning. Then after a few patches it worked better. After the last patch they've made the game unplayable on my 5970.Now I'm stuck with a game that I'd like to do another run through with, but is unplayable. Thanks ID.[/citation]

RAGE = vide ogame developed by id Software using the id Tech 5 engine
RAGE = Rockstar Advanced Game Engine used in GTA IV, Max Payne 3 and GTA V

Know the difference

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Chipi[/nom]RAGE = vide ogame developed by id Software using the id Tech 5 engineRAGE = Rockstar Advanced Game Engine used in GTA IV, Max Payne 3 and GTA VKnow the difference[/citation]

RAGE
noun
1.angry fury; violent anger.
2.a fit of violent anger.
3.fury or violence of wind, waves, fire, disease, etc.
4.violence of feeling, desire, or appetite: the rage of thirst.
5.a violent desire or passion.

Sentence Making: I was so filled with rage when RAGE was popping textures the first day I tried to play it so I went back to playing Pokemon

4745454b

Titan
Sentence Making: I was so filled with rage when RAGE was popping textures the first day I tried to play it so I went back to playing Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Fixed.

Sounds like a fun game. Never got to play the original 3 so I want to try this one. (played 1 to death....)

G

Since when was SURVIVAL HORROR supposed to be "fun"? What IS the definition of "fun"?

ozvip3r

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]RAGEnoun1.angry fury; violent anger.2.a fit of violent anger.3.fury or violence of wind, waves, fire, disease, etc.4.violence of feeling, desire, or appetite: the rage of thirst.5.a violent desire or passion. Sentence Making: I was so filled with rage when RAGE was popping textures the first day I tried to play it so I went back to playing Pokemon[/citation]
WTF...

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
LOL. Rage was nice but not as good as Quake II. They should make a game that offers identical movement and shooting physisc as in quake II with updated graphics and some other ideas . BUT movement mechanics and shooting mechanics should be the same . That would be 100% bestseller.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If they want me to grab one for the PC they better have proper crisp hq textures, not some smeared out, over blurred crap that look like a 4 year old who had some fun with paint box for the first time just because the current consoles can't handle more than that. Sorry to say it but the current console hardware is ancient and its holding the gfx evolution stagnant, don't we all want better quality in the games?

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
"Levels have been re-designed to match the pace, and the team has thrown in new textures to bring the game up to speed on current consoles." "heck of a lot of Rage tech into the Doom 3 engine"

So they have ruined it for the PC and Kiddie Consoled it. Ever notice the colors on console games, they are drab compared to the PC because consoles can't handle it so they dumb it up with blandness for the drones.

End Sarcasm

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]linux support or it didn't happen[/citation]
Carmac has turned his back on us, he has got the $$ bug like so many others.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Tmanishere[/nom]So can I have duct tape to put flashlight on my gun?[/citation]

No. I'm sure that will be a $15 DLC. :D

But seriously, I read before that they will finally attach it to the suit/gun so it can be permanently on.

Status
Not open for further replies.