Doom 3 CPU Reccomended Requirements

Zonta

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Heard from my friend (A good source)that works real close with the company that the game DOOM 3 is going to reccomend a P.4 2.8 and OR 2800+ AMD CPU along with 1gb of ram. He also told me that even the next-generation of video cards isnt going to push the Doom technology to its limits. Even if you own the best technology when the game is released, you wont be able to play it over 45fps at highest settings. He said thats its goign to take months after before we start playing this game at over 60fps! I think its a bummer for everyone that wants to play this game at max and run it smooth. I mean 45fps is not bad but then again who has a high end pc like that? What do you guys think?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zonta on 04/24/04 09:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Right... to prove to me that you're not bsing is would you happen to know the estimated release date? And i don't think it's a surprise that we won't be able to run it at max quality at playable frame rates, since FarCry alrdy showed us that, the 9800XT cannot run Far Cry at 1600x1200 at Highest quality, with aa on full...

Just a little test for your honesty...
Is the game DX9 based or OpenGL?

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Zonta

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Look man. If you dont want to believe me i dont care. I know for a fact what i was told was true. My friend knows alot of things. He however doesnt know when the release date is, Because they keep changing it. he said his guess was this summer. More comments on this issue are more than welcome. Thank you all and start saving some cash for DOOM. Thats all I have to say. This game is POWER hungry unlike any other game!

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
take all info you hear about half life 2 or doom 3 with a grain of salt. While I dont doubt it will push the graphics cards to thier limits, they wont make the rquirements so high that few people can play it, thats just not good business. in fact the people that I know that work in the 'business' i.e. blizzard and activision, have told me what they have heard is not that high in requirements, in fact evne in public statements from activison, they have said they are designing it so users can sitll play it smoothly without having the newest generation of parts. But im sure you can expect a 1.5 ghz-2.0ghz recommended cpu and 512mb of ram.

Zonta

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
NOTE on top. I said RECCOMMENDED. Shure the minimum requirements are going to be around what you just said and shure YOU will be able to play the game without next generation software and YES you dont need a high end pc to play it. BUT. And this is a big "BUT". Its going to play liek crap. believe me, even far cry play like its not perfected even with the high end pc from alienware. I know because my friend has an AMD FX computer from them and he always complains about the graphics. AND the reccommended requirements for FARCRY is a p4 2.5 and OR and AMD 2000+ with 1gb RAM ! DOOM 3 has way better graphics than that game so what makes you think the reccommended is going to be the same? READ People! Thanks for your comments by the way, but get some facts staright before saying false statements. Any more comments ?

TheFamilyGuy

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
shure? never heard that word. Well I thought they already did benches with DOOM III and the nvidia cards did rather well considering they aren't that great, so what makes you think the new cards which will be twice as fast wiln't be able to put up over 45 fps? maybe not at 1200x1600 but really, who is gonna play at them resolutions? Most people are lucky if they get 100 fps in counter-strike at 1200x1600.

Zonta

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
I dont know about you but I like to play my games at highest settings and max resolution. It makes the game more enjoyable and its really meant to be played at the highest performance. If you want to play at low resolutions then get an XBOX and play DOOM 3 and HALO 2 at 600x800. But if your like me that wants the best and doesnt settle for anything less then you know what im talking about. PC gaming isnt cheap. Any comments?

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
um right false inof, you have no evidence to say im giving false info as much as anyone has proof that your giving truthful info, so please refrain from the bs and stay on topic.

Anyway, it shouldnt be a big suprise that you may nto be able to run at max settings across the board. The fact is what is playable and smooth at a REASONABLE res. That is not top of the line. I also doubt it will be as hard as you think to run it at max settings considering that the game may not be out till the end of the year , perhaps the nvidia 6800U or ati x880 xt will be plenty to run at a reasonable fps. Reasonable to me is 50-60, now 100 would be great, but i dont need it. I will bet you that at 1024x768 or even 1280x960 that a user could play at a good, maybe not best, but good quality. If oyu have prrof otherwise, by all means present it, otherwise you have to wait like all of us. My bet is based on a business not on any info about the game and on the information i have heard, but nothing , i repeat, nothing is definite, no matter who you hear it from.

I think the one point here is that it will be playable and enjoyable when it comes out for a big range of users, if oyu cant get it to hit max at 1600x1200, well thats just too bad and if you cant handle any less, then well thats too bad. i know i will.

Zonta

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
BUT. Your missing the point. You even said it yourself. REASONABLE is around 50-60 FPS. Then what do you consider less than 45fps? at 1200x Resolution? Crap? You would think that the Geforce 6800 Ultra or the ATi x800t Would be able to run these games with an AMD FX-55 and 1gb of Hyper X Ram at max, but this game is ridicously demanding at high quality settings. The fact of the matter is we wont see any hardware until next year that can push next-generation games at max settings with smooth gamplay and that can get many people like me who spend alot and expect the best from their computers. And im tired of people like you saying what is reasonable. Everybody has their expectations. My expectation is very high. What about yours> Comments?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I guess you're not a big expert at rams, HyperX is one of the worst of the brand rams.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
I don't know bout anyone else, but I'm really thankful for people like Zonta. I mean without people like him, us hardware forum hicks would be completely lost, and not have any inkling about any game requirements whatosoever!

So Zonta, thank you very much. Thank your friend too for his most educated recommendations. A P4 2.8, or a 2800+ processor? Who'd have think it?! Shucks here we are, thinking that our Cyrix processors would've been A-okay, how wrong we all are.

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Payment in bed credits.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Tell your friend not to worry! By the time the retail version of Doom III is released, everyone here will have died from old age!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well your right everyone's definition of reasonalbe is differnt, but i mean what is the industries definition of reasonable. The reasolution generally used is 1024x768, not 1200x anyhting. I dont deny Id like to play at that resolution, but im saying that the people at activision arent stupid enough to make a game that is unplayable at anyhting but the highest settings,, they will make it to ware it is still enjoyable at 1024x768 at medium settings, which i might add is reasonable for the general public. Good lord, the majority of console gamers will only get 640x480. Now Im not debating what you think is reasonable or what you want, im just saying that in general, it will be playalbe, and most poeple will be fine with it. Ill be fine with it. If I cant play itat ahigher res with max settings, well then i guess ill have to wait for that with the next gen cards. Btw, the R500 will be out near years end, which maybe the same time or before doom3 is out, and certainly before half life 2. We have no way of know what will be available at the time.

I do want to say i appreciate the input, im just trying to point out that I dont think anyone has the answers and we have to wait and see. There have bene tons of rumours about requirements. If its true it requires such power ot even be playable by the average user, taht will be indeed a shame and will hurt sales for sure. But I just cant accept it that they would knowingly make the game only playable using the best of the best in hardware, what since is that? I still firmly belive it will be acceptable and enjoyable for MOST when its released on mid range to high end video cards/systems at the time. I know this isnt want you want, but Im talking aobut over all, not for the more enthusiast gamers like you or me. Im excited to see how ati and nvidia show off thier next cards, that will give me an idea of doom 3 and half life 2 performance.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
2.53 Or 2500+ recommended minimum requirements for the calculations required for stencil shadowing. Game also now needs DX8.0 OpenGL 1.3(I think might be 1.4) class shaders.

This is old news it’s from a game spy article I am pretty sure, or one of the "official" fan site interviews.

Xeon

<font color=orange>Scratch Here To Reveal Prize</font color=orange>

cecil009

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2004
what is interesting is that i read somewhere (i think gamespot or ign) that carmack is optimizing the game for nvidea cards. so should i get that 450$ radeon card now or wait for the new gforce. and if i get a gforce do i need to change mboards to a nforce chipset. (building a new computer in the next 2 months)

pauldh

Illustrious
Not sure where you live, but there aren't any $450 video cards worth buying now. If you need a card now, a $200 Radeon 9800pro is the most expensive one worth buying. Either that, or buy a cheaper R9600Pro to get you by until the new cards are available and thoroughly tested. IMO the FX5950 and R9800XT have been a waste of money, and right now are a total waste considering they are about to get trounced for a similar price.

As far as what to buy for the next generation, knowbody knows right now. We shall soon see. But yeah NV 6800U might score higher on an NF3-250 compared to on other chipsets. It will be interesting to see if X800 beats out the 6800U on all other platforms except on the NF3-250 A64's, I'll be real curious as to how they both would beform on a K8T800pro mobo. Will the NV card just get a boost in performance, or will the ATI card also take a hit on NF3-250? Seems to fall in line with NV's recent reputation that they might just cripple the X800 on their NF3-250 chipset or NForce drivers. Hope not, or if they do, I hope they get bashed for it and correct the issue for Socket 939 and the R423. I imagine that Socket 939 NF3-250 will be in my next gaming box, as well as the better of NV45 or R423.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

exar333

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
If your friend is still complaining about his "slow" athlon fx...ill take it off his hands....get real...there has always been games that came out before you could max out their settings...its a not a new thing...get over it...enjoy the game...and max out the settings later if thats all you care about...me, i just like to have fun...be it 1024x768 or 1600x1200...

"I speak as neither an AMD or Intel fanboy, just giving the facts."

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Congratulations!!! you are the one millionth person to ask what they will need for Doom 3.And your prize is a swift kick in the ass.

How the [-peep-] are we supposed to know what cpu would be good for doom 3 when the game is not even out yet?

Go read some reveiws on cpu and then decide or maybe you should use the [-peep-] search option and save us the trouble of anwsering this same dumb post over and over.

Aquamark score of 34,306 Goal 38,000
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152</A>

Zonta

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Well guess again man. Im not asking what the CPU requirements are. I simply gave you an educated and reasonable assumption of what to expect. Shure, nobody knows for shure what the final game will reccommend, BUT, expect it to be around the same as what my firend told me. And thanks for all the people who actually reason from my post and dont bash me and tell me im a liar. I know much about Doom 3 because I try to get the latest info on it. Doom 3 is going to be the first NEXT-GENERATION game on which all other first person shooters will be compared to in the next couple of years ( YES, even Half life 2, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R too). It is a very imporant release to the PC world and showcase where we stand at the moment based on our hardware. Without games like Doom 3 we wouldt need such high CPU usage or ram or video cards or a HIGH END PC. After all, Video games are the main reason why technology on computers keeps growing at such a fast speed. It is games that make Nvidia and ATi. Lets not forget why we want the best for our computers. We want the best to play the best and that is what I expect from my games and with everyhting else i invest my money in. Comments anyone?

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
How can you say it wlll be the frist NEXT-GENERATION game?What is your basis for this?

Aquamark score of 34,306 Goal 38,000
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152</A>

Zonta

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
My basis is on this because NO OTHER VIDEO GAME has been talked more about on graphics than Doom 3. Look at the web sites. Voodoo PC talks about its technology. Nvidia is jocking and promoting Doom 3 like crazy and showing off what it can do with shader 3.0. Call alienware and tell them to tell you how this game looks. They go on and on and on abotu the graphics and how good this game looks. Infact, do me a favor and check our their website and look at the demo they have there. there is no denying that this game is unlike anything weve seen and to me thats next-generation. Kinda like the first time we saw Mario 64 or the first time we saw resident evil. Did they not seem like next-generation games? To, me they did. The fact is that no ther video game to this date has such advanced graphics and technology than Doom 3. It's not just me that thinks this way neither. Look it up. IT'S EVERYWHERE. Comments?

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Wow, you should work for activision, very good marketing.

Anyway, I agree doom3 will be quite an evolution on gaming technology. It and half life 2 will be gorund breaking and the engines they use, along with the unreal 3.0 engine which looks awesome, will be used in upcoming games for some time. I cant wait to see what games employ the new unreal engine along with how doom3 and hl2 will be.

I think the big point here is that you cant say you know the requirements, these numbers you think are so special have been floating aorund for months and I still wont stake my opinion on it. There is no hard evidence to support that. The people I know in the field have givne me estimates, but evne they say its too early to say since activision is still modifying the game, its not even finished, so requirments will change. I dont think anyone here will say it wont look awesome, good lord its bene EVERYWHERE online for a while, this isnt new.

I think thats about all you can say about this. No one has any real info, its all estimates and/or rumours and im getting tired of hearing thread after thread of it. theres only so many times you can read aobut doom 3 or whatever requirements. its just as annoying as all the nvidia vs ati threads since the ati card isnt even out yet.