DOOM 3, LCD monitors, and you

SERVO

I'm seriously thinking of picking up an LCD monitor (a 19" or 22"
Samsung). Would any of you care to wiegh in on your experience with
LCDs? How do games like DOOM and UT look and work with them? I've read
in the past that there's a noticable lag with some models. Any input
would be helpful.
--
Servo
"There's no such thing as Mr. Hankey"

Servo wasted my time on 2/28/2005 10:06 AM with the following:
> I'm seriously thinking of picking up an LCD monitor (a 19" or 22"
> Samsung). Would any of you care to wiegh in on your experience with
> LCDs? How do games like DOOM and UT look and work with them? I've read
> in the past that there's a noticable lag with some models. Any input
> would be helpful.

I'm a moron when it comes to monitors, but I have a LCD (15" VGA :()
hooked up to my radeon 9600SE, and Doom 3 looks fine on it. Hell, I
even tweaked the settings a little and made it a little like my pal's
21" plasma (man, I was praying for some unfortunate accident to befall him)

UT looks pretty good to me too on an LCD. I can't speak from experience
about DVI, but I would say to go with that.

As far as lag, I get a total of 0.

--
-SnoopJeDi

On 2/28/2005 7:06 AM Servo brightened our day with:

> I'm seriously thinking of picking up an LCD monitor (a 19" or 22"
> Samsung). Would any of you care to wiegh in on your experience with
> LCDs? How do games like DOOM and UT look and work with them? I've read
> in the past that there's a noticable lag with some models. Any input
> would be helpful.

The only thing I notice is a little funkiness when Doom 3 gets "really"
dark (I know it's dark all the time but some places are darker than
others). It's hard to describe, but you sort of start seeing the LCD
screen rather than what's rendered.
This can be cured for me usually by just sitting up straight so that
you're sitting more correctly in the viewable area arc of the monitor, I
have a tendency to slump down in my chair when playing games, my LCD
screen has got me to improve my posture.

I have a Sony 17" DVI monitor, it's great except for this one damn bad
pixel. Having 1 bad pixel is worse than having more, because if you
have more they'll actually replace the monitor.

It's a 16 ms monitor, all of the common complaints, e.g. ghosting, I've
had none of.

Get a DVI capable monitor whatever you do. A lot of the less expensive
LCD monitors are VGA only, which is silly. If you've got a halfway
decent and recent video card you've got a DVI out on it.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

ME

In my experience the most important factor is to buy a monitor with a good
response time. Mine is a Samsung Xiod IM17SM with a 16ms response time, and
everything looks fine on it.

--

Martin

My address is spam trapped...
....please reply to the group - thanks.

"Servo" <SPAMMERS@getcancer.nuts> wrote in message
> I'm seriously thinking of picking up an LCD monitor (a 19" or 22"
> Samsung). Would any of you care to wiegh in on your experience with LCDs?
> How do games like DOOM and UT look and work with them? I've read in the
> past that there's a noticable lag with some models. Any input would be
> helpful.
> --
> Servo
> "There's no such thing as Mr. Hankey"
> tservo100 at
> ameritech dot net
> Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!

"Servo" <SPAMMERS@getcancer.nuts> wrote in message
> I'm seriously thinking of picking up an LCD monitor (a 19" or 22"
> Samsung). Would any of you care to wiegh in on your experience with
> LCDs? How do games like DOOM and UT look and work with them? I've read
> in the past that there's a noticable lag with some models. Any input
> would be helpful.

Lag??? Hm. I am using a 19" Envision LCD. It's *response* time is 26
ms total. Although using the DVI improves 'ghosting' quite a bit over
using the analog VGA, it doesn't eliminate it. It's still very useable
in games, though not perfect.
My 17" NEC LCD has a 16ms response time, analog VGA only, and no
noticeable ghosting at all in games or movies. But it's only 17".
McG.

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 2/28/2005 7:06 AM Servo brightened our day with:
>
>> I'm seriously thinking of picking up an LCD monitor (a 19" or 22"
>> Samsung). Would any of you care to wiegh in on your experience with
>> LCDs? How do games like DOOM and UT look and work with them? I've
>> read in the past that there's a noticable lag with some models. Any
>> input would be helpful.
>
> The only thing I notice is a little funkiness when Doom 3 gets
> "really" dark (I know it's dark all the time but some places are
> darker than others). It's hard to describe, but you sort of start
> seeing the LCD screen rather than what's rendered.
> This can be cured for me usually by just sitting up straight so that
> you're sitting more correctly in the viewable area arc of the
> monitor, I have a tendency to slump down in my chair when playing
> games, my LCD screen has got me to improve my posture.
>
> I have a Sony 17" DVI monitor, it's great except for this one damn bad
> pixel. Having 1 bad pixel is worse than having more, because if you
> have more they'll actually replace the monitor.
>
> It's a 16 ms monitor, all of the common complaints, e.g. ghosting,
> I've had none of.
>
> Get a DVI capable monitor whatever you do. A lot of the less
> expensive LCD monitors are VGA only, which is silly. If you've got a
> halfway decent and recent video card you've got a DVI out on it.

1 dead pixel. I sure hope it's out near an edge somewhere Steve.
That's gotta be irritating. I guess I've really been very fortunate
man. I managed to buy three LCD monitors with no dead pixels before I
even heard of "dead pixel"! Yeah, i bought em, got em home, set em up
and bang, great image and auto adjust etc. Beautiful. I heard about
"dead pixel" problems about the time I did buy this third one, the
Envision. It's not the best for games, or movies, but it isn't *bad*.
If there's fast movement with high contrasting edges/lines, then you see
the ghosting pretty well. That's 26ms total response time, vs 16
total.
For Doom3 and HL2, I didn't really notice it.
McG.

I don't have that kind of luck. I have never seen a "perfect" lcd. Every
single one I have looked at I have found a dead pixel or stuck pixel or
bright pixel or something along those lines. My secondary monitor on this
computer is a 15" lcd with one bright red pixel in the upper right corner,
1/4" from the top and 1" from the right.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

On 3/1/2005 7:26 AM Margolis brightened our day with:

>I don't have that kind of luck. I have never seen a "perfect" lcd. Every
>single one I have looked at I have found a dead pixel or stuck pixel or
>bright pixel or something along those lines. My secondary monitor on this
>computer is a 15" lcd with one bright red pixel in the upper right corner,
>1/4" from the top and 1" from the right.

The worst thing about dead pixels is you can ignore them probably 90% of
the time, but once you become consciously aware of it it just burns a
hole right through your forehead. Actually a dead pixel would be more
preferable than what I have which is a stuck red pixel.
Mine's right between the Subject field and the text area of this Compose
window I'm typing in right now.
Dead or stuck pixels at least aren't much of a bother when gaming, it's
pretty hard to notice them when all that stuff is happening, but when
you're reading a web page that's text on a white background, it's harder
to ignore.
The other thing is, the monitor didn't show up from NewEgg with the bad
pixel, when I got it I ran some tests. It wasn't until about a week
later that the pixel went red and stayed red.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> I don't have that kind of luck. I have never seen a "perfect" lcd.
> Every single one I have looked at I have found a dead pixel or stuck
> pixel or bright pixel or something along those lines. My secondary
> monitor on this computer is a 15" lcd with one bright red pixel in
> the upper right corner, 1/4" from the top and 1" from the right.

That would tick me off. If it had one right IN the corner, then a fine
point magic marker fixes it somewhat. Normally, I seem to be the
luckless one. Bought two bad Ti4600's when they first came out. Went
to ATI for a bit. Back with Nvidia for a bit now.
Funny, you don't see LCD's on display in the stores with dead pixels.
With all the problems I've been hearing on people getting new LCD's with
bad pixels, I think I'll be looking at the thing work IN the store
before I pay for it. Cause they have a rule, x number of bad ones to
return it. As far as I'm concerned, one is too many.
McG.

On 3/1/2005 5:27 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
>

>>I don't have that kind of luck. I have never seen a "perfect" lcd.
>>Every single one I have looked at I have found a dead pixel or stuck
>>pixel or bright pixel or something along those lines. My secondary
>>monitor on this computer is a 15" lcd with one bright red pixel in
>>the upper right corner, 1/4" from the top and 1" from the right.
>>

>That would tick me off. If it had one right IN the corner, then a fine
>point magic marker fixes it somewhat. Normally, I seem to be the
>luckless one. Bought two bad Ti4600's when they first came out. Went
>to ATI for a bit. Back with Nvidia for a bit now.
>Funny, you don't see LCD's on display in the stores with dead pixels.
>With all the problems I've been hearing on people getting new LCD's with
>bad pixels, I think I'll be looking at the thing work IN the store
>before I pay for it. Cause they have a rule, x number of bad ones to
>return it. As far as I'm concerned, one is too many.
>McG.

If you could return an LCD monitor that had one bad pixel and get it
replaced, LCD monitors would cost twice as much as they do.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 3/1/2005 5:27 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>> "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
>>

>>> I don't have that kind of luck. I have never seen a "perfect" lcd.
>>> Every single one I have looked at I have found a dead pixel or stuck
>>> pixel or bright pixel or something along those lines. My secondary
>>> monitor on this computer is a 15" lcd with one bright red pixel in
>>> the upper right corner, 1/4" from the top and 1" from the right.
>>>

>> That would tick me off. If it had one right IN the corner, then a
>> fine point magic marker fixes it somewhat. Normally, I seem to be
>> the luckless one. Bought two bad Ti4600's when they first came out.
>> Went to ATI for a bit. Back with Nvidia for a bit now.
>> Funny, you don't see LCD's on display in the stores with dead pixels.
>> With all the problems I've been hearing on people getting new LCD's
>> with bad pixels, I think I'll be looking at the thing work IN the
>> store before I pay for it. Cause they have a rule, x number of bad
>> ones to return it. As far as I'm concerned, one is too many.
>> McG.
>>

> If you could return an LCD monitor that had one bad pixel and get it
> replaced, LCD monitors would cost twice as much as they do.

Yep. Probably why the prices are going down now. People are accepting
bad pixels. Mine didn't come so cheap. None of the three were less
than $450. I will definitely be looking at whatever one I buy right in
the store. Unless they make me pay for it before opening the box.

McGrandpa wrote:

Press gently with you nail on 'dead' pixel.

I've fixed it several times that way!

Other solution, just a little drop of black ink if nail will not fix it
and pixel is bright red.

:)