Doom 3 loading options and pda question

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the options
menu and PDA screens?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

if you think it loads slow on an xbox, try a pc. Takes forever to load on my
pc rig (3 gig system with a 1 gig of ram)



--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:NPydnQS_B-kF0fvfRVn-1Q@suscom.com...
> Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
> options
> menu and PDA screens?
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Mickey Johnson" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
news:116cqj4tg39k1d0@news.supernews.com...
> if you think it loads slow on an xbox, try a pc. Takes forever to load on
my
> pc rig (3 gig system with a 1 gig of ram)


But does it lag between options, pda and save screens?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

it does take 5-10 sec to do a quicksave and a few seconds to bring up the
pda



--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gKmdnT4Dxa8Y7_vfRVn-iA@suscom.com...
>
> "Mickey Johnson" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
> news:116cqj4tg39k1d0@news.supernews.com...
>> if you think it loads slow on an xbox, try a pc. Takes forever to load on
> my
>> pc rig (3 gig system with a 1 gig of ram)
>
>
> But does it lag between options, pda and save screens?
>
>
 

theone

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
584
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Boody Bandit wrote:
> Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the options
> menu and PDA screens?
>
>
I haven't noticed any noticeable lag, but than I'm running it off the HD.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
news:18t9e.209$iB1.170@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> Boody Bandit wrote:
> > Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
options
> > menu and PDA screens?
> >
> >
> I haven't noticed any noticeable lag, but than I'm running it off the HD.

How?
Is your XBox modded?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Mickey Johnson" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
news:116d63emno5vaa6@news.supernews.com...
> it does take 5-10 sec to do a quicksave and a few seconds to bring up the
> pda


Sounds more like poor programming to me.
 

theone

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
584
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> news:18t9e.209$iB1.170@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>Boody Bandit wrote:
>>
>>>Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
>
> options
>
>>>menu and PDA screens?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>I haven't noticed any noticeable lag, but than I'm running it off the HD.
>
>
> How?
> Is your XBox modded?
>
>
Yes, I run my *purchased* games off the HD. And no discernable slowdown
on either the option menu or PDA. What bugs me about this game is that
irritating demo that plays before you can get to the main title screen.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
news:q3u9e.240$iB1.141@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> Boody Bandit wrote:
> > "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> > news:18t9e.209$iB1.170@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> >
> >>Boody Bandit wrote:
> >>
> >>>Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
> >
> > options
> >
> >>>menu and PDA screens?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>I haven't noticed any noticeable lag, but than I'm running it off the
HD.
> >
> >
> > How?
> > Is your XBox modded?
> >
> >
> Yes, I run my *purchased* games off the HD. And no discernable slowdown
> on either the option menu or PDA. What bugs me about this game is that
> irritating demo that plays before you can get to the main title screen.

I have to look into getting one of my XBox systems modded.
I like this game but I can't stand the loads between options, pda and saves.
It works my last nerve and takes away from the enjoyment of the game.
 

theone

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
584
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> news:q3u9e.240$iB1.141@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>Boody Bandit wrote:
>>
>>>"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>>>news:18t9e.209$iB1.170@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Boody Bandit wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
>>>
>>>options
>>>
>>>
>>>>>menu and PDA screens?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>I haven't noticed any noticeable lag, but than I'm running it off the
>
> HD.
>
>>>
>>>How?
>>>Is your XBox modded?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Yes, I run my *purchased* games off the HD. And no discernable slowdown
>>on either the option menu or PDA. What bugs me about this game is that
>>irritating demo that plays before you can get to the main title screen.
>
>
> I have to look into getting one of my XBox systems modded.
> I like this game but I can't stand the loads between options, pda and saves.
> It works my last nerve and takes away from the enjoyment of the game.
>
>
Well, I can tell you from my experience, that you won't regret doing it.
A mod chip and the hard drive that I put into it were probably the best
purchases I've ever made. Likewise, you won't have to deal with that
dvd-rom anymore, less playing online and ripping media.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

theOne wrote:
> Boody Bandit wrote:
>
>> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>> news:18t9e.209$iB1.170@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>>> Boody Bandit wrote:
>>>
>>>> Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
>>
>>
>> options
>>
>>>> menu and PDA screens?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> I haven't noticed any noticeable lag, but than I'm running it off the
>>> HD.
>>
>>
>>
>> How?
>> Is your XBox modded?
>>
>>
> Yes, I run my *purchased* games off the HD. And no discernable slowdown
> on either the option menu or PDA. What bugs me about this game is that
> irritating demo that plays before you can get to the main title screen.

Something odd I've noticed about that:

Sometimes it lets you skip through it with the start button, but
sometimes it warns you that its still loading. What's up with that?
 

frode

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
40
0
18,530
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Boody Bandit wrote:
>> it does take 5-10 sec to do a quicksave and a few seconds to bring up
>> the pda
>Sounds more like poor programming to me.

Sounds more like faulty hardware or a messed up win install to me. I have a
supposedly weaker system than what he originally listed (mine's P4 2.6 with
1GB ram, though obviously there are more parameters than that), and I
experience none of the performance problem he's complaining about.
Quicksave is virtually instantaneous, load times are comfortable, pda comes
up without as much as a stutter.


- --
Frode

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.1

iQA/AwUBQmaaY+XlGBWTt1afEQKrywCeKP45FD3wbLX1PQ3Bm2W2MiiGUFMAoIIS
EcZZtb4Dq/qAU6rqA9P4pk/V
=Oofy
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
news:nc6d61h2pm0tutl1t9k5ieeg08f3nkno56@4ax.com...
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Boody Bandit wrote:
>>> it does take 5-10 sec to do a quicksave and a few seconds to bring up
>>> the pda
>>Sounds more like poor programming to me.
>
> Sounds more like faulty hardware or a messed up win install to me. I have
> a
> supposedly weaker system than what he originally listed (mine's P4 2.6
> with
> 1GB ram, though obviously there are more parameters than that), and I
> experience none of the performance problem he's complaining about.
> Quicksave is virtually instantaneous, load times are comfortable, pda
> comes
> up without as much as a stutter.
>
>

Same here. Although I am using a 3GHz system, 1GB RAM and a 9800 Pro. Quick
saves are practically instant and there's no delay whatsoever in viewing PDA
material or entering or exiting the PDA screen.

Oh, and for the original poster. My Xbox also seems sluggish with the PDA.
Especially when exiting it. There's quite a hefty load from HDD. I've had no
trouble with the quick save system though. My Xbox is un-modded.
 

theone

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
584
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

The Berzerker wrote:
> "Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> news:nc6d61h2pm0tutl1t9k5ieeg08f3nkno56@4ax.com...
>
>>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>Hash: SHA1
>>
>>Boody Bandit wrote:
>>
>>>>it does take 5-10 sec to do a quicksave and a few seconds to bring up
>>>>the pda
>>>
>>>Sounds more like poor programming to me.
>>
>>Sounds more like faulty hardware or a messed up win install to me. I have
>>a
>>supposedly weaker system than what he originally listed (mine's P4 2.6
>>with
>>1GB ram, though obviously there are more parameters than that), and I
>>experience none of the performance problem he's complaining about.
>>Quicksave is virtually instantaneous, load times are comfortable, pda
>>comes
>>up without as much as a stutter.
>>
>>
>
>
> Same here. Although I am using a 3GHz system, 1GB RAM and a 9800 Pro. Quick
> saves are practically instant and there's no delay whatsoever in viewing PDA
> material or entering or exiting the PDA screen.
>
> Oh, and for the original poster. My Xbox also seems sluggish with the PDA.
> Especially when exiting it. There's quite a hefty load from HDD. I've had no
> trouble with the quick save system though. My Xbox is un-modded.
>
>
hmmm...sounds like just a problem with access speeds (xbox). i guess
the only option would be to deal with it or mod. I can tell you Boody
that XBMC would also compliment that Home Theatre of yours real nice,
but might be a bit redundant on some features as well, because of your
MCE. Than again, you won't be dealing with any Digital Rights Management
:). In its defense, I've heard MCE 2005 is way better than '04 though.
I've got a licensed copy laying around until when and if I build a HTPC,
likely when I buy the fat LCD :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Boody Bandit wrote:
> Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
options
> menu and PDA screens?

It's not just you and I don't think it's your system since I have a
brand new DVD drive in mine and I still experience a slight delay/load
when I switch back and forth from my PDA.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

HAIR CHEMICALS wrote:
> theOne wrote:
>
> >>> Yes, I run my *purchased* games off the HD. And no discernable
> >>> slowdown on either the option menu or PDA. What bugs me about
this
> >>> game is that irritating demo that plays before you can get to the
> >>> main title screen.
> >>
> >> Just hit the green A button to skip it...
> >>
> > doesn't work
>
> Hmm, works for me, from a cold boot. (Shrugs).

I noticed this once myself and I think you have to hit the Start or 'A'
button from the controller in port 1 only.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
news:1114083460.170060.116840@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
> Boody Bandit wrote:
> > Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
> options
> > menu and PDA screens?
>
> It's not just you and I don't think it's your system since I have a
> brand new DVD drive in mine and I still experience a slight delay/load
> when I switch back and forth from my PDA.

I guess I am just asking to much of the XBox hardware.
All things considered ID did a great job porting this over to the XBox.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
news:1114085302.554868.191370@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>
> HAIR CHEMICALS wrote:
> > theOne wrote:
> >
> > >>> Yes, I run my *purchased* games off the HD. And no discernable
> > >>> slowdown on either the option menu or PDA. What bugs me about
> this
> > >>> game is that irritating demo that plays before you can get to the
> > >>> main title screen.
> > >>
> > >> Just hit the green A button to skip it...
> > >>
> > > doesn't work
> >
> > Hmm, works for me, from a cold boot. (Shrugs).
>
> I noticed this once myself and I think you have to hit the Start or 'A'
> button from the controller in port 1 only.
>

Actually I've noticed that on other games this happens too, what's going on
is if you don't touch your controller buttons just prior to loading the game
as to initialize them it locks them out until the demo is past, you just
have to quickly press a button or two before the game demo starts, then it
will work when you press A or start to abort after.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
news:A6z9e.2031$L03.1048@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> The Berzerker wrote:
> > "Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> > news:nc6d61h2pm0tutl1t9k5ieeg08f3nkno56@4ax.com...
> >
> >>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> >>Hash: SHA1
> >>
> >>Boody Bandit wrote:
> >>
> >>>>it does take 5-10 sec to do a quicksave and a few seconds to bring up
> >>>>the pda
> >>>
> >>>Sounds more like poor programming to me.
> >>
> >>Sounds more like faulty hardware or a messed up win install to me. I
have
> >>a
> >>supposedly weaker system than what he originally listed (mine's P4 2.6
> >>with
> >>1GB ram, though obviously there are more parameters than that), and I
> >>experience none of the performance problem he's complaining about.
> >>Quicksave is virtually instantaneous, load times are comfortable, pda
> >>comes
> >>up without as much as a stutter.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > Same here. Although I am using a 3GHz system, 1GB RAM and a 9800 Pro.
Quick
> > saves are practically instant and there's no delay whatsoever in viewing
PDA
> > material or entering or exiting the PDA screen.
> >
> > Oh, and for the original poster. My Xbox also seems sluggish with the
PDA.
> > Especially when exiting it. There's quite a hefty load from HDD. I've
had no
> > trouble with the quick save system though. My Xbox is un-modded.
> >
> >
> hmmm...sounds like just a problem with access speeds (xbox). i guess
> the only option would be to deal with it or mod. I can tell you Boody
> that XBMC would also compliment that Home Theatre of yours real nice,
> but might be a bit redundant on some features as well, because of your
> MCE. Than again, you won't be dealing with any Digital Rights Management
> :). In its defense, I've heard MCE 2005 is way better than '04 though.
> I've got a licensed copy laying around until when and if I build a HTPC,
> likely when I buy the fat LCD :)

Dont'cha mean phat LCD? ;0)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

theOne wrote:

> Yes, I run my *purchased* games off the HD. And no discernable
> slowdown on either the option menu or PDA. What bugs me about this
> game is that irritating demo that plays before you can get to the
> main title screen.

Just hit the green A button to skip it...
 

theone

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
584
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

HAIR CHEMICALS wrote:
> theOne wrote:
>
>
>>Yes, I run my *purchased* games off the HD. And no discernable
>>slowdown on either the option menu or PDA. What bugs me about this
>>game is that irritating demo that plays before you can get to the
>>main title screen.
>
>
> Just hit the green A button to skip it...
>
>
doesn't work. unless of course you haven't rebooted; the cached
information is lost when rebooted thus requiring another loooonnngg hard
drive reload. dont't think it happens all the time though.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Boody Bandit wrote:

> Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
> options menu and PDA screens?

How can an Xbox show its age? The games for it are designed for a
specific hardware setup, and there's no difference between Xboxes.
Well, apparently some DVD drives are different, but that wouldn't
make much difference in load times as they're same-speed drives.

Anyway, to answer your question: define "slow". To bring up the
PDA on my Xbox takes about 3-5 seconds. The options menu is
about the same. No biggie.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Boody Bandit wrote:

>> Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load
>> very slow from the options menu and PDA screens?

HAIR CHEMICALS wrote:

> How can an Xbox show its age? The games for it are
> designed for a specific hardware setup, and there's
> no difference between Xboxes. Well, apparently
> some DVD drives are different, but that wouldn't
> make much difference in load times as they're
> same-speed drives.

The architecture is showing it's age -- the 733 MHz Celeron, and the
onboard video (in all Xboxes) can't match the performance of newer
gaming PCs. So, games like Half-life 2 look great on contemporary PCs,
but aren't being ported to the Xbox. Doom 3, although it looks very
good on the Xbox, looks a lot better on the PC.

> Anyway, to answer your question: define "slow". To
> bring up the PDA on my Xbox takes about 3-5 seconds.
> The options menu is about the same. No biggie.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Half-life 2 is coming to xbox this summer. Supposed to look good also.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"HAIR CHEMICALS" <010@010.com> wrote in message
news:4267043f$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Boody Bandit wrote:
>
> > Is my system showing it's age or does Doom 3 load very slow from the
> > options menu and PDA screens?
>
> How can an Xbox show its age?

I am playing on a launch system and I have received a couple disk read
errors on said unit.
I was wondering if it's just my system that is having problems reading from
the disk when I access the options and pda menus during gameplay.


> The games for it are designed for a
> specific hardware setup, and there's no difference between Xboxes.
> Well, apparently some DVD drives are different, but that wouldn't
> make much difference in load times as they're same-speed drives.
>
> Anyway, to answer your question: define "slow". To bring up the
> PDA on my Xbox takes about 3-5 seconds. The options menu is
> about the same. No biggie.

For me it is.
It takes away from the flow of the game.
I guess I am just overly picky. I am looking into purchasing a new system
and having it modded just to get rid of, or improve upon, this problem.
 

TRENDING THREADS