'Doom' Arrives May 13, Collector's Edition Includes 12-Inch Revenant Statue

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
It looks like a sort of like a demonized Far Cry....which is AWESOME! This character is a complete badass, ripping teeth out, punching eyeballs, stepping on heads...I can't wait.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Wonder if it'll play at all on a video card with 512MB VRAM. It was fun with Doom3, ultra uncompressed graphics settings required only 512MB.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Wonder if it'll play at all on a video card with 512MB VRAM. It was fun with Doom3, ultra uncompressed graphics settings required only 512MB.

What made the original DOOM great? Demons, shotguns, but also fast pace corridor gibbing. Carmack did mention the first two. If Id did the remake taking this to heart (and it looks like they did), then this new DOOM won't be a deal changer - but it'll be DAMN FUN.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Considering that was 12 years ago, I'm going to guess that performance requirements have inflated at least slightly since then.

I remember getting my 1st sound card and getting the 1st version of Doom. I whipped out the pump shot gun and fired it off and scared the crap out of everyone in my house including the pets, lol. That was back before motherboards came with audio.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
What makes me worry about this is they went from closed Alpha to release in just a few months? Shoudln't beta have lasted a few MORE months?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i figured i would just repost what i wrote somehwere else here

gameplay looks like crap compared to doom 1 and 2 with brutal doom mod, and i was going to say wolfenstein ran like hell for what it looked like, so what hope is here but then i came across this.

Tiago Sousa, head R&D graphics engineer at Crytek, was leaving to join the Doom and idTech 6 engine team.
and
id Tech 6 is an upcoming OpenGL/Vulkan based game engine

more or less, if it runs on vulkan day one, this is a must by just for the benchmark purposes... with a fairly mediocre try hard but still fail doom attached to it.?
i then got called an idiot. and responded with this
how so? the game looks like it has every crappy fps mechanic outside of quick time events in the thing, and even quick time events may be in the game just without button prompts. this looks like a crappy doom game, but a VERY interesting benchmark suite on an engine that may be licensed out to many people, at the very least the first game on vulcan.

again, id rather just play brutal doom 1 and 2 opposed to this game... and really that's how they make a plasma gun?

here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8AHt5dgpw

if doom 2016 (look another reason to not like the game, its name) has good level design it will make up for a lot, but god knows no one knows how to make a proper fps level anymore, at least a doom style fps level. ?

i think i took out all my swearing in this, i honestly just cant see what other people do in this game, i look at this and i look at original doom and they feel like different games, and not in a good way.
good level design would go a long way, but i just don't trust them at all, not to mention modding looks like its only a canned map editor.

that's the sad part its not going to be a real full disk copy like iD gave when they sold out to Bethesda they sold out all the way and steam is fully involved no Linux client just another load of crap that now goes all against what iD stood for with there software .. then recall how well doom 3 bfg went ? [bad] true iD guys looked at that and said no way no sale

they say ''Developed by id software '' but has not iD been dead and gone with carmack in to rocket tech and oculus ?? must be iD only in name not any true old iD personal ... don't be fooled

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(2016_video_game)

12-inch statue of the Revenant monster. is to mount ontop of your monitor to remind you how you got ripped off

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

If it was the Archvile, I'd buy it :) They probably didn't even add it into this game

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Doom has always been about fast fast fast action/fragging with very little time to stare at wall textures or modeling. and since about the quakeII era has been mostly about showing off the game engine first, and selling a game second. I really respect Carmack however his latest move lends it's own share of confusion; leaving a company that's synonymous with his name since...1992? so, I'm interested in experiencing the first game from id that's not right from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.