[SOLVED] Doom Eternal 'capped' at 6 FPS on new laptop

Nov 5, 2020
I recently bought a new laptop, and as I was reinstalling all of my games on it, I ran into an issue with Doom Eternal; mainly that it appears to be capped at 6 FPS. I've tried changing options in both the nVidia Control Panel, GeForce Experience, and Windows 10's own 'default graphics setting' display menu, I've tried turning all of the graphics options to their lowest settings, I've tried running it in windowed and borderless modes, I've tried shutting down numerous background processes, all to absolutely no avail. When I turn on the technical feedback in-game, it appears that the GPU is barely doing any work, while the CPU is consistently in the red; although I don't know much about hardware, this seems like maybe my laptop is trying to run the game using its built-in chipset INSTEAD of the nVidia graphics card? Going off that assumption, I've tried what I can to force the game to run off of the graphics card instead of the chipset, but I've had no luck - the game just seems to ignore every 'use the high-performance card as the default' setting I've put in. I'm really at my wit's end here, has anyone else run into this problem, or is able to further advise?

I'd be less distressed if this was my first experience with it, but my laptop from 2016 with a 970M GTX card can run it at medium-high settings just fine, so this new laptop should blow it out of the water.

V2O6DvF.jpg

Solution
What laptop model is it?

Try going to Geforce.com/drivers and input search criteria, OS & Geforce mobile model etc. Download latest driver and run the setup executable as administrator. To run as administrator, right click the executable and 'run as administrator' be in the list. Do a custom install and check the clean option.

I'm not sure if laptop manufacturers install complete Geforce package or just use Microsoft updates to install generic drivers.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What laptop model is it?

Try going to Geforce.com/drivers and input search criteria, OS & Geforce mobile model etc. Download latest driver and run the setup executable as administrator. To run as administrator, right click the executable and 'run as administrator' be in the list. Do a custom install and check the clean option.

I'm not sure if laptop manufacturers install complete Geforce package or just use Microsoft updates to install generic drivers.

Solution