Question Doom Eternal really weird performance issues

Sep 13, 2020
So I've been playing Doom Eternal in the past few days, and I am having really weird performance issues with it. The game usually runs at 40-50 fps with all the graphics settings on low, I even configured the Nvidia control panel, and I thought that was enough. The game was playable. But once I got to the second to last level, the game started to perform really poorly, I'm talking 15-20 fps. And it's really weird because from time to time, it would suddenly bump back up to 40-50 for a minute or two before going back down. The low framerate persisted to the last level, and I gave up on completing it halfway because it was just unplayable.

Here are my specs:

System: Windows 10 (64 bit)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU 2.50 GHz
Memory: 16GB
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050

By the way, I'm on a laptop, and I expect less performance on it than on a PC, but shouldn't it be performing better than this? I looked up benchmarks online, and it seems like my card is underperforming on most games that I play. I'll provide any information that is needed, I really want this fixed, I really want to play more of this game because it's super fun. Cheers!

Sep 13, 2020
Try set Windows & Nvidia power plans to maximum performance and reboot. Try Doom afterwards.
I did that, but it didn't change anything. I actually had them both already on maximum performance, so I made a new power plan for Windows and enabled the setting globally on the Nvidia Control Panel, but it didn't work, even after restarting.

Sep 13, 2020
Cpu temps should be low 80s and frequency at maximum turbo at those temps without decreasing to throttle speeds to cool itself. Need to monitor live cpu speed when performance drops to see where it's at.
Alright. Neither the temperature nor the frequency seem to change while the fps is down. Oh, I'd also like to mention that I was looking in the wrong place, the average temperature is actually 84° C.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Long as cpu speed isn't fluctuating, there shouldn't be dramatic performance drops.

Other things to look at is fullscreen optimisation option under compatibility for the game's app and don't use Geforce Experience to optimise.

Sep 13, 2020
Long as cpu speed isn't fluctuating, there shouldn't be dramatic performance drops.

Other things to look at is fullscreen optimisation option under compatibility for the game's app and don't use Geforce Experience to optimise.
I tried those solutions, and at first, the game seemed to be running better, but it took just a minute or two for the framerate to go back down to 20fps.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
So I've been playing Doom Eternal in the past few days, and I am having really weird performance issues with it. The game usually runs at 40-50 fps with all the graphics settings on low, I even configured the Nvidia control panel, and I thought that was enough. The game was playable. But once I got to the second to last level, the game started to perform really poorly, I'm talking 15-20 fps. And it's really weird because from time to time, it would suddenly bump back up to 40-50 for a minute or two before going back down. The low framerate persisted to the last level, and I gave up on completing it halfway because it was just unplayable.

Here are my specs:

System: Windows 10 (64 bit)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU 2.50 GHz
Memory: 16GB
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050

By the way, I'm on a laptop, and I expect less performance on it than on a PC, but shouldn't it be performing better than this? I looked up benchmarks online, and it seems like my card is underperforming on most games that I play. I'll provide any information that is needed, I really want this fixed, I really want to play more of this game because it's super fun. Cheers!
Hello, are you using Vulkan or DX12?