Doom vulkan freezes randomly during gameplay

G

so my rig is a gtx 960 amd fx 8350 and on doom vulkan it randomly freezes during gameplay themperatures look good so that can not be it why is it freezes i would prefer to use vulkan because low framrate on open gl

Solution
Well the number one reason it'll lock on you is erratic overclock voltages on your cpu or gpu since vulkan tends to push your rig harder than you'd think, especially if vsync is disabled...but you didn't mention if you are or not. (I have a lotttt of experience so far with my 8350 and r7 370 locking up in doom :p.)

bigjoe980

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2016
Well the number one reason it'll lock on you is erratic overclock voltages on your cpu or gpu since vulkan tends to push your rig harder than you'd think, especially if vsync is disabled...but you didn't mention if you are or not. (I have a lotttt of experience so far with my 8350 and r7 370 locking up in doom :p.)

Solution
G

I do not think vsync is disabled I am doing a fresh install currtenly but ill check so I want that on if using vulkan and I know right :) glad im not alone seems to freeze whenever I am half way through a mission and if it is the case do u know how to stop the freezing? I am planning on getting a gtx 1070 around january so I do plan to upgrade and ill porbly go to open gl but for the most part I wanna play smoothly usually I play on medium settings

G

you said it pushs gpu and cpu harder is it to an extent where I should be concerned and vsync was on adaptive istead of on so I turned it on seems to be working better

bigjoe980

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2016
So not overclocked at all? Do you use AMD turbo ? doom likes to run on a steady cpu and turbo going up and down causes me issues...

(unfortunately I can't offer you any real advice on Nvidia cards. I've never had one yet. lol) obviously vsync won't do you much good if you aren't exceeding your monitor refresh rate since vulkan eliminates screen tearing on it's own. That up to 90fps in vulkan is pretty useless on my 60fps monitor!

Sorry I can't give you really helpful advice. 90% of freezes and crashes In Vulkan mode seem to come from turning around quickly or opening a door, which generally indicates an issue under sudden load (I.e voltage/clock problems.) soooo

Oh, I forgot to ask, is your card a 2gb or 4gb model?

bigjoe980

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2016
you could also try turning your performance metrics up on nightmare... try to watch for any erratic number jumps when it crashes (recording would help for that, not sure if you do that at all.) I dunno, may or may not give you an idea if a crash causes either your CPU or GPU to shoot way up in latency. when my cpu starts acting up it'll jump up around 245+ms.

G

well ever since I did the fresh install and put doom on vsync on it is been running really well hasnt frozen in a while my only complant would be launching it on steam takes a really long time I just wanna know if it is harming my computer temps are fine cpu and consitent 38d gpu at 67 how else could this game harm my cpu and gpu and how would I know should I be concerned

bigjoe980

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2016
Oh no, not at all if your temps are good and everything seems stable. even if it got too hot the included protection on stuff these days will keep you safe outside of stuffing too much voltage into your hardware... Which you clearly aren't since you haven't made a topic about stuff catching on fire or popping :p Good luck with doom, it's a fun ride.

By the way don't worry about the long ass load time from launching. It just does that *shrug*