[SOLVED] Doomed to be soundless?

May 7, 2020
Preface: I am new to this place, and I just kinda assumed this goes here because I'm sure I'll need to download some software to pull this off. If this is the wrong place, correct me please.

So I have a situation: My computer's sound card is broken and there is half of a jack broken off in my headphone port. Being a gamer, sound is important. I have been using this one piece of software that let's me project my PC audio to my phone, but it is laggy and often unreliable. I need something better. I was wondering if anyone knew of some way to project PC sound to my phone via bluetooth or USB or something like that. Either that or someone tell me a safe way to fish the broken jack out of my headphone port :)
Thanks,
KillerOfOld

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

so the jack is broken off in the port?
USB sound adapter is one option. simply replace the audio processor with a new one.

slightly risky - be aware super glue bonds skin instantly- wear gloves
I have used a drop of super glue on the end of a straightened paperclip/coat hanger/other stiff solid wire.
add a drop to the end of the wire, insert the wire carefully avoiding the sides, wait for the glue to dry, and remove the jack from the port

Reactions: KillerOfOld
May 7, 2020
Discrete pcie sound card is other option. This is desktop pc, right?

Another option - connecting a monitor with built in speakers to HDMI or DP output. This will pass sound to monitor.

This is a laptop PC. Getting a sound card just isn't an expense I can make at current, and to be honest, I probably just need a new computer. I don't even have a spare HDMI cable, they are all used for my game consoles.

#KillerOfOld have probably the best solution. However I drop in some information that may explain the sound issue:

The female 3.5mm stereo jack plug most often have a little mechanical switch inside. This switch tell the sound card (I cannot tell if handled by sw or hw) where to direct the audio (internal speakers or 3.5mm plug / headset). In this case audio is probably locked to the stereo jack - until you go full metal and desoldering the plug and remove it from mainboard.