[DoomRL] Giving up on 0.9.7

Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.

I did see "The Wall". I'm assuming I'm supposed to use the rocket
launcher to get past the wall? Unfortunately, I hadn't seen a rocket
launcher before "The Wall" in either game. I did even waste a phase
device hoping to get to the other side.

Other than those two problems, quite like the new version. But I hate
game-killer bugs (the main reason I gave up on ADOM).

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:06:50 -0800, R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
>
>I did see "The Wall". I'm assuming I'm supposed to use the rocket
>launcher to get past the wall? Unfortunately, I hadn't seen a rocket
>launcher before "The Wall" in either game. I did even waste a phase
>device hoping to get to the other side.

Strange... In my experience RLs appeared quite early, sometimes even
before Chained Court! I don't think this is the problem since you can
quit the level right away. In 0.9.6 I never found RL in the entire game,
now that's a bad luck!

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || KoL:Grue3 NationStates:Holypunkeye |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

>On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:06:50 -0800, R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com>
>tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
>>Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
>>
>>I did see "The Wall". I'm assuming I'm supposed to use the rocket
>>launcher to get past the wall? Unfortunately, I hadn't seen a rocket
>>launcher before "The Wall" in either game. I did even waste a phase
>>device hoping to get to the other side.

I agree with you here. In my experience, I've never found a rocket
launcher before 'The Wall'. I did get lucky and phase behind it once,
though. Promptly killed by Hell Barons.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Lars Kecke wrote:
> R. Dan Henry wrote:
> > Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
> >
> > I did see "The Wall". I'm assuming I'm supposed to use the rocket
> > launcher to get past the wall? Unfortunately, I hadn't seen a
rocket
> > launcher before "The Wall" in either game. I did even waste a phase
> > device hoping to get to the other side.
>
> In my games I had a rocket launcher 3 out of 5 times I faced the
wall, a
> phase device on the fourth try and neither on the fifth. Btw. why
don't
> shotguns open doors anymore? I blew up the halls of carnage prize two

> times out of four.
>
> > Other than those two problems, quite like the new version. But I
hate
> > game-killer bugs (the main reason I gave up on ADOM).
>
> It's not much of a game-killer IMHO; you can simply go back and only
> miss the XP and the prize weapon.

I think he's talking about two different problems here: (a) he didn't
have a rocket launcher at the Wall, and (b) he experienced two crashes
at other times.

BTW, one problem I found - you don't seem to be able to save on red
stairs, only grey stairs.

A.

"R. Dan Henry" <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote in message
> Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
>
> I did see "The Wall". I'm assuming I'm supposed to use the rocket
> launcher to get past the wall? Unfortunately, I hadn't seen a rocket
> launcher before "The Wall" in either game. I did even waste a phase
> device hoping to get to the other side.
>
> Other than those two problems, quite like the new version. But I hate
> game-killer bugs (the main reason I gave up on ADOM).

On that note, how hard is it for beta versions of DRL to keep some kind of
backup auto-saves during runtime which will allow a player to keep going in
the face of crashes such as the above?

It's a pretty important function for debugging, anyway.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
>
> I did see "The Wall". I'm assuming I'm supposed to use the rocket
> launcher to get past the wall? Unfortunately, I hadn't seen a rocket
> launcher before "The Wall" in either game. I did even waste a phase
> device hoping to get to the other side.

In my games I had a rocket launcher 3 out of 5 times I faced the wall, a
phase device on the fourth try and neither on the fifth. Btw. why don't
shotguns open doors anymore? I blew up the halls of carnage prize two
times out of four.

> Other than those two problems, quite like the new version. But I hate
> game-killer bugs (the main reason I gave up on ADOM).

It's not much of a game-killer IMHO; you can simply go back and only
miss the XP and the prize weapon.

Lars, still dying on level 15.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:32:55 +0100, Lars Kecke
<kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

>R. Dan Henry wrote:
>> Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
>>
>> I did see "The Wall". I'm assuming I'm supposed to use the rocket
>> launcher to get past the wall? Unfortunately, I hadn't seen a rocket
>> launcher before "The Wall" in either game. I did even waste a phase
>> device hoping to get to the other side.
>
>In my games I had a rocket launcher 3 out of 5 times I faced the wall, a
>phase device on the fourth try and neither on the fifth. Btw. why don't
>shotguns open doors anymore? I blew up the halls of carnage prize two
>times out of four.
>
>> Other than those two problems, quite like the new version. But I hate
>> game-killer bugs (the main reason I gave up on ADOM).
>
>It's not much of a game-killer IMHO; you can simply go back and only
>miss the XP and the prize weapon.

Not the Wall, the crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
Right up at the top of my post.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:32:55 +0100, Lars Kecke
> <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

>>It's not much of a game-killer IMHO; you can simply go back and only
>>miss the XP and the prize weapon.
>
> Not the Wall, the crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
> Right up at the top of my post.

Oops \usepackage{read-before-write}. Were those crashes connected with
chain-reaction barrel explosions? Or being killed by lava/acid? I
normally just get segfaults without even an entry to the highscore list
(mostly connected with pulling levers). Thanks to the keymapping I can
at least evade the esc-direction crashes.

Lars

I've had similar crashes, nearly every time I've played so far. Haven't
gotten past 17, I think, without some form of crash, usually connected
to exploding barrel chains. I've assumed that it had something to do
with the explosion attempting to push my character into a time that's
already occupied by a wall or something.

G.
--
Keep your blood clean, your body lean, and your mind sharp.
- Henry Rollins

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:04:32 +0100, Lars Kecke
<kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

>R. Dan Henry wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:32:55 +0100, Lars Kecke
>> <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
>
>>>It's not much of a game-killer IMHO; you can simply go back and only
>>>miss the XP and the prize weapon.
>>
>> Not the Wall, the crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
>> Right up at the top of my post.
>
>Oops \usepackage{read-before-write}. Were those crashes connected with
>chain-reaction barrel explosions?

I don't think so, no. One might have been (don't recall), the other
surely wasn't.

>Or being killed by lava/acid?

No.

>normally just get segfaults without even an entry to the highscore list
>(mostly connected with pulling levers). Thanks to the keymapping I can
>at least evade the esc-direction crashes.

No obvious cause of either crash, or I'd have mentioned it. No idea
why they happened.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
>
> Other than those two problems, quite like the new version. But I hate
> game-killer bugs (the main reason I gave up on ADOM).

I'm sorry to hear that :-(. I will now work hard to fix those AV's. Would
crash-recovering a save-file help here? I think it could be implemented
quite trivialy?
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:41:07 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
<kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

>R. Dan Henry wrote:
>> Two games. Two crashes that left me killed by something unknown.
>>
>> Other than those two problems, quite like the new version. But I hate
>> game-killer bugs (the main reason I gave up on ADOM).
>
>I'm sorry to hear that :-(. I will now work hard to fix those AV's. Would
>crash-recovering a save-file help here? I think it could be implemented
>quite trivialy?

That would be good. Or just eliminate all bugs.

I guess crash-recovery is more realistic as a goal.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com