First off, sweet game.
Second, an idea: what if rather than finding totally new upgraded forms
of weapons, you found upgrade "packages" that gave your already-carried
weapon the higher damage/faster reload/etc, so you can have a
fast-loading advanced rocket launcher, etc.

Third, my winning character:

DoomRL (v.0.9.7 (WIN)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Adam, level 7 soldier, defeated the Cyberdeamon
on level 20 of the Phobos base.
He survived 92592 turns and scored 34570 points.
He found the Phobos Arena.
He stormed the Chained Court.
He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
He fought on Hell's Arena.
He witnessed the City of Skulls.
He faced The Wall.

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 79/80 Experience 27499/7
ToHit +3 ToDmg Ranged +0 ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman (Level 3)
Reloader (Level 3)
Eagle Eye (Level 1)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor ] blue armor [1/2] (36%)
[ Weapon ] BFG 9000 (8d8) [36/100]
[c] [ Boots ] plasteel boots [8/8] (87%)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] chainsaw (4d6)
double shotgun (6d3)x2 [2/2]
[c] advanced rocket launcher (4d5) [0/1]
[d] chaingun (1d6)x5 [50/50]
[e] plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [0/40]
[f] extended combat shotgun (6d3) [4/8]
[g] 10mm ammo (x85)
[h] shotgun shell (x50)
shotgun shell (x22)
[j] power cell (x50)
[k] power cell (x50)
[l] thermonuclear bomb

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

45 former humans
40 former human sergeants
24 former human captains
31 imps
38 demons
78 lost souls
18 cacodemons
13 barons of hell
1 Cyberdemon
20 hell knights
9 arachnotrons
10 former human commanders

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 5 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
4 of those were killed.
And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide.

Just loaded the Cyberdemon full of BFG rounds. I couldn't even see him
when he died. I thought about using the thermonuke, just to see it go
off... *shrug* Oh well. Cyberdemon died before I could.

Atom(burp) wrote:
> First off, sweet game.

:)

> Second, an idea: what if rather than finding totally new upgraded
> forms of weapons, you found upgrade "packages" that gave your
> already-carried weapon the higher damage/faster reload/etc, so you
> can have a fast-loading advanced rocket launcher, etc.

That would need to have the system remodeled. Also I think it would reduce
the amount of various items that appear in the game :).

> Ironman (Level 3)
> Reloader (Level 3)
> Eagle Eye (Level 1)

Reloaded Ironman ;-)

> Just loaded the Cyberdemon full of BFG rounds. I couldn't even see him
> when he died. I thought about using the thermonuke, just to see it go
> off... *shrug* Oh well. Cyberdemon died before I could.

It's a bug with Cyber's AI -- check next version when it comes out :)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)