Doonesbury

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow... this was totally new to me. http://www.ipv6.org/

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
> "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message...
>

>>ipv6 will go a long way towards killing 'sharing', among other things.
>

> Wow... this was totally new to me. http://www.ipv6.org/

Sorta ironic that the link to the FAQ is broken. And we're
supposed to trust these guys with defining a new IP
protocol? :)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> Let's test this theory. Stand up and be counted if you've purchased
> music from a small artist about who you became aware as a result of a
> P2P download.
>
> Artist's name and web site, please.

Interesting that this post received no replies (at least none that I
ever saw).

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

"Bob Cain" <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

> [...] Do you know anyone in business who willingly pays more
> than they have to for anything?

Sure, me. I often choose a vendor on the basis of more than just price.
For me, quality of service, availability of support, flexibility in
customizing product offerings and delivery guarantees rank as high as
price in making my choice.

hev wrote:

> It is the culmination of the actions of the industry

You competently demonstrate the lack of personal responsibility that is
presently a disease in America. The situation is actually no deeper than
that, and technology has nothing to do with it. You cannot control
yourself and for that you seek to blame something other than yourself.
The word for that is "pathetic".

--
ha

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

> Interesting that this post received no replies (at least none that I
> ever saw).

Apparently the fame was so great that in and of itself it wiped out a
lot of its own staunchest fans' memories of who the fame attended. That
makes it really hard for the rest of us to find out who got so danged
famous. Maybe their names will show up in a newspaper or something else
that has persistent memory. Until then the stories of people getting
famous via the Internet are more famous than the people who supposedly
got famous.

--
ha

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> reddred wrote:
> > "Mike Rivers"...

> >> somehow I don't think the solution is quite so simple. They tried
> >> making CDs that wouldn't play in a computer drive but they caused
> >> enough other problems (as well as an outcry from purchasers who
> >> figured they had the right to play it in their computer if they wanted
> >> to) that I think the system has been dropped, and nothing has come
> >> along to replace it.

> > I think the long term solution would be to move to some disc format that
> > PC's don't easily play, but could be licensed to electronics manufacturers
> > for DVD players.

> Um, SACD anyone?

Hev gets a player, plays the music out analog, converts to MP3, and the
rest will be his story.

--
ha

In article <1gt22jf.l8ktaervfoo8N%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

> > Um, SACD anyone?
>
> Hev gets a player, plays the music out analog, converts to MP3, and the
> rest will be his story.

No, Hev is too busy to do that. He'll wait for someone else of his
generation to do it.

> In article <1gt22jf.l8ktaervfoo8N%walkinay@thegrid.net>
> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:
>
>> > Um, SACD anyone?
>>
>> Hev gets a player, plays the music out analog, converts to MP3, and the
>> rest will be his story.
>
> No, Hev is too busy to do that. He'll wait for someone else of his
> generation to do it.

*ba dum, shhhhhh*

Ever try stand up Rivers?

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me here:

> hev wrote:
>
>> It is the culmination of the actions of the industry
>
> You competently demonstrate the lack of personal responsibility that is
> presently a disease in America. The situation is actually no deeper than
> that, and technology has nothing to do with it. You cannot control
> yourself and for that you seek to blame something other than yourself.
> The word for that is "pathetic".

If you didn't protest the way the industry behaved before p2p was around you
have absolutely NO RIGHT to criticize anyone now.

-hev

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message

> Ooooh.... Now it's the work of the Devil, huh? Devine revelation there,
> hev,
> or are you discovering that your conscience really lives inside you and
> will
> always remember even when you've forgotten? Life is strange - sometimes
> it takes a lot of years to see things clearly.

Sorry, not religious private. I want artists to be paid. I wish I could
bypass those inbetween.

>> For what it is worth I have removed my music files from the
>> public.
>
> That's odd.... you told us earlier that you only downloaded files; that
> you
> never ripped or made files available to others !

I've never ripped CD's into mp3's. I have made the mp3's I have downloaded
available to others. I never said I didn't.

I've removed them. Happy now? Only 200 million to go.... ;-)

--

"hank alrich" <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote in message news:1gt22cf.1cxznh81hk16hiN%walkinay@thegrid.net...
> Lorin David Schultz wrote:
>
> > Interesting that this post received no replies (at least none that I
> > ever saw).
>
> Apparently the fame was so great that in and of itself it wiped out a
> lot of its own staunchest fans' memories...

One of the only reasons I've let my message cache grow so large,
was waiting to see this list of responses grow under the original
question. I really wanted tp meet a non-porn internet music star.
Oh well, I guess it's time clear the cache and refresh the group.

DM

"George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> So you wrote letters? Protested the labels when this was happening in the
>> 80's and 90's?
>> Where the hell were you guys then?
>>
> on tour with the Dead, who encouraged the free exchange of live show
> tapes, had over 350 at one point

I've always loved the Dead's live tape ethic. One of my favorite bands,
Sonic Youth, has that live taping ethic as well. And my good (drinking)
buddy in college was a dirty hippie who had traveled with the Dead. He took
me along to a hippie show once... old hippy twisting on the table-top and
passing it around. Every MF in the house.... I mean every MF was dancing.
Being used to punk/indie shows from the east it was quite the experience.

Remember, you hippies taught us free love and sesame street taught us to
share.

--

Hev wrote:
> "George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>>So you wrote letters? Protested the labels when this was happening in the
>>>80's and 90's?
>>>Where the hell were you guys then?
>>>

>>on tour with the Dead, who encouraged the free exchange of live show
>>tapes, had over 350 at one point
>

> I've always loved the Dead's live tape ethic. One of my favorite bands,
> Sonic Youth, has that live taping ethic as well. And my good (drinking)
> buddy in college was a dirty hippie who had traveled with the Dead. He took
> me along to a hippie show once... old hippy twisting on the table-top and
> passing it around. Every MF in the house.... I mean every MF was dancing.
> Being used to punk/indie shows from the east it was quite the experience.
>
> Remember, you hippies taught us free love and sesame street taught us to
> share.

I never was , and am too young to have been a "hippy"
I was the manager of a thriving audio-visual company, and a regional
sales manager for NEC electronics during those years as well
brush cut, brooks brothers suits. the whole coporate thing
George

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
> "Bob Cain" <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:
>
>>[...] Do you know anyone in business who willingly pays more
>>than they have to for anything?
>

> Sure, me. I often choose a vendor on the basis of more than just price.
> For me, quality of service, availability of support, flexibility in
> customizing product offerings and delivery guarantees rank as high as
> price in making my choice.

I'd put all that in the category of something you have to
pay for. :)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

> Hev wrote:
>> "George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>

>>>they need to change their attitude from stealing is MY RIGHT to stealing
>>>is wrong
>>

>> Just like you need to change your mind about copyright laws in the modern
>> era? It isn't as black & white as you make it.
>
> stealing is stealing it is simply that black and white

Yup. You are right. Throw them all in jail and lets get on with selling CD's
just like before.

> you have much too narrow feild of view if that is all you see as music
> check out railroad earth, old and in the grey, Boiled in lead, Old Blind
> Dogs,modest mouse, Pyschadelic breakfast,Cletus and the Barn Burners,The
> Hickory project plus thousands of others

I like Modest Mouse a little...

--

hev wrote:

> People are sharing files like they share the sidewalk.

Not. We pay for the sidewalks.

--
ha

Hev wrote:
> "George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hev wrote:
>>
>>>"George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>>Just like you need to change your mind about copyright laws in the modern
>>>era? It isn't as black & white as you make it.
>>
>>stealing is stealing it is simply that black and white
>

> Yup. You are right. Throw them all in jail and lets get on with selling CD's
> just like before.

I really don't have a problem jailing thieves

>>you have much too narrow feild of view if that is all you see as music
>>check out railroad earth, old and in the grey, Boiled in lead, Old Blind
>>Dogs,modest mouse, Pyschadelic breakfast,Cletus and the Barn Burners,The
>>Hickory project plus thousands of others
>

> I like Modest Mouse a little...

like I said open your musical visions
Firfot, Brave new world,Piere bensusan,wendy carlos,
I am proly at a advantgae doing live shows 2-5 imes a week
I get to see LOTS of music
my favorite is traditional hindu sarod/tabla or sitar /tabla

in june I will be working with 3 grammy awarded Polka acts

> in june I will be working with 3 grammy awarded Polka acts

Wow. I don't know if I could handle that.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me here:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:21:17 GMT, George Gleason
<g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>in june I will be working with 3 grammy awarded Polka acts

Some people have all the luck.

Al

Hev wrote:
> "George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>

>>in june I will be working with 3 grammy awarded Polka acts
>

> Wow. I don't know if I could handle that.

didn't think you could
they don't give grammys out for best version of "she's too fat polka"
loveing music is more than bitching about top 40 acts
end of the month I have caribean rap/reagga
David Grisman in July

I am truly thrilled to make my liveing producing live events

> Hev wrote:
>> "George Gleason" <g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>

>>>in june I will be working with 3 grammy awarded Polka acts
>>

>> Wow. I don't know if I could handle that.
>>

> didn't think you could
> they don't give grammys out for best version of "she's too fat polka"
> loveing music is more than bitching about top 40 acts
> end of the month I have caribean rap/reagga
> David Grisman in July
>
> I am truly thrilled to make my liveing producing live events

Yeah, I enjoy the studio more than live events.
That is great that you can make a living doing it! It is important to love
your work.

--

"Troy" <alternate-root@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> You love your panties?????

Who doesn't love panties? But I do love audio more...

--

> How would you feel if a bunch of girly men put panty stores next to your
> panty store and gave their panties away free????
>
> I bet you woulden't like it....It would put you out of business.

Actually a dollar store opened next door and they sold g-strings. But we had
the quality...

--

Hev wrote:

> $10 for 800,000 songs? *scratches head*

You do the math, and figure out how the songwriters are supposed to get
fed. Not that you care.

--
ha