[SOLVED] Door latch found inside a HX1200 psu

Jun 18, 2022
Hi,
I'm new here. I think this is worth sharing,

I just bought a brand new HX1200 psu from amazon, package arrived and everything was fine, all sealed. This morning I opened the package and found something strange in the rear panel, something like a door latch. I opened it and in fact it was a door latch, and a bunch of other metal parts and stuff that have nothing to do with the circuit. All glued all over the circuit with black goo. It is incredible to me that CORSAIR could let something like this happen.

View: https://twitter.com/Davcuriel/status/1538231579234795520

FVjlRM5UEAA5ENu

FVjlRM5UYAEK4Xm

Solution
Agreed! the other interesting thing is it was sold and comes directly from amazon, so obviously that's another weak link and something worth looking into in their investigation ( if any! )
Yeah, the previous customer apparently did a good enough job in resealing the wrap and probably came up with a good enough excuse to make them think it was returned unopened so they just put it back in inventory without any human thought. I doubt that they'll do much unless they can trace that specific unit's serial number through their system. Plus with the volume they do its not cost effective to spend the time it would take to investigate, so they'll probably just dump it. The really bad thing is that they keep records of the volume and...
Hi,
I'm new here. I think this is worth sharing,

I just bought a brand new HX1200 psu from amazon, package arrived and everything was fine, all sealed. This morning I opened the package and found something strange in the rear panel, something like a door latch. I opened it and in fact it was a door latch, and a bunch of other metal parts and stuff that have nothing to do with the circuit. All glued all over the circuit with black goo. It is incredible to me that CORSAIR could let something like this happen.

View: https://twitter.com/Davcuriel/status/1538231579234795520

FVjlRM5UEAA5ENu

FVjlRM5UYAEK4Xm
Um, you left out the most important part: precisely who did you purchase this from and who shipped it to you? Was this a sold by Amazon or was it one of their third party sellers? Was it fulfilled by Amazon or one of their third party sellers? Or was it from one of their warehouse deals where someone may have returned it and they just shrink-wrapped the box without examining the contents?

Jun 18, 2022
You need to return the item to Amazon. However, when you opened the PSU, you voided the warranty (as I am sure you know).

I would not use this PSU at all.
Yes, replacement is on its way. I posted this in reddit because I thought it was something relevant to be aware of. People there are calling it bs and I cant blame them. It is surreal something like this could happen.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, replacement is on its way. I posted this in reddit because I thought it was something relevant to be aware of. People there are calling it bs and I cant blame them. It is surreal something like this could happen.
If legit (I have no opinion either way), then that was likely a resold PSU. Re-sealing a box would be trivial and could very well look like an unopened item to someone else.

Was there a serial number on the box and did it match the one on the PSU itself?

Jun 18, 2022
I suspect someone else purchased and wasn't happy so they then did the deed. You are the unfortunate recipient of the "joke".
Yeah could be possible. Was sold as brand new and factory sealed tho, also was "factory sealed"and I got to break the inside box seal, but as someone suggested, it could have been tampered with too. Bad luck I guess...

Brand new sold from amazon direclty ( no 3rd party, no refurbished, no deal ) Arrived factory sealed from top to bottom, no signs of it being used/opened
Well at least this time someone will examine the return so no future buyer will have to worry about receiving bogus merchandise. One final curiosity; it looks like the writing on the door latch is English; I can't see well enough, is that Schlage? Since the real units are manufactured in Taipei Taiwan if that's English writing it would point to the damage being done by a previous U.S. buyer.

Jun 18, 2022
In your picture above (second one with the latch inside), you can clearly see that the PSU was tampered with.

All that matters is that Amazon believes it and exchanges it for an "unlocked" version....Get it?
interesting, how is that? if you mean by the bump on top, it was like that because was so packed with this stuff it barely hold, but could be done on assembly too

Jun 18, 2022
Well at least this time someone will examine the return so no future buyer will have to worry about receiving bogus merchandise. One final curiosity; it looks like the writing on the door latch is English; I can't see well enough, is that Schlage? Since the real units are manufactured in Taipei Taiwan if that's English writing it would point to the damage being done by a previous U.S. buyer.
It reads "Scovill"

It reads "Scovill"
That's even more curious since that company has apparently been out of business for decades. I do have to wonder if there's someone out there using the guts of the original unit out in the open without any case. A mining rig perhaps? Its sad that there are people out there that will do anything to save a few dollars and you have to be inconvenienced by their greed!

Jun 18, 2022
That's even more curious since that company has apparently been out of business for decades. I do have to wonder if there's someone out there using the guts of the original unit out in the open without any case. A mining rig perhaps? Its sad that there are people out there that will do anything to save a few dollars and you have to be inconvenienced by their greed!
Agreed! the other interesting thing is it was sold and comes directly from amazon, so obviously that's another weak link and something worth looking into in their investigation ( if any! )

Yeah, the previous customer apparently did a good enough job in resealing the wrap and probably came up with a good enough excuse to make them think it was returned unopened so they just put it back in inventory without any human thought. I doubt that they'll do much unless they can trace that specific unit's serial number through their system. Plus with the volume they do its not cost effective to spend the time it would take to investigate, so they'll probably just dump it. The really bad thing is that they keep records of the volume and amount of every purchaser's returns so now yours will be tarnished.

Solution
Jun 18, 2022
Yeah, the previous customer apparently did a good enough job in resealing the wrap and probably came up with a good enough excuse to make them think it was returned unopened so they just put it back in inventory without any human thought. I doubt that they'll do much unless they can trace that specific unit's serial number through their system. Plus with the volume they do its not cost effective to spend the time it would take to investigate, so they'll probably just dump it. The really bad thing is that they keep records of the volume and amount of every purchaser's returns so now yours will be tarnished.
This makes a lot of sense, thank you for your input. Pretty interesting thing about return records. I might write them about it, it just sounds unfair. Thanks!

Reactions: dwd999

TRENDING THREADS