Doors On, Or Doors Off

jabailo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
About 2.5 years ago I built my desktop computer. High end, for gaming (NX8800, top of the line at the time) but not too fancy.

I went for a super-duper power supply, and 64bit AMD X2.

So, the ASUS M2N-E had a number of BIOS settings including Fan Speed: Quiet, Optimal, Performance

For a long time I had mine on Performance which meant the fan was on all the time.

Recently I got a much better Internet connection with my Clear upgrade to their new Wimax service so I'm watching streaming movies all the time.

Now, before the fan didn't bother me so much, but with the movies...yes. I tried stepping it down to Quiet and Optimal, and the noise went down, but it seemed like the backside of the PC was always a bit hot.

Out of frustration...I took the doors off of my nice, sleek black PC case.

And suddenly the noise stopped entirely even while on the Performance setting! And the back of the computer is nice and cool.

I actually dont mind the look because my widescreen monitor covers up the side of the PC anyway...but I'm just wondering:

1) Why do you think my fan ran all the time in the first place (as in what did I do wrong in building it)
2) What is a normal behavior for a gaming PC
3) Why did the fan get so quiet and cool with the doors off -- was it just bad case design (not enough intake).

jabailo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

There is a fan at the top of the case built into the power supply.
There is one on top of the AMD chip and one on the nVidia card.

Looking at the side panels (what I called doors) it looks like there are punch holes for a fan to be added (at least on the side opposite the motherboard).

Although the fan in my power supply (which as I said I paid a premium for) is large, it doesn't seem to be blowing much air right now -- but this is with the doors off and the computer is relatively cool to the touch.

PSU fans remove air from the case.....CPU fans circulate air inside the case.....single slot GFX cards circulate air inside the case. So all you had pulling air thru the case is the PSU fan......my son's box has 8 case fans ....not counting CPU, GFX card and PSU fans