News Doritos Crunch Cancellation Tech Eliminates Chip Chewing Noise

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Of course, the proper technique for eating Doritos at your PC is to open the bag and shape it so you can easily dump chips into your mouth, when tilted slightly, without having to touch the chips with your fingers. Wouldn't want to get the messy flavoring stuff all in your fancy keyboard & mouse.

Yuck, grosses me out just thinking about it.

🤢

I do love Doritos, but I never buy them. I've taken to referring to them as "a bag of weight-gain".

Reactions: drivinfast247

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Anyway I'd imagine the crunch is a carefully-tuned part of the brand and "experience", so doubt they'll totally eliminate it...
Crunch is important for the one eating it. There have been studies showing it improves perception or prompts people to eat more... I forget, exactly. But there are important reasons why these companies keep making crunchy snack foods.

Listening to someone else crunching away quickly gets annoying. You'll still be able to see them eating chips, on their feed.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
My personal bugbear isn't the sound of food crunching, it's the sound of people talking with their mouths full.

It does something to me, and not in a good way.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Mr Furious? Is that you?

It so very easily could be :D

Add lip smacking, food slapping noises to that too. I legitimately have to leave the room and is a reason I could never in a million years watch a mukbang video (as if I would anyway).

It's an actual condition called Misophonia.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
This should be perfect for movie theaters!

Perfectly suited to cancel the noise of those morons who it seems go to movies primarily to stuff their faces and let everyone know they sound like neanderthals!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
My personal bugbear isn't the sound of food crunching, it's the sound of people talking with their mouths full.

It does something to me, and not in a good way.
Perhaps it's due to mirror neurons. I find it uncomfortable to listen to people (on the radio, podcasts, etc.) talking while smiling.

Add lip smacking, food slapping noises to that too. I legitimately have to leave the room and is a reason I could never in a million years watch a mukbang video (as if I would anyway).

It's an actual condition called Misophonia.
My sister read through a questionnaire for 23 & Me (genetic analytics provider) and that was one of the things they asked about ("Are you bothered by listening to people eat?"). So, either it's heritable or they thought it might be.

.I also have found I don't like listening to people eating. I used to work one desk over from a guy who chewed with his mouth open. Between that and the smell of his food (which frequently involved steamed cabbage and other smelly vegetables), I would often have to leave my desk until he finished.

BTW, I had a Tseng ET4000 (the card was Cardinal or Paradise...). Some of those CPUs, also. My first was 8088.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This should be perfect for movie theaters!

Perfectly suited to cancel the noise of those morons who it seems go to movies primarily to stuff their faces and let everyone know they sound like neanderthals!
I wear earplugs at movie theaters, because the sound is usually too loud. That also cuts out a lot of incidental noises.

Plus, I like to go towards the end of a movie's run, when the theaters are pretty empty. That lets me sit where I want & move if I need to.