Question DOS BOX

OldRon

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
First let me say that DOS was not an option. My CNC milling machine monitor went into an endless loop and knowing that it was going to happen I purchased some laptop displays removed from new but damaged laptops and some VGA driver boards.

1st problem is that adjustments made with the OSD board are not retained so every time I turn the machine on I have to make a screen adjustment. I can live with that but I think that it ties into my 2nd problem.

2nd problem is that I frequently leave the machine powered up but I turn the display off to prevent screen burn in. When I turn the monitor back on then I get an error message, "Out of Range'. There is no problem on boot so it must be the refresh rate or resolution. There is no refresh rate parameter but I assume that is what the 'Clock' parameter is.

I realize that this is out in left field but I can't be the only one wandering around out there.

OldRon

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Your saying you already replaced the panel?
It could be the new panel is different from the old one and you need another origional panel.

The original display was a CRT and replacement cost ranges from $1,000.00 for used to $1,800.00 for new. A person would have to be stupid to pay that much for a wonky CRT display.

As I stated in my quest for help the display works at boot up with the exception that the vertical position is off slightly. I can live with that because after thirty years I know what the half visible text is. However, I cannot live with the 'Out of Range' error when I switch the display off and on.

https://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz354/CNC4Cheap/LCD Display/Display Collage_zpsvbycggks.jpg

OldRon

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I have solved the OSD parameter adjustment retention problem. The OSD key pad has 6 buttons and 0 instructions. The button that I least suspected, 'AUTO' is the button that burns the parameter setting. That was the simple part.

I removed the display panel from the machine and connected it to a diagnostics computer and it worked flawlessly. That computer had a 640 x 480 screen resolution. In the machine it showed a higher resolution. I don't know if that has anything to do with the 'Out of Range' error message.

Last edited:

OldRon

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
The problem ended up being a hardware conflict and it was extremely difficult to pin point. The only component that I didn't have on the diagnostics bench was the DSP Motion Control board. Therefore I was certain that was the problem.... but it wasn't. After disabling all of the ports and the floppy drive in the BIOS the problem still existed. I was just about to abandon the hardware conflict theory when I decided to unplug the hard drive. BINGO ! I could switch the screen off and on without raising the 'Out of Range' error. It was an old Seagate 249 MB drive with no jumper settings. I never give up because once a technician gives up then they are no longer a technician, they are a quitter.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX