DOS program "Error 2009 : Not enough space for environment"

I am trying to run a dos program on XP. I have copied the autoexec.nt into
the system32 directory. When I try to run the dos exe, I get the above error
message. Can anyone shed some light on what it means?

Thank you
Gary

Gary,
Review the contents of CONFIG.NT in the %windir%\System32 folder.

Does it have entries like these:

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=100

Make it has the line dos=high
and bump up the files=

What does your Autoexec.nt file have in it?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Gary Y wrote:
> I am trying to run a dos program on XP. I have copied the
> autoexec.nt into the system32 directory. When I try to run the dos
> exe, I get the above error message. Can anyone shed some light on
> what it means?
>
> Thank you
> Gary

Maurice

Here is the content of config.nt

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

and autoexec.nt

@ECHO OFF
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

The dos exe program is on an old Novell server. My desktop is running XP
professional.

Gary

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Gary,
> Review the contents of CONFIG.NT in the %windir%\System32 folder.
>
> Does it have entries like these:
>
> dos=high, umb
> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
> files=100
>

> Make it has the line dos=high
> and bump up the files=
>
> What does your Autoexec.nt file have in it?
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> Gary Y wrote:
> > I am trying to run a dos program on XP. I have copied the
> > autoexec.nt into the system32 directory. When I try to run the dos
> > exe, I get the above error message. Can anyone shed some light on
> > what it means?
> >
> > Thank you
> > Gary

No, you can't run Novell server. Last time I looked (some 10+ years ago), Novell server software ran on a dedicated machine.
I suppose if you have Virtual PC software, you might run it in a virtual DOS.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Gary Y wrote:
> Maurice
>
> Here is the content of config.nt
>
> dos=high, umb
> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
> files=40
>
> and autoexec.nt
>
> @ECHO OFF
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
>
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
>
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
>
> SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
>
> The dos exe program is on an old Novell server. My desktop is
> running XP professional.
>
> Gary
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Gary,
>> Review the contents of CONFIG.NT in the %windir%\System32 folder.
>>
>> Does it have entries like these:
>>
>> dos=high, umb
>> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
>> files=100
>>

>> Make it has the line dos=high
>> and bump up the files=
>>
>> What does your Autoexec.nt file have in it?
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Gary Y wrote:
>>> I am trying to run a dos program on XP. I have copied the
>>> autoexec.nt into the system32 directory. When I try to run the dos
>>> exe, I get the above error message. Can anyone shed some light on
>>> what it means?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Gary

I can run the same dos program over the network using Win98 OS on my desktop.
The Novell server is a legacy system which runs a database; we need to get
data from the old system every now and then. It works if I use VNC to connect
to another desktop with Win98 OS and running the DOS program on that pc.
However it is rather slow.

Thanks
Gary

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> No, you can't run Novell server. Last time I looked (some 10+ years ago), Novell server software ran on a dedicated machine.
> I suppose if you have Virtual PC software, you might run it in a virtual DOS.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> Gary Y wrote:
> > Maurice
> >
> > Here is the content of config.nt
> >
> > dos=high, umb
> > device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
> > files=40
> >
> > and autoexec.nt
> >
> > @ECHO OFF
> > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
> >
> > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
> >
> > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
> >
> > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
> >
> > The dos exe program is on an old Novell server. My desktop is
> > running XP professional.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Gary,
> >> Review the contents of CONFIG.NT in the %windir%\System32 folder.
> >>
> >> Does it have entries like these:
> >>
> >> dos=high, umb
> >> device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
> >> files=100
> >>

> >> Make it has the line dos=high
> >> and bump up the files=
> >>
> >> What does your Autoexec.nt file have in it?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Maurice N
> >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> >> -----

Gary,

Post a summary of your needs & situation to the group
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User