gd05

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
My friend called me saying that he was having a problem with his computer. Everytime he turns on his computer as soon as it boots up (before it gets to Windows) the monitor goes into standby mode and will not respond to anything. His computer skills are very limited to I told him I would fix it for him. Based on the sounds of it this sounds like a denial of service virus to me. I haven't gotten it from him yet however to save time I was wondering how I should go about removing this. If possible there are several files he would like off of the hard drive. I was wondering if there was any way to recover from the virus with out reformatting the hard drive and if so what would be the easiest way to go about doing this. Thanks for your help.

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Can you run a repair of winxp (im assuming he is running xp)? If not make sure your computer has good virus protection and try his hdd in ur pc as the slave then try running a scan. As it isnt the windows drive atm it should be able to get into some files that are normally off limits because of windows.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
DoS = Denial of Service.

There is no such DoS 'virus' that stops PCs from booting the way you mentioned, you appear to have completely confused DoS attacks with something else.

passing-thru

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
I think your friend's HDD might be corrupted.
Do what mad_fitzy suggeted.
Plug his HDD into your PC (as a slave),
do a virus scan,
do a disk checkup,
and finally backup all the files that you want to keep.
Re-install the OS if necessary after returning the HDD to your friend.

groy08

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I have a virus problem with my wife's computer that may be on the lines of these problems. After the post-boot messages, just before the windows graphic I get a DOS message that says:
FREE DOS!
Phat BOOT KERNEL GO!

Then a flashing cursor below. No other activity or messages. You can get around it by doing an F8 and choose Load last known configuration that works.

AVG doesn't pick it up. MSCONFIG doesn't show anything strange. You CAN NOT RESTORE TO A FEW DAYS OR WEEK BEFORE since you get an "INCOMPLETE RESTORE" message after an attempt.

Questions: Has anyone experienced this before?
What do I have?
Any cures?

Thanks for any help.

Download the free version of AVAST antivirus and let it run a boot scan .

http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html